Quantcast

profiles/azonic 454 differences?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
to me, they look like virtually the same crank, maybe a little different in shape, but nonetheless very similar. same BB type no? so would there be much of an advantage in getting profiles over azonic 454's? the profiles are more expensive.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
the 454's have a pinchbolt and the profiles dont (the pinchbolt is unneeded), the 454's are a good bit heavier and the bb is not the same. The only similarities between the two is that they are tublar 4130 3pc cranks.

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
the bb on the profile has 48 "tooth"(spline) and the azonic has 10...no big deal but the profile has a life warrenty, is it for a euro bb or mtn? i got a euro bb on my mountain and the bearings are fragile(any catrige bearings on bmx crank for mtb are fragile...) i had both of them and i love my profile!! :heart:

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
Yeah, the Profiles and Azonic's are totally different. I'd say Profiles are worth the extra $. The Azonic's are heavier (I'm pretty sure) and use a larger spindle, which means scary-thin bearings if in a euro bb. Oh, and if you wear pants while riding, they catch on the pinch-bolt part. The set-up is a lot more idiot-proof than the Profiles though.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Profile cranks are much better in terms of quality and finish...I would buy them over Azonics anyday...oh and yes I have owned both...although the Azonics were in the buy/sell forum soon after I got them;)....D

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
MaD666MaX said:
the bb on the profile has 52 tooth and the azonic has 10...no big deal but the profile has a life warrenty, is it for a euro bb or mtn? i got a euro bb on my mountain and the bearings are fragile(any catrige bearings on bmx crank for mtb are fragile...)

its a 48 spline spindle on the profile

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i have 454's and have had no complaints other than the spyder coming loose cause i am a wuss and can't tighten things down..
as far as pants catching??
i wear super baggy pants that drag all over the ground when i walk in em as well as your regular fit type and i never have any problems
i got my 454's used and there still running strong and the bearings are like 8 bucks to replace and i havne't had to yet (1yr)
that being said if i had money to blow i would get profiles but i am perfectly happy wiht the 454's
i would look at www.unrealcycles.com that place has some sick stuff!!