Quantcast

rampage, dammit

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Love me some rampage season here...

Funny a bunch of us were talking about the format and how great it is...Would love to see a little less slopestyle and more 'freeride' get brought back into the sport. Somewhat of a 'mini rampage' series culminating w/ rampage at the end of each season...Otherwise slopestyle is going to end up where bmx has, gymnastics on the same size jumpes every year.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Love me some rampage season here...

Funny a bunch of us were talking about the format and how great it is...Would love to see a little less slopestyle and more 'freeride' get brought back into the sport. Somewhat of a 'mini rampage' series culminating w/ rampage at the end of each season...Otherwise slopestyle is going to end up where bmx has, gymnastics on the same size jumpes every year.
Actually BMX is really awesome as of late.

As for Rampage it's nowhere near slopestyle. Pure dirt jumpers and people who only ride hardtails do shit on Rampage. There are like 3 wooden features on the whole course so less than that would be what ? 2? Come on.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Actually BMX is really awesome as of late.

As for Rampage it's nowhere near slopestyle. Pure dirt jumpers and people who only ride hardtails do shit on Rampage. There are like 3 wooden features on the whole course so less than that would be what ? 2? Come on.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Not that rampage is too slopestyle, but there are too many slopestyle comps throughout the year. I would like to see a similar format to rampage with a series behind it.

BMX has still gotten weird, dudes hucking meat without the style of old.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No one cares really who wins Rampage. No one buys a bike because some dude won Rampage on it and I for one couldn't care less whether it's judged like SS, freeride or gymnastics. For me it's all about shit like this going down and riders walking away alive. (not entirely convinced that will always be the case though :/ )

https://www.facebook.com/brendan.fairclough/videos/603854606390905/

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2015
No one cares really who wins Rampage. No one buys a bike because some dude won Rampage on it and I for one couldn't care less whether it's judged like SS, freeride or gymnastics. For me it's all about shit like this going down and riders walking away alive. (not entirely convinced that will always be the case though :/ )

https://www.facebook.com/brendan.fairclough/videos/603854606390905/
I'll agree that no one buys a bike because some dude won Rampage on it, but you're making it sound like the whole thing is irrelevant, minus the danger, which is not the case. This thread itself is evidence of that. Perhaps you don't care about the results, but there are others who do. The most recent cover of Decline is evidence of that, as well the plethora of other year-round media coverage that results from the event.

It's okay if you don't care about it, but you're just one guy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've never seen Decline ever. I do know what it is though and I'd expect each cover include a dynamic picture of mtb radness with words to make people want to open it. Rampage is very very good for that.
This is a tiny thread in the corner of the internet I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Somehow I guess that the only dudes who care are the ones competing. Remove the chance of bad injury and you have no audience to speak of.
Horseshit.

I want to see every single person in the contest stick the hardest line/run they can imagine. And that would make this the best event ever.

This ain't nascar, no one is wishing to purify the gene pool.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Perhaps you don't care about the results, but there are others who do. The most recent cover of Decline is evidence of that, as well the plethora of other year-round media coverage that results from the event.

Gary is like 119 years old and rides a DH bike with a 70 degree head angle and cable disc brakes while insisting everyone else do the same. We generally just ignore his posts, though occasionally someone new like you gets lured in by his historical charm.

Feel free to join the club.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That. All the dramalamas and Vinc finds an awesome line. Big Props to him.

Gary is like 119 years old and rides a DH bike with a 70 degree head angle and cable disc brakes while insisting everyone else do the same. We generally just ignore his posts, though occasionally someone new like you gets lured in by his historical charm.

Feel free to join the club.
So should I feel old because I also think results are important? Everybody remembers that CG won the Rampage, that Norbs got robbed. No one remembers amazing but loosing runs. .

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That. All the dramalamas and Vinc finds an awesome line. Big Props to him.

So should I feel old because I also think results are important? Everybody remembers that CG won the Rampage, that Norbs got robbed. No one remembers amazing but loosing runs. .
Agreed, like those times Sam Hill won at champery and Val di sol. Who even remembers the guys that didn't win.

Or if were talking about rampage, Bearclaws 3rd place run a few years ago, Mcgarrys run that same year, more recently Straits run last year.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
This thread itself is evidence of that. Perhaps you don't care about the results, but there are others who do. The most recent cover of Decline is evidence of that, as well the plethora of other year-round media coverage that results from the event.

# of people competing at rampage? I honestly have no clue, but maybe 20?
# of people watching rampage? 20 guys, plus 5 friends each, plus 5 family members each, plus redbull, plus media we're up to at least 500 people now.
# of people commenting in this thread? Well, this is about the 100th post. Not all by unique members, so maybe 15-20 more guys.
# of users who will stream rampage live or tune in on the TV? 10,000

Grand total of people who care about rampage = 10,550 people.
# of people on this earth? A lot more than that.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Agreed, like those times Sam Hill won at champery and Val di sol. Who even remembers the guys that didn't win.

Or if were talking about rampage, Bearclaws 3rd place run a few years ago, Mcgarrys run that same year, more recently Straits run last year.
I fixed it for you.
It's the other way around. Outside of RM kids don't know Hill was 3rd 2 times. While "ex rampage winner" is a marketing tool for life. We might not care abbout it but for casual fans results are important. We are far from casual

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pick up your toys an put them back in yer pram Udi. Some of us old fuckers just get on with it and ride our bikes without the need to adjust everything to the Nth degree or own every latest shitty miniscule product advancment in bicycle technology.

I love watching Rampage and actually do know who won most of the previous ones.. I still don't really care. I don't care who wins the WC either. I just want to see awesome riding, next level skills, sketch and dust bombs.
Kelly McGarry could have done with my cable discs at that Energy drink stair-set gong show out in Asia and may well end up with a 70deg H/A if his lucky streak with landings in big events continues. I really hope he lives to tell the tale that guy is awesome entertainment!

(I don't really got any cable discs)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
do you think that there are more people who watch wc dh? does that get broadcast on national tv later in the year? if you care so little stop posting.
I think it comes down to what you and your friends are interested in.

Most of my riding buddies and I race, we don't rampage, because that is where OUR interests are. So I think in my case I "think" racing is more popular, because it is what I like and it's what the people I talk bikes with like.

That said, I thought brendog was gonna die on that brake check, where the hell did he think he was going? Holy smokes those guys are insane.

Sep 11, 2015
# of people watching rampage? 20 guys, plus 5 friends each, plus 5 family members each, plus redbull, plus media we're up to at least 500 people now.
# of people commenting in this thread? Well, this is about the 100th post. Not all by unique members, so maybe 15-20 more guys.

Lulz. Nice math. They had over 250,000 live streams last year. On a Monday, no less.

Good try. Enjoy whatever else you're gonna do with your Sunday.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Lulz. Nice math. They had over 250,000 live streams last year. On a Monday, no less.

Good try. Enjoy whatever else you're gonna do with your Sunday.
Hey, I never claimed to have done any research! 84.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

This sunday I'll be racing my bike down hills at mountain creek. Enjoy it I shall :D

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Whenever one of my non-biking friends sends me a bike video, it's just about always a Rampage POV run.
the clips generate huge viewing numbers - just checked kelly's pov gopro vid - currently at 26.6 million views! rampage is one of the very few mountain bike events that actually draw views outside the core audience.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the clips generate huge viewing numbers - just checked kelly's pov gopro vid - currently at 26.6 million views! rampage is one of the very few mountain bike events that actually draw views outside the core audience.
I'm pretty sure that rampage is one of redbull's most watched/popular events that's not a one off.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I can't get my head around what vink is going to do with that line, it has me afraid for him...
For real, that is nutty stuff. It's like he just stepped back, squinted his eyes to a blur, and looked for something - anything - resembling a line no one else was using. It will be interesting to see how much digging they do and what it looks like at go-time.

The whole poaching lines thing is an interesting side-show during the lead up to the event. Not sure about the official judging criteria (anyone?) but it seems that regardless, riding someone else's line will cost points for lack of creativity. Kind of a raw deal if you weren't there last year, but hey, them's the breaks, make the most of it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
if you care so little stop posting.
Ha ha...

one of the reason I like mountainbikes and BMX so much is that unlike mainstream sports. Participants outnumber non-participating brain dead TV/Pub "Sports fans" like 100 -1 I come from a country where the No1 adult male past time is blindly supporting one particular individual, nation or team often fueled by bigotry/ignorance/intolerance. Never been my thing.

ALL Rampage competitors are awesome. Check this Mathematician/Physicist:

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331752147378/body-of-work-kelly-mcgarry

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay

# of non-mountain biker acquaintances I know who are familiar with Rampage? A few dozen.
# of non-mountain biker acquaintances I know who have anything else to say about mountain biking besides "Did you see that Scottish trials-urban dweeb kid video?"? ZEro

The event has a lot of wider exposure due to the Christmas break rebroadcast, unlike DH or anything else mtb related.
Rampage is probably on the nightly news.