Quantcast

Prototype Foxy XR ‘Zero stem'

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Interesting..
http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Prototype-Foxy-XR-Zero-stem,13076/sspomer,2

"ChrisP at Mojo Suspension just posted this up...pretty interesting.

Ever since I saw Cesar Rojo’s bike at the Trans Provence I have wanted one of these! A large Mondraker Foxy with a REALLY long front triangle designed to be run with a ‘Zero stem’. It has DH bike wheelbase at 49 inches, DH bike handlebar to axle relationship (for confidently loading the front end on steep downs) whilst still keeping a ‘normal’ head angle for low speed work and for climbing. I can’t wait to finish it and try it out! It’s mental that I can finally get an XC bike that is longer than ANY stock DH bike! Good on Mondraker for being brave enough to make it! There’ll be a Zero stem Foxy and a Zero stem Dune in the range as an XR for the 2013 product year"

I like the idea,Discuss.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Rotec and Azonic just slapped their zero stems on existing bikes without compensating for the ludicrously short effective top tube length it leaves you with to get on the "short stemz is more bettar!" bandwagon though, didn't they?

Actually building a bike with a longer top-tube around the idea of a zero-stem is a bit of a step forward surely, because short stems are actually better for aggressive riding, so long as they don't leave you with a thumb-kneeingly short effective top tube length.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Actually building a bike with a longer top-tube around the idea of a zero-stem is a bit of a step forward surely, because short stems are actually better for aggressive riding, so long as they don't leave you with a thumb-kneeingly short effective top tube length.
Yeti already has the short stems in mind with their production SB66. Check out the TT lengths...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Actually building a bike with a longer top-tube around the idea of a zero-stem is a bit of a step forward
you might qualify that "step forward", with the assumption a 49" wheelbase trail bike is a good idea...

my 47.5" wheelbase bike is a bit of a pita to trail ride around here due to some tight switchbacks occasionally that currently require a ton of body english, balance and trials steeze to ride, where on a 46" wheelbase bike you can just pedal right up them.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I don't necessarily equate climbing steep switchbacks with aggressive riding, but that might just be a function of living here. I'm really only interested in the benefits it could potentially offer on the steep descents myself but different strokes for different folks obviously applies, hence the differentiation in the aggressive trail bike market.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
49" for a trail bike? Has he considered the chances of getting it around a tight corner?

Considering your average DH bike has a wheelbase in the 45-47.5" region (and at the upper end of that is a little tedious in tight sections, as marshalolson pointed out), I'd say he's taken his idea a little too far. A steeper head angle nor a zero stem are going to compensate for the sheer length of that bike.

But maybe he's really tall and rides trails with only large radius corners. :)

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
My 29er trail bike has a wheelbase of 48.5. Felt super long at first...didn't like it. But after three rides I adapted and changed my riding style. Doesn't feel long anymore and it's a definite benefit for the downhills. Wouldn't recommend it if you ride only tight stuff, but if you favor fast downhills (which most of us should right?) then I can see advantages...

That said, my perfect do everything bike would not be 48.5. Maybe 47.5.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
exactly...stole the words out of my mouth
Don't really have any opinion on the Mondraker, but I had a 1998 Rotec and that was the longest friggin bike on the planet (including top tube) outside of a recumbent at the time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so f'ing old it's new again
like carbon

you might qualify that "step forward", with the assumption a 49" wheelbase trail bike is a good idea...

my 47.5" wheelbase bike is a bit of a pita to trail ride around here due to some tight switchbacks occasionally that currently require a ton of body english, balance and trials steeze to ride, where on a 46" wheelbase bike you can just pedal right up them.
I honestly don't know how anybody will be able to ride a 49" wheelbase bike on virtually anything besides fireroads. The chainstays on my bike are massive and it makes it a nightmare on very twisty trails. I'm usually apt to justify my purchases but I just can't on this bike. I understand that's not necessarily the point of the mondraker, but I just think this is silly. If you only ride DH, it might make sense...I guess I keep forgetting that a "DHers trailbike" never goes uphill.

Also, the GF "genesis" 1 geometry is pretty much used on every bike nowadays. They just lengthened the top tube and shortened the stem length (part of the reason nobody uses 120mm stems anymore) to slow down steering and balance the bike out. It was a great idea, honestly, but it comes with wheelbase effects, and taking it to the extremes above gives you a 49" wheelbase. It'll be a cool experiment, anyways.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Gary Ficsher had the long top tube short stem trip about 10 years ago for marketing.
yeah, gary was ahead of his time - closer to 20 years ago he introduced long tt, w/ short stem & shorter chainstay geometry, as well as a 1.25" headset standard - which, if it had been adopted universally then might have circumnavigated all the variations we have currently.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
yeah, gary was ahead of his time - closer to 20 years ago he introduced long tt, w/ short stem & shorter chainstay geometry, as well as a 1.25" headset standard - which, if it had been adopted universally then might have circumnavigated all the variations we have currently.
But he wasn't the first to do wagon wheels as he's more commonly and erroneously credited (note its also wrong about Marin, CA - the MTB was invented in the UK long before that by the Rough Riders). Geoff Apps built the first the 29er MTB 30 years ago.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But he wasn't the first to do wagon wheels as he's more commonly and erroneously credited (note its also wrong about Marin, CA - the MTB was invented in the UK long before that by the Rough Riders). Geoff Apps built the first the 29er MTB 30 years ago.
Stages began and ended in the middle of the night, which is a lot like watching Versus or whatever they call the Bob Roll Channel now.

:rofl:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
The owner of the Fox UK distro/service centre doesn't have a kashima rp23? I thought we all needed to upgrade because the benefits were oh so noticeable?