Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I drove a CTS-V recently. The fact that it was a slushbox didn't do it any favors, but I mostly liked it. It feels huge though.

More importantly, what the hell happened to your Vette?
Slush box? Damn... Joe (my buddy with the C6) also has an 05 CTS-V and that bitch screams. Put a monster clutch in it and it's almost more fun than his Vette.

Mine didn't like the black ice or something.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, saw the thread after I posted that. Bummer dude. I tried to take the M3 out for a back road rip on Saturday, only to get to the loop I had planned and find it a bit icy. Decided not to push my luck, which was probably for the best.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, saw the thread after I posted that. Bummer dude. I tried to take the M3 out for a back road rip on Saturday, only to get to the loop I had planned and find it a bit icy. Decided not to push my luck, which was probably for the best.
Good call. Had I been 20 minutes later, I would have only had the gravel to contend with.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
This.
Best example was Rindt. He was trying to convince his mechanics to reinforce the semi axis of his car.
They never did it because of the additional weight (listen MTBers! ;)).

I think we know what happened afterwards. Pretty tragic.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Especially when you see the doc that Rice posted about how fragile the cars where and how they offered no crash protection and were really good at catching fire.
what doc are you talking about? i want to read it.
those years were crazy, no seatbelts (because it was better to be thrown out of the car, than to stay put), trees lining the racetracks, the masta kink in spa in rain... you seriously had to be somewhat crazy to drive those cars.

clark, sitting between dozens of gallons of gasoline.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Guy who runs /owns the Subby dealership by me was an open cockpit racer back in the day...Dieter Frentzen. He still has a car in the shop...kind of a midget thing he still races.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the documentary where the guy burns alive in his car and the safety Marshall's do nothing....
Grand Prix: the Killer Years is the documentary....awesome, awesome film....and really because of the great Sid Watkins, no one has died since Senna in 1994.

there were a few instances of drivers being burned alive or nearly being burned alive. those track marshalls were ill equipped for such things and sometimes their fellow drivers came in to help out (see Lauda/Hunt)