Quantcast

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I never owned a 20" bike. I lived in the Projects until I was 13.
Before I got my first BMX bike, I had an old Schwinn Stingray that had been modified a bit. I could ride wheelies for days on it, all the way down the street, even in circles. Found the balance point every time. When I started racing BMX I never could ride a wheelie like on that old Stingray.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

In 1990 all mountain bikes rode like ass. Most mountain bike designers rode flat non technical trails and had no idea that technical trails were more funner. The year Miyata introduced the Century Redux changed everything. The 175mm crank standard was accepted and roadie parts fell by the way with SIS shifters and mountain bike specific brakes were made. The next year Bridgestone made the MB-1 and the California Clunker was laid to rest.

California Clunker same era:

$20 to the first one who tells me who invented this newfangled mosheene...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
this would have been close to my first Mt Bike (lacking fenders and rack) 1986 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo with that damn under chainstay U brake and Suntour non indexed thumb shiters and front Cantilever brake.

I remember the really wide 1.65 x 26 tires of the day:rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Does pushing my Peugeot UO 8 with skinny tires and fenders up Snake Mountain and riding it down in 1975 count as my first mountain bike? Rear fender folded into the wheel halfway down and required some aah... adjustment to continue...
Yes. Schwinn and Peugeot never made a bike under 40lbs. Peugeot made Schwinn Letours and only Letours. When Greg Lemond won the tour everyone ran out and bought a Letour.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
This wasn't my first Mt bike, but this was my first capable mt. bike...
Haha. It was a cool bike. The very first Alpinestar DH specific bikes used this design. Came with a Judy DH. Rock Shox DH brakes anyone remember those? They were sold at Nashbar. When Nashbar was a shop.