Quantcast

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
three of these are still in service from this 1957 pic. can you name them?
The plane on the bottom of the left edge looks to be a B-57. NASA is still flying two WB-57Fs (which were re-manufactured from RB-57Ds built in the early 50s) in support of military operations. Wired article about them. Cool plane.

WB-57.jpg

Edit: Built by Martin, so there is at least one more manufacturer that is still around (in some form anyway).

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My dad could beat up your science nerd dad.

Drunk new years, me behind the camera, drunk mates trying to write 2013.

I need to meet this chick...
"All these media outlets are taking their information directly from the July 12 Daily Mail story. The problem is that this story—and it’s quite a whopper—is over two years old. It first appeared in April 2009 in The Moscow Times, which even questions if it’s real, noting that Life.ru, which originally posted the police complaint, has been “setting the bar high for sensationalist scoops.” The Moscow Times then links to the complaint on Life.ru, but that link is now dead. Life.ru is now Lifenews.ru, and since it’s in Russian, I had my Russian-speaking friend do a search for the complaint, which was supposedly on the site. No dice."

Forbes

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
True story: My Dad and his team (3 total, he was mgr) designed the first constellation of GPS satellites to go into orbit.

True story 2: For my Dad's senior thesis, he took a series of LED bulbs (circa 1975) and put them into a 10x100 matrix. He then wrote code so that he could enter text and have the text scroll across. He saw tem for sale about a year later and pulled the patent. It was under his thesis Professor's name.

tl;dr - My Dad invented the scrolling LED light board and his professor stole the idea, patented it, and sold a ton of them.
Small world. I actually met one of the guys you're talking about. He owned a home on top of Little Pisgah Mountain here in NC in the late 90's. Last name was Brown. Any chance it was your grandfather?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
True story: My Dad and his team (3 total, he was mgr) designed the first constellation of GPS satellites to go into orbit.

True story 2: For my Dad's senior thesis, he took a series of LED bulbs (circa 1975) and put them into a 10x100 matrix. He then wrote code so that he could enter text and have the text scroll across. He saw tem for sale about a year later and pulled the patent. It was under his thesis Professor's name.

tl;dr - My Dad invented the scrolling LED light board and his professor stole the idea, patented it, and sold a ton of them.
sounds like your dad is a b!tch for not curb stomping that professor

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

He sounds smart, are you sure he is your father?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey lets compare dads. my dad designs and validates cooling systems for nuclear reactors. super cool story #1 he's driven several submarines. super cool story #2 he helped design and qualify the cooling pumps for the last 2 nimitz class aircraft carriers

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
hey lets compare dads. my dad designs and validates cooling systems for nuclear reactors. super cool story #1 he's driven several submarines. super cool story #2 he helped design and qualify the cooling pumps for the last 2 nimitz class aircraft carriers
My dad used to have his name stenciled on the side of one of these things.

The FAA recently awarded him the Charles Taylor Master Mechanic lifetime achievement award.

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Mine took me camping, diving, fishing. Took me motorcycling on ATVs and XR 75's. Also, BMXing in the late 70's. Now will run shuttles for me and ocassionally make a run for himself for himself. He's doing just fine.:thumb:

Prop to him.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
sounds like your dad is a b!tch for not curb stomping that professor
He admits at this point that he didn't know any better, nor how to handle it. Bummer right?

He sounds smart, are you sure he is your father?
Yeah. He is wicked smart. He's one of those outlier guys that is so smart it's painful for everybody around. He also has no small amount of Asperger's Syndrome. He just absorbs numbers and everything around them. That being said, he was so socially obtuse that he didn't have any friends while I was growing up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
He admits at this point that he didn't know any better, nor how to handle it. Bummer right?

Yeah. He is wicked smart. He's one of those outlier guys that is so smart it's painful for everybody around. He also has no small amount of Asperger's Syndrome. He just absorbs numbers and everything around them. That being said, he was so socially obtuse that he didn't have any friends while I was growing up.
I believe the scientific description is "Engineer".

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The entire central nervous system and peripheral nervous system with eyeballs still attached extracted from a human cadaver.