Quantcast
  1. XenForo is here. Problems or comments on the new site? Please report them.
  2. New stuff: Our new Classifieds have launched. Check them out!
  3. New stuff: You can now tag users in posts using the @ symbol, and they'll get a notification that they've been mentioned. Try it out.

pressing headset cups with grease

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by MisterMental, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MisterMental New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    why do some people put grease on the inside of the headtube when pressing headset cups? i dont get it. surely you dont want to be greasing this kind of press fit? its not like you want it to come loose and who cares if its a slag to knock the headset cups out cause its not like you do it very often especially with cartridge style bearings that can be changed without replacing the cups.
    #1 Nov 3, 2008   
  2. sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Permanent install methods is a good way to find out that you need buy a new frame because your $30 h/s went bad.

I don't it is critical to grease cups during installation. And if your headset moves, it ain't because of the grease.

But with any metal on metal contact, grease will minimize creaks, make the installation easier, and prevent seizure.
    #2 Nov 3, 2008   
  3. MisterMental New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    surely if your headset creaks and you aint used grease to press it then your headtubes on its way to being oval anyway?
    i can understand it with deep press headsets like king steelset etc but i dont really see the point on regular headsets
    #3 Nov 3, 2008   
  4. sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I don't disagree but there is no downside to using grease.
    #4 Nov 3, 2008   
  5. HAB Chelsea from Seattle

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   5
    Necessary? Probably not. Any reason not to? No.
    #5 Nov 6, 2008   
  6. H8R Cranky Pants

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    All interfaces between any metal parts on a frame need grease to prevent creaking and aid in installation. If the cups press in smoothly there is less chance of the HS or frame being damaged. It also acts as a seal to inhibit moisture from entering the frame. Aluminum corrodes people. Keep it clean and greased.

Only place on a bike where you DON'T put grease or lube is square taper BB's and of course grips. That's it.
    #6 Nov 6, 2008   
  7. ultraNoob Yoshinoya Destroyer

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Lube = easy in and easy out... EoS
    #7 Nov 6, 2008   
  8. bdamschen Active Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
    I'm calling you on that one. You can't possibly want to put grease between your stem and bars... right?? Or even stem and steer tube.
    #8 Nov 6, 2008   
  9. H8R Cranky Pants

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Abso-fvcking-lutely. My bikes never creak.
    #9 Nov 6, 2008   
  10. -dustin boring

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    some top mechanics will not grease headtubes/ headsets, if not most. it is a press fit system that relies on friction. these bikes are kept for a year, though, and go through hell. we've had a few discussions about this at the shop.
    #10 Nov 6, 2008   
  11. sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Carbon is the obvious exception to greasing h/s, although there might be metal inserts for the headtube.

Actually, I've never installed a h/s into a carbon frame. I wonder if they are all made with integrated h/s's just for this reason.
    #11 Nov 7, 2008   
  12. Brian HCM#1 MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Media:
    I always use a white Teflon grease when pressing in headset cups. I guess that's why all the CK headsets I install DON'T creak. It definitely won't hurt.
    #12 Nov 7, 2008   
  13. dhspeedster New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Grease is for moving parts people. If you'resticking a headset, BB or anything else like that into a frame, you want to be using an anti-seize compound like copperslip.
    #13 Nov 8, 2008   
  14. RayB Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Stack height and fit.

The Colnago C50, though for example, takes a press-fit headset.

If it's a high-quality frame (read: not some Taiwanese catalog crap) built with tight tolerances, and pre-build prepped well, you don't need to use a drop of grease. Not necessarily "shouldn't". It's not going to cause any harm. Yes, it will make installation "easier" (as if pressing in a headset is all that hard). Yes, it will make hammering it out, should you ever need to, "easier".

Whether or not you grease your headset cups before you press them in has no bearing (pun not intended) on whether or not your headset creaks. Think about it.

Spend the money and buy a quality headset. Prep your frame. Install. Go ride!!
    #14 Nov 10, 2008   
  15. MisterMental New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    well im only saying this because when i was working at a shop we never did and i got a letoy3 frame and a blackspire headset from another shop and they used grease to press it and shortly after the headtube ovalised. no crashes only 120mm forks. and my boss said that it was partly because the headset was pressed with grease and partly because of cheap alu headtube. and ive just got a s/h sx trail and it has a hope headset pressed with grease and am worried that itll go the same way. im planning on taking the hope headset out and binning it and putting a pig in with cermaic bearings.
    #15 Nov 10, 2008   
  16. pee dot one New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    causing turmoil in the south east for a while
    Any metal to metal contact needs grease, or your headset will become one with your bike, given the correct amount of time and use. Greasing has nothing to do with ovalization, usually with bad cases or hucks to flat. I have greased every headset on every bike I own, and never have had a single issue.
    #16 Nov 18, 2008   
  17. robert80 New Member

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Grease isn't just for moving parts. Anyone ever compare the resonant frequencies of a bolted connected when greased and ungreased? It's higher (more rigid) when greased.

In short, grease makes an appreciable difference for static interfaces too.
    #17 Nov 26, 2008