Quantcast

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I went to DN's house. The female that answered the door was gorgeous and very friendly, I drove to the Volcano. DN was not there. It was close the Queen E. I drove home. Bacon chips and Dan Dan pickles ftw!
Chaos!

I'm amazed that people can cross these on their little road bikes without eating a concrete sandwich.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Chaos!

I'm amazed that people can cross these on their little road bikes without eating a concrete sandwich.
The tracks compress from 3 lines to 1 after King street and they cant change lanes after that. Double car trolleys take a whole block to stop. I learned when I was little kid to move to the right when I heard the brakes squeal on the corners.... Cool pic by the way....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My geology prof says that if they damned miissouri to arkansas watersheds that the aquifer that supplies 100miilion folks would be resupplied into the next millennium just from the rainfall this year. It seams we have circumvented its resupply with irrigation for Corn....

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The tracks compress from 3 lines to 1 after King street and they cant change lanes after that. Double car trolleys take a whole block to stop. I learned when I was little kid to move to the right when I heard the brakes squeal on the corners.... Cool pic by the way....

As a Toronto resident for over 2 decades, I officially hate street cars. They are the dumbest thing about Toronto, and that's saying a LOT. I could destroy any positives with about 20 negatives per. Such a dumb idea to keep them running, and it will continue to cripple Toronto's traffic flow for decades to come, to the tune of millions upon millions. You can thank Dalton's criminal tenure for keeping them.

And yes, it's a maze of tracks supported by decaying concrete that requires constant repair. It's also responsible for a staggering amount of cycling accidents. 1/3 of cycling accidents in Toronto and Vancouver are directly related to streetcar tracks, and costs taxpayers several million per year in accidents alone. I haven't ever crashed on one (even with road bikes, I can hop them), but I can understand the hazard for the average commuter. There have been deaths attributed to streetcar tracks, one of which wasn't even in use anymore (the cost to remove them is high).

Hate, hate, hate.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My geology prof says that if they damned miissouri to arkansas watersheds that the aquifer that supplies 100miilion folks would be resupplied into the next millennium just from the rainfall this year. It seams we have circumvented its resupply with irrigation for Corn....
Here in Cali Nestle and Walmart are bottling all the water, using expired permits, and selling it to gullible idiots...

http://www.newsweek.com/nestles-california-water-permit-expired-27-years-ago-321940

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As a Toronto resident for over 2 decades, I officially hate street cars. They are the dumbest thing about Toronto, and that's saying a LOT. I could destroy any positives with about 20 negatives per. Such a dumb idea to keep them running, and it will continue to cripple Toronto's traffic flow for decades to come, to the tune of millions upon millions. You can thank Dalton's criminal tenure for keeping them.

And yes, it's a maze of tracks supported by decaying concrete that requires constant repair. It's also responsible for a staggering amount of cycling accidents. 1/3 of cycling accidents in Toronto and Vancouver are directly related to streetcar tracks, and costs taxpayers several million per year in accidents alone. I haven't ever crashed on one (even with road bikes, I can hop them), but I can understand the hazard for the average commuter. There have been deaths attributed to streetcar tracks, one of which wasn't even in use anymore (the cost to remove them is high).

Hate, hate, hate.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Though, lets be honest. Even if we removed all the street cars here, the traffic would still suck balls. The traffic is so horrible here. I miss living in Denver for this sole reason. Where else can you get stuck in a traffic jam at 12am? I know I have a few times on the 401.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Though, lets be honest. Even if we removed all the street cars here, the traffic would still suck balls. The traffic is so horrible here. I miss living in Denver for this sole reason. Where else can you get stuck in a traffic jam at 12am? I know I have a few times on the 401.
Yea it's getting even worse. I left 2 years ago from a nice place in the Junction (moved to Burlington), because it took 45 minutes to get to Dufferin and St Claire. Was just as fast to walk. It's insane. Then you get the kids leading things and making decisions all live downtown and don't care about the commute. They spew nonsense rebuttals telling you to take the TTC. Yea, ok, let's throw another 2m riders onto a system that has an astounding failure rate and is already at it's capacity. Having seen the inside world of Toronto politics, I'm well aware that 20 year olds are running the city. Streetcars then compound the issue. Then they are probably going to tear down the Gardener which is the only connection from west to the DVP. Sometimes I wonder if the collective IQ of city hall is under 60. insane.

And to top it off, they close entire highways for fundraising rides. uhhhh, wtf.

And the DVP floods if it rains for a few days.......

And the gardener is crumbling.

And with pan am games, the Ontario govt is putting out ads to 'help you cope' telling you to bike or walk for the summer.......

But hey, cap and trade! Green energy. Eco! (wool over eyes like I've never seen before)

I've never genuinely hated people until I learned and got involved in Toronto and Ontario politics.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Can't you guys just ride moose?

In a Canadian traffic jam, instead of honking is there a deafening chorus of 'sorry'?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
so what do you suggest?

On the Gardener? It's an essential route. The stats some people are using are completely false and incorrect regarding usage because they were measured during a time of construction, which caused traffic to divert (easily refutable via other sources). and oddly enough now the data isn't available from the City on it's old source (go figure). It's always jam packed, and essential for trucking shipments from the US and Niagara, to the city. Imagine now all that traffic needs to be on roadways in order to get to center or east. It's insane because Toronto is so fucking short sighted in terms of fixing problems and so freaking out to lunch thinking the 'future' we'll all be in hoverpacks so who needs highways anyway??!!! At any rate the traffic was To/from DVP eastbound 33,583 westbound 32,000 in 24hrs back in 2008. I'm sure you can imagine how much more volume that means at all the exits

Location East West
427/QEW to Kipling 111,654 113,699
Kipling to Royal York 110,140 102,586
Royal York to South Kingsway 97,713 108,325
South Kingsway to Parkside 80,559 88,002
Parkside to Dufferin 80,143 86,661
Dufferin to Strachan 77,852 76,712
Strachan to Bathurst 76,001 78,725
Bathurst to Spadina 62,907 61,657
Spadina to York 62,256 57,197
York to Yonge 42,812 54,190
Yonge to Jarvis 40,492 37,925
Sherbourne to Parliament 60,825 49,534
Parliament to DVP 55,420 54,144
To/from DVP 33,583 32,000
East of DVP 20,369 19,566

The condo dwellers are the ones whining about having an elevated road, because it disturbs their entitled views of other condos. In fact, everyone who's blabbering about tearing it down tends to be millennial who don't even drive. Fuck them. My annual taxes are higher than their annual income (fact). The right solution is keeping some sort of highway, because Toronto is extremely short on those, which creates an immense amount of congestion on already narrow roads. Toronto simply can't handle the density that city planners are imagining (they are planning all this with the sole idea that everyone will ride a crappy TTC system). I'm an engineering planner, and I can see holes in their nonsense so wide you could fit another QEW in it.

If you mean street cars, the obvious solution is to remove them and replace with those contraptions call busses, that are a fraction of the cost, can move over to the curb to pick up riders, leaving the traffic flowing and not dead stopped while waiting for the panhandler and driver to finish arguing about the fare. Busses can also detour if there are issues, something streetcars cannot, which has cause hundreds of instances of complete street shut downs in the recent past. It's such an antiquated idea. Having inside knowledge of the decision to keep them on king, I can tell you the main reason was because "they are romantic". I shit you not.

Last edited: