Quantcast

2016 Rocky Mountain Maiden

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
You get in the lift line at Whistler again unlabeled, unknown to see bikes. Sometimes, there are already rumors of what brand something is tested - so here currently circulating rumors of a new downhill bike from Rocky Mountain. Whether it really originates from Rocky or not, we do not know.

What is seen on the phone photos:

- Large storage
- The damper is hinged on a rocker and is not floated, but supported on the main frame.
- Four-bar linkage with Horst Link
- Two mounting holes for the rear axle
- 26 inch

large_RockyMountain_Prototyp_Downhill-26.jpglarge_RockyMountain_Prototyp_Downhill-27-2.jpglarge_RockyMountain_Prototyp_Downhill-27.jpg

www.mtb-news.de

livanh

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
Technically thats not a Horstlink, but we.
Nice to see a new DH bike from Rocky, their other new bikes have all been awesome.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ Was going to say how's it not a horst link? Pivot in front of, and below the rear axel looks like a horst link to me....

Neat looking ride. Wonder what company is running this.

livanh

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
Well its kinda hard to tell, but since all rockys circumvent the horst link patent with a pivot above the rear axle, i more or less assumed this would be the case too. i still think its the case here, hard to tell with those pics though

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
AhhHAAAA!!!!Brilliant!!! That is not a Rocky Mountain, it's a Specialized! OK; Decoy is the concentric pivot bike with yellow shock and Specialized rider in a team jersey. The real deal is a Trek copy for Gwin because he just can't win on that damn Demo. The rider is incognito as not to draw attention...genius.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my money would be on norco as that's kind of a ringer for the aurum, but the aurum doesn't really need that much revision from the look of it.

but that's how you do an incognito prototype...no paint, no matchy jerseys, parts that work instead of parts that your company is partnered with...

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I'm guessing that the person riding the proto would also be a dead giveaway as to what company it is. Vanderham? Simmons?

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
two axle mounts... if it's 10mm apart could be 26 / 650B convertible...

nice proto but sorry i must say it look like ... T...

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Well its kinda hard to tell, but since all rockys circumvent the horst link patent with a pivot above the rear axle, i more or less assumed this would be the case too. i still think its the case here, hard to tell with those pics though
Seems pretty clear to me. The pivot is on the chainstay.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
he's not referring to that, he's referring to the location of the pivot on the horizontal plane in relation to the rear axle, which was part of the horst patent.
Good point. I fell into the trap of categorizing all 4-bar bikes with chainstay pivots as Horst Link.

Last edited:

livanh

Chimp
Jun 17, 2011
he's not referring to that, he's referring to the location of the pivot on the horizontal plane in relation to the rear axle, which was part of the horst patent.
looking at this pic again, the location of the axle seems to be nearly on a plane with the pivot, but the other, longer option seems to be higher ? maybe not only for different wheel size testing, but also a test from "whatever rocky calls their 4bar" to a more normal horst link style position.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for this kind of multi-link configuration, axle on seatstays = horst link and axle on chainstays = single pivot. Here, the axle is on the seatstays, so it's a horst link. Too simple?

With the axle on the seat stays and connected by links, the wheel path of a horst bike can be modified as compared to the rotation of the chainstay around the main pivot. That is true of this bike. That would not be true if the axle was on the chainstays - it would be a single pivot with linkage-driven shock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
looking at this pic again, the location of the axle seems to be nearly on a plane with the pivot, but the other, longer option seems to be higher ? maybe not only for different wheel size testing, but also a test from "whatever rocky calls their 4bar" to a more normal horst link style position.
its impossible to tell from the angle in the picture.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for this kind of multi-link configuration, axle on seatstays = horst link and axle on chainstays = single pivot. Here, the axle is on the seatstays, so it's a horst link. Too simple?

With the axle on the seat stays and connected by links, the wheel path of a horst bike can be modified as compared to the rotation of the chainstay around the main pivot. That is true of this bike. That would not be true if the axle was on the chainstays - it would be a single pivot with linkage-driven shock.
i think you have seat stays and chainstays confused.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That is too simple. If you dumb everything down to that, suddenly DW-link, lawwill, and all the rest fall under the horst patent. Not sure what exactly the qualifiers are for Horst.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is too simple. If you dumb everything down to that, suddenly DW-link, lawwill, and all the rest fall under the horst patent. Not sure what exactly the qualifiers are for Horst.
"Horst Link" suspension is a type of four-bar linkage suspension. It is characterized by having both connecting links pivot on the seat tube, with the lower pivot located above the center of the bottom bracket, and the rear axle being located higher than the pivot connecting floating link and lower connecting link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension#Horst_link

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
When the pivot on the chainstays is below the rear axle it falls into the horst patent. Rocky skirts the patent issues by having the pivot inline and or slightly above the rear axle.

100% positive it's the new Rocky, and I am about 98% sure it's Jamie Biluk riding the proto.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No. My approach may be too simple but I'm clear on which is which.
wow my bad. i'm illiterate today apparently. where you said axle i thought you said pivot :doh:

edit: to clarify in conjunction with my above posts, it's not just having the pivot on the chainstay, but the location of that pivot in relation to the rear axle.

Last edited:

muddyfox

Monkey
Feb 13, 2002
North Vancouver, B.C.
It's the new Rocky Mtn Flatline and there are a number of guys with them, Biluk, Bryson, Adrianno along with a number of Rocky employees, they are now on the 2nd Generation, been around for a while. Also expect to see some new Slayer proto's around.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
It's the new Rocky Mtn Flatline and there are a number of guys with them, Biluk, Bryson, Adrianno along with a number of Rocky employees, they are now on the 2nd Generation, been around for a while. Also expect to see some new Slayer proto's around.
ha, just saw Bryson's pic and was about to post something similar....

Last edited: