Quantcast

Random Poly Picture Thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
said the jackass who never stuck his neck out for anyone, never served, and is retiring from the Senate with a pension and healthcare for life
While I have no problem with everything else, isn't he "serving" as a senator? As a government employee, I try to uphold the same principles as I did in the military, but I realize there are more ways to "serve" than just the military. Public service is pretty damn important. Now we could probably lose a few senators or congressmen and do just fine, but the basic idea of public service is you are doing it for your country's good, realizing of course it's not black and white (and neither is military service).

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
While I have no problem with everything else, isn't he "serving" as a senator? As a government employee, I try to uphold the same principles as I did in the military, but I realize there are more ways to "serve" than just the military. Public service is pretty damn important. Now we could probably lose a few senators or congressmen and do just fine, but the basic idea of public service is you are doing it for your country's good, realizing of course it's not black and white (and neither is military service).
I use the term "Serve" in this context to only encompass those who have placed their lives on the line for the rest of the citizenry , Police, fire, EMS, Armed Forces ( including those trained to but not deployed to combat}, not those elected or appointed to offices.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But you need to do at least 20 or become disabled in the military to retire with pension and health insurance for life. You "serve" one term, just one term in the Senate and you are set up. I understand setting up the POTUS for life after term, but damn. But they also need term limits, too. But I digress.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But you need to do at least 20 or become disabled in the military to retire with pension and health insurance for life. You "serve" one term, just one term in the Senate and you are set up. I understand setting up the POTUS for life after term, but damn. But they also need term limits, too. But I digress.
Not really, I know lots of people that aren't really "disabled" and drawing all kinds of benefits, not to mention how the GI Bill has ballooned in the last 15 years or so. I also say that most senators are not starting public service as a senator, although it's a distinct possibility, more than likely they served as a state senator, attorney, mayor, councilman, etc. My point is that usually these people have dedicated to civil service.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I use the term "Serve" in this context to only encompass those who have placed their lives on the line for the rest of the citizenry , Police, fire, EMS, Armed Forces ( including those trained to but not deployed to combat}, not those elected or appointed to offices.
So Police, Fire and EMS dispatchers? Trainers? What about the huge numbers of enlisted and officer support personnel in the military that never put their lives on the line due to their specific jobs? Should they even get benefits? I'm simply saying you can't paint with as broad a brush as you have. Plenty of people within the groups you stated don't even meet the criteria you stated and never put their lives on the line, due to their specific job.

I make the distinction that they are doing this for a bigger cause, for the country. It's not always true in either case, military or civil servant, but I think it's at least what we should strive for.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not really, I know lots of people that aren't really "disabled" and drawing all kinds of benefits, not to mention how the GI Bill has ballooned in the last 15 years or so.
GFF has all his limbs, so he's not REALLY disabled, right? He's such a freeloader. :rofl:

I used every $$$ of my GI Bill and wish it was as much as it is now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
GFF has all his limbs, so he's not REALLY disabled, right? He's such a freeloader. :rofl:

I used every $$$ of my GI Bill and wish it was as much as it is now.
Do we believe members of the military without jobs that risked their lives or were not in the line of fire "served"?

Yep I did the same with my GI bill, but if I got what people get now...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do we believe members of the military without jobs that risked their lives or were not in the line of fire "served"?

Yep I did the same with my GI bill, but if I got what people get now...
Not sure when you got yours but the cost of education is rising at absurd rates. I wonder how the amount offered compares to costs over time?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
all the ems i ever see are in the 200-250 range....not even talking abut the men....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You "serve" one term, just one term in the Senate and you are set up. I understand setting up the POTUS for life after term, but damn. But they also need term limits, too. But I digress.
This is demonstrably false. It's a right wing canard almost as old as time itself.

Because this:
also say that most senators are not starting public service as a senator, although it's a distinct possibility, more than likely they served as a state senator, attorney, mayor, councilman, etc. My point is that usually these people have dedicated to civil service.
It's easy, and fair, to be angry at congress folks for lot's of reasons, but when it comes to pensions/healthcare/etc, they "earn" them and cash them out, just like any other low level government peon.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
while i respect what most of those highlighted do (save for the police,) i dont consider that "serving" nor do i know anyone who considers that serving as well

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
while i respect what most of those highlighted do (save for the police,) i dont consider that "serving" nor do i know anyone who considers that serving as well
I dunno

Oakland, south central Los Angeles and Detroit pretty much qualify as War Zones. All Fire Fighters, EMS and Police wear kevlar body armor while on duty and get shot at on a regular basis.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

According to Houston’s KHOU, Oberholtzer traded in the F-250 to an AutoNation Ford dealership in Houston last November, but accidentally forgot to remove his business’ decals. A representative at the dealership said the truck immediately went up for auction, and most likely exchanged hands many times before ending up on the front lines of Syria’s civil war, piloted by terrorist fighters.
:rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sold his truck to one of those good ole 'Murican Texas ford dealers.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Big difference between serving as an elected official and in uniform...one sets policy yet doesn't live by it, one makes tons of money and one doesnt, one has full benefits that they give themselves, one is subject to the whims of the others struggle to stay employed etc. One expects and accepts hardships related to work, the other gives hardships. One takes benefits, the other earns them...I cant believe this is even a discussion.