Quantcast

Reducing travel in a DC Shiver

fatire

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
Rally, NC
Is there any way to do it? Has anybody done it? What problems did you have and do you recommend doing it or selling and getting a different fork?

I've had the fork for a couple of years and love it. However, I'm riding a hardtail now and would like to remove maybe an inch and a half off of it. Before people start bagging on me (that would be people that don't know me), let me tell you that I WILL break a SC if I ride one. I've been through more forks, frames and wheels in the last several years than I care to remember. So I want a burly, DC 6 inch fork for my hardtail.

grimm

Monkey
Jan 12, 2002
Sweden
maybe youd want to check out a stratos mx6? shouldnt cost you a whole lot, and from what i know they are strong. my s7 is anyway. just a suggestion!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
grimm said:
maybe youd want to check out a stratos mx6? shouldnt cost you a whole lot, and from what i know they are strong. my s7 is anyway. just a suggestion!
The MX6 is definitely heavy(nearly 8lbs), but its construction isn't very current. Despite being heavy, it's not very stiff. The cartridges are also prone to failure (the glide-ring in particular).

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
fatire said:
Is there any way to do it? Has anybody done it? What problems did you have and do you recommend doing it or selling and getting a different fork?

I've had the fork for a couple of years and love it. However, I'm riding a hardtail now and would like to remove maybe an inch and a half off of it. Before people start bagging on me (that would be people that don't know me), let me tell you that I WILL break a SC if I ride one. I've been through more forks, frames and wheels in the last several years than I care to remember. So I want a burly, DC 6 inch fork for my hardtail.
I supose you could reduce the travel by finding yourself some damping cartrigages from a Super T and running those in your Shiver. I've had a few Bombers apart and they all seem pretty much the same on the inside, the older ones that is.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I am not familiar with the Shiver internals, but can you hack up some springs to change the height of the negative and compression springs, to drop the travel down?

mikedee69

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Van City
Rik said:
I am not familiar with the Shiver internals, but can you hack up some springs to change the height of the negative and compression springs, to drop the travel down?
There are no negative springs in the Shivers, at least in 01 to 03. That's why they top out like mad. But hacking up the compression spring and making new spacers would work.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
mikedee69 said:
There are no negative springs in the Shivers, at least in 01 to 03. That's why they top out like mad. But hacking up the compression spring and making new spacers would work.
There are no visable negative springs. I'm sure they are still in there though, I have a cartridge setting out and I can pull it and get a little bit of travel out of it. They never top out like mad, if they do you have something broken in the fork. To access the negatives, you'd have to cut into the cartridge, that's why it is impossible to do.