Quantcast

RC4 on 2012 Wilson, any better?

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Been running a RC4 on my 2012 wilson for a while now and I've never been terribly blown away by its performance, it's ok but lacks a bit of feel though this could just be placebo as for a few years I'd been running CCDB's and love them. Was thinking of a push elite tune or possibly a new shock? I miss the feel of a CCDB but not sure if it's the right shock for this frame. Any advice much appreciated.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
The CCDB should be an ideal match for the Wilson's highly progressive rear end. As you can see in the link below, there's a significant ramp at the end of the travel. In combination with the progressive nature of the RC4 this results in an overly progressive and harsh ride experience.
A linear working shock will therefore be a much better choice for the Wilson.

A Vivid should work fine aswell.

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.de/2010/07/devinci-dh-2011.html

Last edited:

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Thanks mo(n)arch that goes along with what I've always thought, ive been ragging the bike the past two summers and it's been nagging me how poor the shock feels in an otherwise amazing bike

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A small shaft RC4 would also do all of the above, and leave you with a far more resilient and reliable shock than both the Vivid and CCDB. The new 2014+ version comes with a smaller shaft (same size as the Vivid) and ditches the boost valve for a more linear end of stroke while featuring a retuned compression assembly to suit.

Having tried them all it's my favourite shock currently.

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
Two seasons on a Wilson/RC4 and one season on a Wilson/CCDB Coil. I must have gotten used to the crappy small bump sensitivity and the missing inch or so of travel on the RC4 (250lb spring at 170lbs)... The CCDB transformed the bike, traction and control for days. I increased to a 275lb spring and still experienced better small bump and was finally able to make use of all the travel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Surprisingly, the larger shaft RC4 I ran on my Wilson behaved really well with some increased C and R valving on the main piston. Moreso than even a standard leverage tune. Can't quite explain that one.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
How do you know the new Fox Shock is "far more resilient and realiable" when it didn't hit the market until now? It also will probaly cost 3 times more than a vivid.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You're not very good at reading are you?
I said 2014+, if you refer to your calendar you'll notice it's now 2015, and the shock I refer to has actually been available for purchase since May 2013. However it's technically been around for longer than that since it was designed using pre-existing parts.

I'm not referring to the new RAD shock with external HSR adjustment (again if you read, I said "shaft size same as Vivid" which is not the case on the RAD shock, it is smaller again). In any case though, I see far more issues with Vivids than Fox rear shocks, and this is commonly verified through most multi-brand service centers I know of. In this particular case you get what you pay for.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I'll only believe it if you have a independent study at hand because we all know that you're a massive fox fanboy!

craigyboy

Chimp
Aug 21, 2005
Hacktastic I was thinking about going down this route, there's a guy at a local service place that says he can revavle it for me I'm just not sure how to instruct him to do so, any advice on this front would be much appreciated, the shock badly needs a service so may as well have a crack with the valving.