Quantcast

rear wheel is slipping!!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
hey all of you i need a good idea to keep my rear wheel put!

the setup:
Banshee morphine frame
hope bulb rear hub
8" rotor

problem:
hub slips back a bit on the disc only.

tried solution:
really tight QR

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sir_Crackien said:
hey all of you i need a good idea to keep my rear wheel put!

the setup:
Banshee morphine frame
hope bulb rear hub
8" rotor

problem:
hub slips back a bit on the disc only.

tried solution:
really tight QR
that "solution" doesn't help because it squeezes the hub together, puts crazy loads on the bearings, and it will mess up your hub...

unfortunatly, you are seeing what the problem is with horizontal dropouts. I hated them for this.

THe only real solution is to convert your rear hub to a BMX through-axle, you can get this done at pretty much any bike shop, and you'll use axle-nuts to tighten it. With this setup the bearings will not "squeeze" together and you will get much better grip and it eliminates the slippage.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
will not work on the hope hub. they use a weird system to mount the axel to the bearings and in this hub the bearings are not loaded when you tighten down the QR.

but i think i'm just going to get a bolt-on SS hub from woodman. that will for sure solve the problem.

also i work at a bike shop. there is no easy why to make a hope hub bolt on! :nopity:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sir_Crackien said:
will not work on the hope hub. they use a weird system to mount the axel to the bearings and in this hub the bearings are not loaded when you tighten down the QR.

but i think i'm just going to get a bolt-on SS hub from woodman. that will for sure solve the problem.

also i work at a bike shop. there is no easy why to make a hope hub bolt on! :nopity:
nope, you are going to have to change.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I meant that you are going to have to change from the hope hub to something else.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
the reason it slips is the Morphine was meant for a bolt on rear hub. the best thing is to find a new hub. i know Banshee can get you some basic hubs for fairly cheap.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
What QR are you using? had similar problems with my old frame, until I used an old steel shimano QR - they seem to hold the wheel tighter than any others. knurled washers might also help, but the change of QR did it for me.

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
Pick up a Surly Tuggnut

Ever stomp on the pedals just to have your rear wheel slide forward in the dropouts and throw your chain? We have....using all kinds of hubs in all kinds of frames. There are lots of BMX-style tensioners out there, but few of them fit in our dropouts without some serious grinding. So, we decided to design a chain tensioner that will keep that rear wheel static in our dropouts...and most other kinds of rear-facing horizontal dropouts. Plus, ours will open up a bottle o' brew. The body of the Tuggnut is investment cast in stainless steel for durability. It features a thumbscrew, for tool-free adjustments, and 2 axle holes for a wide range of fore/aft wheel positions. The Tuggnut comes with an aluminum adapter that reduces the axle hole from 10mm to 6mm, so you can use it with quick-release axles, in addition to nutted axles. We sell it as a single, because you really only need one...on the drive side. But, if you absolutely need one on the non-drive side of your rig, to achieve balance in your life, you are in luck...the bottle opener works either way.

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts.html Last part on the lower right.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
PaulE said:
What QR are you using? had similar problems with my old frame, until I used an old steel shimano QR - they seem to hold the wheel tighter than any others. knurled washers might also help, but the change of QR did it for me.
simply increasing the force on the QR is a bad idea.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
How is tightnening a QR really tight any different than tightening a bolt really tight? You're still, oh nevermind, I guess in the case of a skewer you're stretching the skewer and compressing the frame and entire axle, with a bolt on you're just stretching the axle between the outboard nut and the locking nut and compressing the dropout.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kornphlake said:
How is tightnening a QR really tight any different than tightening a bolt really tight? You're still, oh nevermind, I guess in the case of a skewer you're stretching the skewer and compressing the frame and entire axle, with a bolt on you're just stretching the axle between the outboard nut and the locking nut and compressing the dropout.
when you are using a bolt-through BMX axle you are tightening the dropouts between the lock-washers and the axle nuts, when you are using a QR it isn't quite doing the same thing, it is pushing on the bearings. There is a big difference. Try and put your QR on your bike as tight as you can, and try and spin your wheel.

If you make it tight enough, it's like riding with tons of brake-drag, and with horizontal dropouts sometimes this is what it takes (or maybe even not!) to keep the wheel from slipping.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Often with alu hubs and qr you can't get enough tension or the alu hub is too soft to dig into the dropouts on the frame.
If the dropout is smooth and the current hub isn't digging into it you can get a hub with steel locknuts and solid axel. Then just position it where you normally use the hub and tighen the nuts really tight. Leave it for a while and when you remove it the dropouts will have indents from the locknuts. Hopefully when you put the alu qr hub back on the indents will provide enough extra friction to stop it moving.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont understand how a tensioner is going to help anything. it would only stop the wheel from slipping forward, there is nothing still to stop it from going backward.