Quantcast

Pull Shock bikes

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
don't think so. The last I recall was the Yeti DH-8 (which I rode for a couple of years)

mrpercussive

Monkey
Feb 11, 2007
CA
I think Scott came out with a few AM bikes which were pull shock. Think they're only availaible in Europe though... Me on the other hand, dont see the need for another standard... lols. I think compression works better than pulling anyways. I also believe, the pull shocks wore out bushings weirdly... The ones on the old Yeti DH9 wore out the left side quicker or something if i recall correctly...

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
Anything that would "snap" that shock would most likely also seriously damage the down tube on any given number of bikes. Personally I'd rather replace a shock than a frame but that's just me. It would take an awfully large odd shaped rock or log to tear that off the frame, even with the suspension fully compressed. I imagine it could potentially happen given the right circumstances, but it's probably pretty unlikely. I'd be more worried about wear and tear on the shock from dirt, mud and small rocks than anything else.

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
Pull Shock bike:

Ancillotti DHP 2008

15^ place at the last world championship at Commezzadura.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
Sorry, but it does, here is a better pic of the bike:

Yep, and that better image of the bike shows pretty clearly that is NOT a 'pull shock'. They custom build their own shocks & have the reservoir positioned in a pretty unconventional way, but that’s about it. It's basically the same suspension design as a Brooklyn RaceLink.

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
vena, ancillotti's it's not a pull shock system, as in the shock isn't being pulled, but pushed
the leverages that actuate the shock are what is being pulled in the ancillotti scheme
they just misnamed it (everybody knows we italians s*ck so bad at english : D )
[sono walks di mtb-forum.it, se vuoi te lo spiego in italiano]

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Haha Vena got Pwned by clever marketing. I like ancillottic drawing ties to suspension bridges and parachutes in describing their supperior suspension deezine.

Pull - as a few before me said - is describing its swing arm to rocker arm relationship. instead of activating the shock like a turner, it works similar to an old giant DH team (not exactly like most jap moto's however). They have a nice compact design, and got around the swingarm-shock resevoir bottom out interference by going with the funky flipped resevoir design (which prolly throws alot of people off and further impounds the idea of it using a pull shock)

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
this one is sweet:

I actually saw that bike in person way back when- one of the owners of Barracuda Dave Southwell showed it to me- scary stuff. It used the same Works Performance pull shock as the old Buell Schwinn bike. Believe it or not, they had another prototype bike that used the same shock that was even more scary.

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
Heres my buddy riding his schwinn/yeti pull shock dh bike. i has a custom machined rear link that gives it 8 inches of travel .

Last edited:

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
Yep, they call their suspension system 'pull shock'. BUT... The shock absorber that is used in their so called 'pull shock' system is a regular shock absorber that could be swapped out with a revox, DHX, Avy, CCDB or any other conventional shock with the right eye to eye & stroke. (save for any clearance issues with the reservoir)
I hope that you can see the difference in the way the shock is actuated by comparing it with the other suspension designs pictured in this thread that do use a pull type shock absorber (notice the spring hanging out one end on the schwinn & yeti?).

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yep, they call their suspension system 'pull shock'. BUT... The shock absorber that is used in their so called 'pull shock' system is a regular shock absorber that could be swapped out with a revox, DHX, Avy, CCDB or any other conventional shock with the right eye to eye & stroke. (save for any clearance issues with the reservoir)
I hope that you can see the difference in the way the shock is actuated by comparing it with the other suspension designs pictured in this thread that do use a pull type shock absorber (notice the spring hanging out one end on the schwinn & yeti?).

I thought I read somewhere that you could only use there shock. something about an oddball EyE to EyE, and something with clearance issues

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
I thought I read somewhere that you could only use there shock. something about an oddball EyE to EyE, and something with clearance issues
Wouldn't surprise me. From reading the website I get the impression that they like to do things their own way. Interesting that they spec Marzocchi up the front, thought they might have had something a bit rarer & more exotic to match the rest of the bike.

edit: i2i = 228mm, stroke = 68mm for thier DH shock - so yeah, oddball size.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Wouldn't surprise me. From reading the website I get the impression that they like to do things their own way. Interesting that they spec Marzocchi up the front, thought they might have had something a bit rarer & more exotic to match the rest of the bike.

edit: i2i = 228mm, stroke = 68mm for thier DH shock - so yeah, oddball size.
Thought it was something like that, In all honesty thats really the only ting that turns me off on there bike, Proprietary rear shocks are teh Devil. specially when you have a problem and need service!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
just for clarification, the "pull shock" the original poster was referring to is only the type of damper. Push shocks are any shocks where the i2i distance of the damper decreases as it moves through its stroke. Whereas a "pull shock" the i2i distance increases as the damper moves through its stroke.

The "pull shock" that Ancillotti is referring to is the linkage of the frame, not the damper itself.

edit: oops, maybe i should've read page 2 of the thread. d'oh

Last edited:

bikemonkey

Chimp
Feb 1, 2008
Santiago, Chile
Ancillotii came up with this linkage suspension system years ago, like in the 80,s if not earlier. it has been widely used on mx bikes since then and eventually moved to bikes. ... so we really should say, it's basically the same suspension design as a ancilotti.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ

14 inches of travel... scary...
it actually had a higher BB than my cheeta did!!!:shocked:
i never beleived it possible...
Whatever happened to this guy? Lots of machining went into these puppies. To bad the shock units were ticking pipe bombs that would always explode at the most convenient time, I carried 2 extra JIC. Even with todays advancements in shock tech, my version of merts bike still seems to sit in its sag better than similar designs currently using compress units. Planning to revisit pull shock system for the end stroke of other bike I am hatching together. Working on rigging up something rediculous to look at for vegas, tired of looking at the same crap every year.
Were the hell is Sandwich? Find my bike at vegas and you get a door prize!
Yo mama so ugly, we can dunk her face in some dough and make some gorilla cookies. "Fred G. Sanford", King of the yo mama Jokes, RIP!

CraShRyDer7

Monkey
Feb 1, 2008
franklin lakes
that seems pretty nice. i dont think i wouls trust it much compaired to a compresion shock. it seems more vulnrable to breaking on a bottom out compaired to other shocks

Apr 22, 2008
Rotorua, NZ

14 inches of travel... scary...
it actually had a higher BB than my cheeta did!!!:shocked:
i never beleived it possible...
Sooooh, any more cool pull shock **** out dere? Hoped frankenstien jr would have poped out wit some bling by now! Until then gotta give props to GSR, ran into the man ages ago somewhere in cali, admire him and his work.