Quantcast

2016 Rocky Mountain Maiden

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
meh. I think the serious chat had been discussed.

Topic: New rocky mountain proto.

Considering no one has ridden it and there are only a few photos to go from, what can really be said? The frame looks a bit like an old Ironhorse that an used Ellsworth ICT tech rear end. No one really rode that either though, so again, what can be said?

I think people making points about a bike they haven't ridden makes less than sense than conversationa bout nachos.

same goes for the race threads. barely anyone has ridden the course, the riders and mechanics out there know better than we do, why not have a laugh and enjoy the real news as it trickles in from Vital and dirt.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
it,s a Rocky i seen a black one several weeks back when we where up in Whistler , the one i seen had Rocky down the down tube the frame was flat black and the lettering was a shiner black color you could just make out the name thru the dust all over the bike Thomas Vanderham was riding it

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
it,s a Rocky i seen a black one several weeks back when we where up in Whistler , the one i seen had Rocky down the down tube the frame was flat black and the lettering was a shiner black color you could just make out the name thru the dust all over the bike Thomas Vanderham was riding it
My eyes!!, make it stop, please. I think I was able to comprehend enough from this unstructured mental spewing to realize he was confirming what we already knew. One of the more painful thread additions I have ever wished I had never read.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
My eyes!!, make it stop, please. I think I was able to comprehend enough from this unstructured mental spewing to realize he was confirming what we already knew. One of the more painful thread additions I have ever wished I had never read.

and yet you felt compelled enough to respond thanx :thumb:

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
What's the big difference if the rear axle is fixed to the chainstay (Kona) vs having a pivot there (RM, Trek, Norco)?
i know my Kona is considered a single pivot design as the axle and main pivot being on the chain stay , the others the axle is on the seat stays ar considered a 4bar and the suspension ramps differently

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
What's the big difference if the rear axle is fixed to the chainstay (Kona) vs having a pivot there (RM, Trek, Norco)?
Braking performance is the main difference - when the pivot is on the chainstay or concentric to the rear axle (RM/Trek/Norco), the instant centre of the suspension (the point about which the brake caliper is effectively rotating as the suspension moves) is a lot further forwards. Exactly how far forwards and how high it is, is dependent on the geometry of the specific bike and its position in its travel at any given moment, but the geometry (pivot locations) of all these are reasonably similar so we can make some generalisations. In the simplest possible terms, this means that when braking, the rotation of the wheel is less able to rotate the brake caliper (and the link to which it is attached) forwards, which reduces the wheel's ability to influence the movement of the suspension. In marketing terms, this is "isolating the braking forces from the suspension", or in more accurate terms, reducing the influence of braking on suspension movement.

For all intents and purposes, it has little effect on anything else - moving the pivot from the seatstay to the chainstay does not change the axle path significantly enough (the change is almost zero in actual fact) to have any substantial effect on axle path, and because with any given gearing & BB height, axle path is the overwhelmingly dominant determining factor in pedaling performance, it doesn't really have any substantial effect on that either.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
not that i know of, mine has been fine.. hell, last time i rode it, i ate **** and dislocated my shoulder (bike is okay though) :)

like anything though, you have the kona haters who like to post pics of broken operator frames... although the one weird thing that i have noticed is out of all the (pre-carbon) broken operators ive seen, they are all the base model and not the 'preme ones. despite them being the 'same thing', i have yet to see a broken supreme operator. i was also told that 2013 models have a slightly thicker DT. (i couldnt confirm, since it didnt come from kona, but thats what i was told)

i think i may have seen one broken entourage.. for whatever reason, the haters like to dog pile on the operator while the entourage doesnt get much attention.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i chatted with the local Kona rep last friday at the bike shop , he said they changed the DT and rear chainstays in 2013 and the bike is slightly heavier . if a bike has broken it,s been due too casing a landing/crashing not poor quality design or manufacturing , my Kona is 5mths old now and i have yet too look at any pivots .

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
i chatted with the local Kona rep last friday at the bike shop , he said they changed the DT and rear chainstays in 2013 and the bike is slightly heavier . if a bike has broken it,s been due too casing a landing/crashing not poor quality design or manufacturing , my Kona is 5mths old now and i have yet too look at any pivots .
How come they changed the down tube then?

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
They revised the frame for 2013 to make it a bit beefier in key areas...

I've ridden mine (2013 operator, non supreme, not stock) for around a year now and had absolutely zero problem with it apart from snapping 2 shocks, though... 2013 kage on the first ride and a 2014 double barrel on the second ride.) Both got warrantied and now the bike has been flawless since august

Other than that, it's so crazy fun to ride and fast through the rough stuff that I kinda feel like not even wanting to sell it for the plastic one

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Other than that, it's so crazy fun to ride and fast through the rough stuff that I kinda feel like not even wanting to sell it for the plastic one
+1, havent ridden mine in a month or two... shoulder got dislocated last time i rode and i still doesnt feel all the great.. need to stop being a pu$$y and get back on it!

other than that, i didnt know about the thickened CS, only the DT. so thank you for that knowledge

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Gib me those forkz. The frame looks strange. Though I really hope they finally offer a really good dh bike. Their trailbikes are dope.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm confused about this thread. The title clearly states carbon, yet the first bike pictured in the first post is clearly one of two things.

1. A carbon bike with "welds"
2. An Aluminum bike that appears, aluminum.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
I'm confused about this thread. The title clearly states carbon, yet the first bike pictured in the first post is clearly one of two things.

1. A carbon bike with "welds"
2. An Aluminum bike that appears, aluminum.
Doesn't take much to confuse people on this forum does it :oops: