Quantcast

Pretty insane Rotec Pro Downhill frame/bike "restoration"

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Wow loving it. Rotecs were da sh*t back in the days. The wheelbase was so looooooong!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ha, I saw that bike on PB and thought about picking it up to have something cheap this season to dick around on. I'm glad he got it, as it looks like he loves it. Nice work!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I didn't think this sport was old enough for a retro bike restoration project, but that is 100% awesome. I need to sell my old cars and start a project like this.

Did you see the guy is also starting up a bike company? Can't wait to see his designs. Although I hope they don't pivot around the BB...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i was wondering when 'vintage' dh bikes were going to start to become collectable - ie, when we olden bastards become nostalgic and begin to dust off some of the cobweb covered hardware. nostalgia + disposable income = trick projects like these. it's happened in bmx and it's going strong in the early mtb (80's-early 90's) scene. the trick stuff is being hoarded and prices are jumping. curious to see what happens. i love to see projects like this regardless.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
DANG IT- I want to see the whole bike!!!! That was awesome, thank you for sharing :)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That's really cool. Definitely have a soft spot for those bikes. I used to have that same model back in the day built with a Risse Champ. Interesting to see the build is not full retro and more of an exercise in modernization/restoration/optimization.

As bad-ass as that project is, anyone else notice the tool box/table this bloke has? WANT :drool:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
anyone else notice the tool box/table this bloke has? WANT :drool:
I know, right??!?

Anyone venture a guess if it's stainless or just plain steel bench top? I want to cover my work benches with metal, but am currently weighing options/prices.

Back to the Rotec- I would love to see an actual modern version of this frame. I wonder how well it functions with a shock to make up for the concentric pivot?

Last edited:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I know, right??!?

Anyone venture a guess if it's stainless or just plain steel bench top? I want to cover my work benches with metal, but am currently weighing options/prices.

Back to the Rotec- I would love to see an actual modern version of this frame. I wonder how well it functions with a shock to make up for the concentric pivot?
It's stainless. Steel = Oxidation unless it's covered in oil.

Yes, back to the Rotec

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Galvanized makes a decent compromise between protection and price. I have the 'engine tear-down' section of one of my benches done that way and it's held up well for about 20 years.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
xy9ine- i sold my old fat chance titanium frame a few years ago for more than i bought the entire bike with full xt for in the 90s. i wonder when the random beat dh crap in my basement will be worth similar $ :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The one thing about DH bikes is most of them are already beat to crap. I think it would be tough to get the retro thing going with bikes that are beat to piss. I guess we'll see in a few years. There was a guy on MTBR that had just redone his sts lobo...that was kind of hot too.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
The one thing about DH bikes is most of them are already beat to crap. I think it would be tough to get the retro thing going with bikes that are beat to piss. I guess we'll see in a few years. There was a guy on MTBR that had just redone his sts lobo...that was kind of hot too.
On the flipside, now that bike designs are starting to stabilize, the old/retro bikes are going to stay more relevant for kids, sport riders and just-for-fun dudes. Other than the big issue of parts availability, a 2005 IH Sunday should still be ripping in 2015. The earlier generation of bikes... not so much.

MX bikes have been like this for like 20+ years, and it's kinda cool that the newest technology is only a little bit better. DH bikes from 95 to '05 are light years apart in capability.

Though this may be seen as a negative from the big bike manufacturers, from the resorts and shop perspective, lowering the barriers to entry means more customers.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Apparently river rafting has had market saturation with durable products, which has hurt the manufacturers. Bmx bikes for the past five or six years seem to have reached a plateau IMO. Interesting to see what dh will do...

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
^^ Strip it, do an all-over 'engine-turn' pattern with a brass cup brush and shoot it candy red :D.
Funny you say that, I was thinking polished, but with the big Tomac letters done with the exact finish you describe. I even tried to google it and find out what that kind of finish is called and couldn't find it anywhere...and yet we both had the same idea. Kind of a retro, 1930s air racer or vintage race car look.

Horror Business...thanks man! Unfortunately that picture was taken when it was new. It no longer looks that good. The black powder coat is pretty dull, so it needs a new finish. Those bikes were bombproof tanks though, so I'm sure it's got a lot of life left in it.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Nice 204!

I still have mine hanging in the garage. I don't miss the insane rear hub/axle setup (17 X 170 ?) and the chain running along the stay in 9th gear with anything less than a 44t ring. I also remember it having a crazy wide BB and the Mr. Dirt POS of a guide. I ended up swapping some hardware to get an E.13 to fit. Wasn't too bad for a first bike from what I remember.

I bookmarked the thread, can't wait to see the finished/rolling product!

Last edited:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Funny you say that, I was thinking polished, but with the big Tomac letters done with the exact finish you describe. I even tried to google it and find out what that kind of finish is called and couldn't find it anywhere...and yet we both had the same idea. Kind of a retro, 1930s air racer or vintage race car look.
haha - - funny we were on the same wavelength. I've seen a similar finish called 'wired' but believe that was more random and not a regularly-spaced engine-turned look. Just the letters would be tricky to achieve - - might have to 'mask' it with the same type of rubber that monument makers use to sandblast lettering in stone.

An easy alternative would be to get the lettering cut out of vehicle vinyl in engine-turned red. (funny, until I just searched, I thought it was only available in silver or gold)

Last edited:

Segunda

Chimp
May 7, 2007
Nice rebuild.
Did my own refurbisment in 2007 of an '02 Cortina Europa DS.
Too young to be a classic then i guess.
She lasted a full season of general boosting around, didn't spare the old lady and she held up great.
Right now she's a shelfqueen because the main bearing gave in.

This thread got me seriously scavenging for parts ! Keep it coming ;-)
I feel you guys on rinding classic DH-frames that must have had the snot beaten out of them.
Does alu age bad ? Can one put a timeframe on how long a general-structural-strongness-thingthat should remain thrustworthy ?
I'm 100% shure this frame had no 'accidents' and was, realy, realy, only gently ridden by a girl. Would you do this old lady ?

Before:

After: