Quantcast

Quick Need Windrock Directions!

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Hey RIght now Im in Murphy NC looking to hit windrock today or tomorow. WHat is the nearest town and can anyone give me some fairly detailed directions on how to get there? Is this place a major ass kicker? As in full armour and spare parts type of thing?

thanks a lot

jtoomey

Chimp
Jan 29, 2003
Knoxville, TN
Downhill Race: From Knoxville
From I-40 westbound, take exit #376A (Pellissippi Parkway/
Highway 162N) Proceed north on Rt. 162 for 6-7 miles.
Watch for Rt. 62 merging in fromright. Stay left into
Solway community. Cross Clinch River. Stay on 62 through
Oak Ridge to Oliver Springs. After the highway overpass
and at bottom of hill across from Historic Downtown Oliver
Springs (on left), Turn right on Windrock Rd.
Follow Windrock Rd. to parking area on left

There is a required Land access pass that can be bought at many of the gas stations near if there is not anyone selling them up there. I would not chance getting caught without one. Cost is 10.00/ day or 50.00 per calandar year. There are places to stay in Oak Ridge which you go through on the way ot Windrock. Devestation to bike and body depend on how you ride it. Full face and chest protector at the least I would say. You will also need a driver to shuttle you. It is a very long push to hte top.

Jonathan

jtoomey

Chimp
Jan 29, 2003
Knoxville, TN
I believe that last year any racer had to have a pass. I believe that will be the same this year. I will find out later today and get back to you.
Last year spectaters did not need one, and that may change this year. That is another important question that should be addressed.

Jonathan

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Better directions:

OK, here is a more simple direction list.
I-40 West....soon as you get out of Knoxville proper, look for the BIG GREEN SIGN THAT SAYS "OAK RIDGE". Go to Oak Ridge (30 minutes). maybe 10 minutes past Oak Ridge, you'll go over 3 bridges in a row(all named after people). There will be a bunch of BIG RED BUILDINGS on your left below the road.

At the end of the 3rd bridge, TURN RIGHT (the sign for Windrock Rd is teeny, tiny). Drive til it dead ends at Deliverance....I mean the parking lot. :)

jtoomey

Chimp
Jan 29, 2003
Knoxville, TN
Entrance fee 30.00 + 10.00 for land access fee, unless you have a yearly pass.
As of now anyone up the mountain will have to have a pass, rider or spectator. If this changes I will post it as soon as I find out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
....and having driver 2 hours to ride on a constant basis, I state that it is WELL worth the fee. Know anyplace else it takes you less than 10 minutes to get to the top of a 5-6 minute run in a shuttle? 4-5 trails to choose from.

Definitely, if you haven't ridden there before, go Saturday and ride all the trails before focusing on the race run for Sunday.