Quantcast

RC4 spring Question

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I was riding my Tr450 at my friends house and went for this 25 foot double, wind caught me and I ended up just casing it. But when i cased it, my seatpost slammed down in my shock. Its compressed the resevoir down.

The seatpost, was tightly bolted in, and the force is took to the slide the post all the way down must of been insane'

I loosened the bolt and pulled the post back up, the resovoir then shot back up into original position leaving a scratch on the blue knob and a little gash/ scratch in my spring.

Now, i raced Duryea with it and had no problems feeling wise. Should I be good?

rc4.jpg

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
Wow, that's a pretty weird thing. Definitely replace the spring though, it will be very weak in that spot and get worse over time before eventually snapping.

Aug 25, 2011
Wow, that's a pretty weird thing. Definitely replace the spring though, it will be very weak in that spot and get worse over time before eventually snapping.
Ya I thought so too! My post just wont clamp tight enough it seems. Like it turns side to side without loosening off bolts, but its no easy to do.

I cant move the post up or down without loosening the bolts

I cased this jump, and my ass slammed the seat and shot it into the spring! so was just getting some advice before looking for a new one

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
A: ) What were you doing sitting on your seat jumping the bike ? . . . Unless if Im missing something, seat posts dont slam down on there own.

B: ) NO YOU ARE NOT GOOD...I mean isnt it obvious??? Your seat post hits the shock so its fair to assume it is TOO LONG.

C: ) Looks like you may have dodged a bullet here and your shock should be ok...once you've cut out that post !!!!!:thumb:

Aug 25, 2011
A: ) What were you doing sitting on your seat jumping the bike ? . . . Unless if Im missing something, seat posts dont slam down on there own.

B: ) NO YOU ARE NOT GOOD...I mean isnt it obvious??? Your seat post hits the shock so its fair to assume it is TOO LONG.

C: ) Looks like you may have dodged a bullet here and your shock should be ok...once you've cut out that post !!!!!:thumb:

Joking aside

A: I didnt sit down, no way in hell, i valume my nuts. Its when I cased the jump, my foot slipped the pedal, wasnt wearing riding shoes :bonk: Foot slipped off, legs obviously hit the ground, i landed on my seat instead of the top tube.

B: I wouldnt say im good, My post, slid down through the tube. Its a Tr450, i had the post inside the area designated for it, and its about 5 inches up, landed and the seat went from its postion down.

C: The post is a good length, its not sticking out, it just shot down, i cant avoid that

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I'd take the spring off and make sure its still straight. While you have the spring off, cycle the shock on the bike to make sure the shaft isn't bent.

I'm surprised that casting didn't break if it bent that far.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Seat post slammed down, hit resevoir with force and held the resevoir down, loosened the seat clamp, pulled the post up and resevoir shot into its original position
Can't see that happening without severe damage. The bridge is a cast piece and it has quite a strong moment of inertia so it is probable that the main body or IFP body got bent.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
Can't see that happening without severe damage. The bridge is a cast piece and it has quite a strong moment of inertia so it is probable that the main body or IFP body got bent.
im with tacubaya on this one, if you displaced your shocks resi relative to the axis of the shock, there is bound to be damage. im positive fox would say the same thing. you need to contact fox on this.

Put some carbon paste in the seat tube.
and this will certainly help your far less pertinent issue of seatpost slippage.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Seat post slammed down, hit resevoir with force and held the resevoir down, loosened the seat clamp, pulled the post up and resevoir shot into its original position
by shot do you mean literally SHOT back fast and hard or normally and smoothly return to its original position ???

if you really meant to say shot then you have a serious problem with the shock...which isnt surprising at all considering what happened.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
wtf are you all on about? shocks have thin shafts (kinda insulting) and small bushing overlap so the thin shafts bend, the spring remains relatively straight and it looks like the bridge got bent. if it did, it would have not sprung back up.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Personally I think the spring itself will be fine, but I would be removing the shock from the frame and the spring from the shock, and inspecting the shock very carefully.

Cycle it by hand and feel for any abnormal resistance, inspect the neck of the shock for damage or cracks with a magnifying glass, and make sure the shaft of the shock is straight and also parallel to the shock body. May also be worth checking if the reservoir body is still parallel to the shock body.

If all those things check out, you should be fine. I'm surprised the frame doesn't have something to stop the seatpost slamming past the end of the seat tube, it's probably not a bad idea to cut a little off the base of the post. There's no reason the same thing won't happen again, I've certainly landed on my seat before because a foot slipped off.

Aug 25, 2011
I hear you guys

Called Fox, sent them a picture, they said I should be good with the spring, how it is. I did get a new one just to be sure.

I will be at the creek GRT this week and Fox should be there. I will have them take a look at it and make sure everything is good. I havent noticed anything wrong and the shock doesnt appear to be bent permanately. It was only the resevoir that bent down a bit, not the whole shock that compressed

Aug 25, 2011
Appeared that only the reservoir was bent down. When I pulled the post back up the reservoir bent back into original position. I think I dodged a bullet. But will have fox look at it just to be sure. Changing the spring tonight then Friday having fox look. Doesn't appear to be bent down permanently. And I feel no different and see no oil leaking

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
im curious: Exactly how far was your reservoir displaced before it sprung back? a mm? a few mm? a few cm?!

tbh, i am very surprised that the neck piece connecting the shock body and reservoir wasnt so brittle that it fractured. that interface is quite stiff.

Im thinking some interanets exaggeration is is going on here, either on OP's end or on the readers end.

either way, talking to a fox tech in person where you can accurately communicate exactly what happened will be the best to determine what, if anything is damaged etc.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
tbh, i am very surprised that the neck piece connecting the shock body and reservoir wasnt so brittle that it fractured. that interface is quite stiff.
like i said before, it probably didn't even bend there, it bent at the shaft. the spring made it look like the reservoir got bent down.

also, the spring is fine if it didn't score the metal (it doesn't look like it even took off the paint completely)

Aug 25, 2011
It was pushed down a few MM, did just email fox

Yesterday they said my spring looked ok and that little gash wasnt anything bad, however I did just get a 350 lb spring to be safe than sorry

Below are some photos, you tell me if it looks bent
I emailed fox the photos to see what they say, and because to me I cannot tell. I dont notice anything wrong., Fox will be at the pro GRT and will be looking at my shock there too

photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG