Quantcast

Post your dumbest MTB related injury.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Here I sit in a cast for at least 3 more weeks. I am missing out on some prime riding and racing right now.
Which got me thinking, Ridemonkey is stocked full with morons. I bet some of your dumb injury stories will make me feel better about my own. ;)
So, post them up.
Here is mine.
I was doing laps on my pump track getting ready for a slalom race that was coming up that weekend.
I have probaly done over 1000 laps on this track in the last couple of years. So, I come out of a downhill berm, which is the fastest part of the track. I drift to the left of the next roller and put my bar into a chain link fence. My pinky finger went into the fence and the rest of me kept going. The twisting motion of my hand, caused a nasty spiral fracture
in my hand. Doc said I was borderline on if it would heal in a cast, but that is the direction he advised me to take.
So, I have a few weeks to really breathe in my fail.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'd say my dumbest injury was breaking my wrist 10 days before my son was born. I wasn't all that helpful in the delivery room with my arm in a cast.... it was in a little straight away between two berms. I must have slipped on some loose rocks, went over the bars and apparently punched an immovable object (probably a rock) so hard that I fractured my radius. good times.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I've had some really dumb ones, but my pinkie finger was by far the worst. I crashed into a section of clear plastic snow fence that someone had stretched across the trail in a blind section, breaking my pinkie. I thought I'd be a hero and just tape it to my ring finger so I could still ride and it would heal. Six weeks later, it was worse than ever, nowhere near healed. Had surgery, 2 screws installed....7 weeks after that my finger had healed wrong (twisted) so that it stuck out when I made a fist. Had another surgery, moar screws, finally it was all good.. 4.5 months off the bike because of a stupid fvcking pinkie finger.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Last november I was on an XC ride and I snapped the CF steerer tube on my fork while railing a turn, I went over the bars and the remaining part of the steerer tube cut my leg/thigh pretty deep. It took me 2 and a half hours to limp out of the woods then two good simaritans took me to the hospital. The doctor said the cut was less than a half inch from my femoral artery and the bib shorts I was wearing kept me from bleeding out. Just had my first bike ride since the accident a week ago.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The dumbest thing that resulted in a serious injury was catching a pedal in whistler and breaking my wrist. Similar kind of thing where I just drifted to the side a bit too much.

And I can't count the times I've been ripped off my bike after getting snagged on a branch that could have been easily avoided. Along with various cuts and scratches, I cracked a rib one time with that genius move.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
First, sorry to hear about breaking one of your metal horns fingers Jeremy, but it sounds like you'll be good to go for the first Beech race.

As for me, I have an impressive menu to choose from, but the most memorable is probably when I was riding a local trail which as it so happened had a nice DJ section. At the time, I was just transitioning into "freeriding" from XC and had never really had a bad spill, and thought perhaps my incredible cat like reflexes and/or frequently declared support of the FSM would protect me from all potential cycling related injuries. So we rolled up on the DJ line, and since we were riding with a new guy on a Kona Stinky, I needed to demonstrate (with authority) who's d!ck was longer. Thusly, I hit a fairly decent sized DJ with saddle up, saggy Camelback flopping about, on my sweet Marin Wolfridge and cased the amoral fvck out of the lander. Got bucked OTB and just augered myself into the ground, which after detangling my Camelback from the top of my helmet, I discovered I tore all the connective tissues off my collarbone on one side. Hence this nifty shoulder lump:

I'm not sure how impressed the guy on the Stinky was, but I didn't see him again out there, so I guess I won that round. Somehow I didn't actually break any bones, and was back on the bike in a couple of weeks. Will also say it was nice getting jacked full or morphine at the ER and laying down some mean lady rap on the nurses, which surprisingly didn't yield any positive results. And, I've almost convinced myself to get a "Evil Dead" bad Ashe eyeball tatted on the lump, so this may have some legs yet.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Last november I was on an XC ride and I snapped the CF steerer tube on my fork while railing a turn, I went over the bars and the remaining part of the steerer tube cut my leg/thigh pretty deep. It took me 2 and a half hours to limp out of the woods then two good simaritans took me to the hospital. The doctor said the cut was less than a half inch from my femoral artery and the bib shorts I was wearing kept me from bleeding out. Just had my first bike ride since the accident a week ago.
That's awful Matt. Makes me never, ever want to use a carbon steerer on a mtb fork.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I broke my hand doing a bronco once.

A bronco is taking one hand off the bars and slapping your back tire a minimum of two times. Doesn't count unless you yell 'yeehaw'. Only time in my life I've ever missed putting my hands back on the bars on a 'trick'.

I had them pretty dialed but had to explain why I wasn't riding the second half of a summer. That was worse than the injury.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Probably my dumbest crash that yielded serious injury was when I first got into downhill. I went to Blue Mountain in PA with some friends for a birthday ride. I had just got my new Intense M1 and it was a bit too big to say the least. But at the time it was just the coolest and notting being able to touch the ground was going to stop me from riding it!

Anyways, so it was my first run down with some friends, Now keep in mind I am not skilled as this is extremely early in my career! I got about halfway down when the trail brakes. Some guys from the CRC team ripped by us, and we thought, lets follow. Little did we know we had just signed a death wish! This had to be about 60 degrees steep, all wet roots and rocks. Super technical! I went over the bars once. Got back up, push off. ( you know that run you do to jump on a bike when its too big) I was doing that run got on, and with no feet on the pedals went over the bars again, this time something hurt, I thought its probably a bruise, and wanted to ride it down to the bottom. Kept riding, severe pain, got into another shoot, OTB again, this time I landed on my shoulder. At this point I just gave up, walked down and sat in the lodge on my birthday while my friends ripped!

Now here I am with a hurt shoulder and hurt wrist. I wrapped it up and slept it off, took a bunch of advil and in the morning it felt good. Went tubing. While getting pulled at about 60 the tube we were on (frequent flyer, one of those flying tubes) got lift off, we turned in air and I was hanging on my bad arm, then it popped and I fell

All because I thought I was just hurt the day before. Dislocated shoulder and broken wrist.

A couple weeks later I crashed my m1 when I over shot a jump and nose cased the berm after yield a compact fracture to my humerous( no it was not funny), broken wrist, ribs, dislocated knee. The works. whole summer of no bike and 3 surgeries and the crash was the day before I left for a family vacation to Costa Rica

Worst summer ever!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I believe the latest one was my most stupid injury. When taking my (new to me) Cannondale Prophet for her maid's ball, and after maybe 5 minutes of ride, I took a short (~20 ft) and steep descent at full speed, pumping the bike to make it "fly" just above the slope. When I lifted my head, saw an 8 years old kid standing in the middle of my path, holding his bike maybe 15 feet away from me. While still in the air, I grabbed both brakes as hard as I could (insert facepalm here). The front wheel skipped and I ended up with the handlebar stuck in my ribcage. As a result, I have three more broken ribs...

The funny thing is I didn't notice the broken ribs until the next day (I rode for three hours after the crash). Anyway, I'm still in the bench, waiting to get fully recovered...

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
** kinda bike related ** I had waited from October to May for my DH frame to come in (green monster addition specialized demo). I decided to celebrate its arrival with a few drinks. long story short, I ended up thinking it was a great idea to jump out of my 2nd floor dorm window (stomped the $H!T out of it) and shattered my ankle. It was really enjoyable to look at my fresh new DH bike while in a cast for 2 months.

Last edited:

Muerto

Chimp
Oct 30, 2009
Sweden
Riding home on my 24" dirt jump bike at night coming round a corner I bunnyhopped a small concrete ledge as I had done many times before. What I didn't know was that someone had put up a metal fence just behind the ledge to stop cyclists from taking that route... Hit the fence mid air. Wen't over the bars and smashed my face on the ground.

Woke up laying on the ground, noticed there was blood everywhere. Rode to the hospital, got 5 stitches under my eye. Got a nice big bandage on my forehead as there wasn't much that could be done about it... Got cuts and scrapes all over my face, and a light concussion to boot.

I now, 7 months later have a quite nice scar across my forehead and just underneath my right eye. There's still some swelling too. I'm fairly easy to recognise...

Dumb? Sure was. The rule "look before you leap" is a good one...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm sitting here feeling pretty stupid with a broken collar bone(just plated), and shoulder blade. Snapped both in two on a fastish section of track(45km/h,yeah KMs ya spazs),I was working so looking for race tape, on a section I was stupidly comfortable with(never trust speed), put my wheel off the track on the grace on a open corner, bike washed out, shoulder kissed dirt. Still didn't think I was hurt, tried to pick bike up, but arm didn't work. Put limp arms hand on grip and rode 1km down. Then drove for 3 hours.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Rebound damping quit working in my 888, but I decided to finish the run I was on without it. Going flat out trying to drop a fast buddy, I pulled up for a long and low jump only to have the lowers rip off as I left the lip. Watching the wheel/ fork fly beside me is something I would be happy to never see again. Wound up going down with the ship into a scorpion grind/ faceplant. Broke my helmet wide open and I may have went out for a second or two. Hobbled down the trail on a friends bike (hurt my back to walk). Turned out that I had two compression fractures in my lower back, which I mostly recovered from in a few weeks. I feel lucky- moral of the story- don't trust a fork that is topping out!

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Definitely dislocated shoulder whilst attempting to sam hill drift gravel corners in full lycra. How else did I expect that to end?

SCARY

Not long enough
I don't really have dumb ones ,mine are usually epic.But I have 1 wreck that ended up in "Plush2"and one ,rolling front wheel straight into a cameraman ,at Big Bear,that ended up on "Dumbest stuff on wheels"like 10 years after.Surprise to me,sitting on my couch watching my own face nail the tv
screen in front of me.It was weird....and shameful.And I felt dumb.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Pack too high on back, helmet bottom out on pack, goggles on forehead, steep rock roll, lawn dart.

Separated shoulder.

Idiot.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Was out building a new jump line with Jackalope, finished a small to medium sized hip which was/is profoundly sketchy looking due to being made out of recycled materials which include old fencing and rusty barrels, then I built the lip but not the lander of this tiny ~4 foot gap jump that was inserted into the line merely as something to pump before a larger jump.

I was guinea pigging the hip which went fine, then kept rolling thinking to just pop off the lip of the tiny jump that followed...what happened next I have never understood. My buddy who was watching can't explain either. I got bucked over the bars with profound violence, but adroitly ninja rolled out of it. I stood up to take off my helmet laughing about it and felt a bunch of clicking in my left shoulder. Walked over to Jackalope, pulled down my shirt and watched his face go pale. Broken/dislocated collarbone with big hematoma where it met my sternum.

I blame DW and the Ibis Mojo I was riding for bucking me. Luckily healed quick and was skiing in CO 5 weeks later.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Back in 2002 or 2003 when I was attempting to transition from an xc rider to a free rider I was showing off for my younger brother and trying to do a log ride. After getting partway across, with my saddle way up in the air and my feet still clipped in, my front wheel fell off and I came straight down on the log chin first. Busted it open and had blood pouring down the front of my white beater (extra classy that day). To boot my bike was out of commission following the fall and I had to walk two miles down the road to a convenience store to ask if I could use the phone to call my parents. 11 stitches later and I was all taken care of. The scar still remains today as a nice reminder that I shouldn't play on log rides.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
All mine have been dumb and if others would liek to read about more than one, I'll oblige in a second post, but here is my dumbest.

Seven Springs 1998- Expert Dual Slalom
Messed up on my blue lane qualifying run on the tabletop at the end and sprinted to the end to try to make up for it. Did a push manual through the finish b/c I was pissed at myself. Slipped off the back of the pedal and planted my foot in the grass.

ACL exploded and I screamed. People thought my tube popped. Ruined it and my Meniscus on both sides. Blowing an ACL as a non-pro athlete dying for a shot at a pro license was and always will be the suck.

Don't think I ever fully came back from that mentally or physically. Would love to have two good knees.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hmmm sorta bike related, I was replacing the bearings in my DH bike and got em all out, woke up at 5am the next day and felt something on my forehead guessed it would be a tick. Ripped the sucker out went back to bed and woke up looking like a dugong and slowly progressed to Elephant Man.

Ended up in hospital on four IV drips a day for four days, damn tick gave me facial celulitis, my right eye was closed for two days from swelling, funny stuff.

Oh yeah the dude across from me was a fixie rider, I don't think they cured him, he was still talking about fixies and his photo blog when he left.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Riding street back in the day, and hit up a 8 to 8 stair gap in front of OSU's horseshoe stadium. Had hit it a million times, but came in too hot and went 16 steps to flat. Handlebar and fork snap in half. Pick myself up off pavement and my palms hurt even though I had gloves on. Took one off and had minor scrapes. The other hand felt hot and wet. Started peeling the glove off and realized that I had a massive gash around the knuckle of my pinky finger. It was not sliced, but the skin actually tore from the force and speed of the impact.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That was YOU Butch?
That was a grisly scene. No one was laughing, that's for sure.

The first race that I ever traveled out of town for was a DS race up in Elijay, GA.
I bought a pair of purple ano Odyssey Black Widow pedals(JUST LIKE IN MBA!!!) a week before the race because I saw everybody in the magazines riding DS on flats. I'd only ever ridden with toe-clips before and I was super-duper sketched out by the prospect of not having my feet attached to the pedals.

I spent a week beforehand slaloming piles of pinecones on the road in front of my house getting used to taking my feet off of the pedals and furtitively(futily) trying to figure out how to bunnyhop without being attached to the bike. I had a fundamental problem to deal with: I could not keep my feet on the pedals.
Around this same time I was trying to learn how to skateboard. I duct taped my feet to the board and had my friend push me off of stairs but I couldn't turn left or stay on the board if I tried to kick. It actually took me 15 years to learn how to turn left on a skateboard.

I showed up in Ellijay, pulled my bike off my mom's car and rolled down the hill to take a practice lap.
100 ft later I had a broken collarbone. I'd hit jumps before, but not on flats.
In an attempt to stay on the pedals I inadvertently began a precocious backflip and slammed down hard on my back.
That incident quelled my desire to do gravity races for a long time. I'm still more intimidated by jumping than I should be too.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Was roadtripping with the guys from 24 bicycles in France shooting for their bike movie and got absolutely ****faced drunk and under the influence by 10 in the morning.
Decided to stick my head through a car window with a vicious Jack Russel that allmost bit my nose off, the scar is still there after 7 year...

I guess thats mtb related :D

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
I'll through mine out there, it happened on Mothers day of 05. Had been riding all day, including finding a new nicely sized drop that got hucked for quite some time. When the day was done, and it was almost time to go have dinner with my mom. Riding the trail out of the woods, I tried to slide my rear wheel around a corner, which I was going to bunny hop a 2' log upon exiting. Well, my rear brake needed bled, so when I pulled the lever expecting my tire to slide out, the lever compressed to the grip and no stopping. Before I knew it (after a quick pump of the brake) the brake started to work, just in time to pull the front end down while I was starting to jump. Basically the bike hit the log, stopped dead in place, and sent me flying otb. It was hardly an epic looking crash by any means. But, what did happen was me landing on my G-Shock watch smashed between my ribs and the ground. I ended up with an exploded liver and 2 weeks in hospital. If I wasn't wearing a full face, I mite not be typing this. My friend had to help me walk about a mile to the car, which took like 2 hrs or something. Then call my mom when we got to the hospital to explain I had an accident... To this day, my liver and the surrounding organs still occasionally hurt. And the watch, doesn't have a single scratch on it, and is still ticking...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Dumbest thing i ever did was ride 4 days at the Snowshoe national with 24 fresh stitches in my Achilles. We all know the history of that place and infections....luckily i never got one of the 'mysterious' infections.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Living in Whistler, riding my trail bike to the bike park for a Toonie race, no health insurance because i'm an idiot.

Wife was up ahead - she'd left 5 minutes before me and i was rushing to catch her up. Tearing down the Valley trail from Alpine, some muppet steps out in front of me on a short section of curvy downhill cyclepath. He looks up, makes eye contact and steps off the grass at the side. Best i can figure is he thought i shouldn't be on the valley Trail (some out of towners assume it's just a walking path). I caught my shorts on my shift lever as i swerve around him and OTB i go. I had put my helmet on about 30 seconds before because it had been annoying me banging on the bars. Which was good because it got written off.

I'm on the ground with a broken to **** arm - according to the doc who x rayed me - it looked like someone had taken a crowbar to my arm. Forearm in 3 pieces, wrist in 3 pieces. Buddy who stepped out in front of me takes one look and promptly ****s off without a word.

I pull myself off the ground and pedal off looking for my wife who has stopped at the top of the St Anton way. She has the credit cards, and i sure as **** know i'm going to need them. I roll up to her and she can see my arm wobbling from side to side and knows i'm wrecked. Instead of the usual "what did you do now" i actually got sympathy i looked that bad.

I told the lady at the medical centre that i had broken my arm, she triaged that to mean i had scraped my arm and kept me waiting for an hour until they were almost closed. Then the Doc gets me and he starts patching up my scrapes - i have a pretty decent scar on my Iliac crest - until i ask politely what the **** he is going to do about my broken arm and flop it about a bit. Cue panic and a quick trip to the hospital.

You know you've done something bad when the nurses get all "hey i know you're off shift now, but come and check out this x ray" to each other. I ended up getting patched up with a splint at the Whistler hospital and catching a flight back to the UK 36 hours later - high as **** - for some 'free' healthcare. Best flight home ever. Apart from the airline losing my luggage.

Stupidest crash ever.

1: Riding a cyclepath
2: Having been nagged to death about travel insurance
3: 2 weeks after my wedding
4: Same week (last week of July) that i have also broken my leg (2006) and right hand (2007).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
To boot my bike was out of commission following the fall and I had to walk two miles down the road to a convenience store to ask if I could use the phone to call my parents.
This reminds me of another stupid crash that I will never forget, even though it happened in like '85 or '86. There was this old quarry that had been claimed by MX'ers and BMX'ers and built up with a bunch of jumps and berms, all centered around this dirt bowl that had been dug out back when the place was a quarry. The bowl was around 15 - 20 feet deep. Most of the jumps were OUT of the bowl, but there was one line that sent you over a table and then down into the bowl on a long landing transition. Feeling super that day, I launched it way too fast and completely cleared the tranny basically to flat, breaking the Jeff Bottema fork on my Kuwahara at the lower race and sending my face directly to the dirt. I will never forget the feeling of watching that transition disappear under me, or the taste of that blood and dirt in my mouth.

And yeah, I picked up the pieces, walked forever to the 7-11, and called the Mom-bulance.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
in Whistler, riding my trail bike....
this reminds me of another stupid accident of mine... After a five-day xc trip in Pemberton and the Chilcotins (including a day trip from Warner Lake via float plane - so awesome!), I was riding up the Lost Lake trails in Whistler with the friends I was crashing with. They are both beginners and as this was my 6th day riding in a row, I was up ahead of them a fair ways. So as I'm climbing up, I see a nice big rock on my left that looks like it has a nice view town. It seemed like a nice spot to take a break and wait for them. I lazily turn towards the rock face, and start climbing. I realize about half way up (maybe about 5 ft vertically) that I'm not going to make it to the top. Before stalling out and rolling backwards, I hit the brakes, but it's so steep that I flop over backwards, land on my back and my head whiplashed backwards and bounced off a stump behind me. One of the roots of the stump caught my ear and tore it open.

When my friends caught up to me, I am sitting there, blood gushing out of my head and on to my shirt and I ask them if they know where the hospital is... So I wrapped my head in the towel I was carrying (we were headed to lost lake for a swim) and ride down to the hospital which is conveniently located at the bottom of the trail network!

Here's a picture of the doctor holding my ear open ...

we took it in case the reconstructive surgery didn't work and a in case a plastic surgeon needed to rebuild the ear afterwards, he'd know what he was working with.

What was awesome about this, is that this is the second time I've torn an ear mountain biking (did the other ear in high school), and after fixing my ear, the doctor said it was an intense intervention - while I was there he had treated a broken wrist, broken collar bone, broken ankle and a crushed adams-apple!

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Summer 2007, Diablo, hot, hazy and still wet from rain the night before. On my then new Morewood Shova LT, my first FR/DH bike and second FS bike. The transition from riding a less capable Heckler had given me more confidence than skill.

"Ripping" for me at the time, and feeling really confident. Got sick of my goggles fogging up from the humidity, so I dropped them in the truck. Very next run, Victory, off the brakes, moving fast, still not sure exactly what I did, but I hit something that threw me off my line and went OTB like I have 100 times before. Reached out to catch myself but before my hands touched the ground, a rock to the face broke my fall. I took the rock right across the bridge of my nose, barely missed my eye. Rolled on my back, saw stars, tasted blood, thought maybe I just had a bloody nose. Took my glove off and touched my nose and felt bone. ****. My friend later said it looked like I had a hole in my head.

Was on my back, head downhill, foot caught in a tree - managed to extricate myself and slip-walk down the trail to the shed above the Dom's Denial drop. PJ somebody ended up taking me down in a truck (thanks, btw!). Spent the rest of the day at Sussex Co. ER. Two surgeries later, I can mostly breathe out of my nose again. And I'm finally regaining the confidence I lost.

I never ride without goggles.

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
We have a local trail with a section that no one ever rides. It used to be fun with 3 drops and a log double until a wind storm and a couple dudes on quads killed it.
I decided to ride it one day with a buddy and his wife just for fun. There is a pair of trees that form a V shape. I thought I could fit between them as I was able to fit between years ago when the trail was ridden regularly. I didn't take into account that my bars are 2-3 inches wider and the trees had grown as well.
I clipped my bars on them at a decent pace and flipped ass over tea kettle.
I looked down and saw the skin folded over and exposing a good 4" of bone.

Somehow while flipping I managed to slice my leg on the rotor.
Luckily my friend and his wife are both nurses and we got to heckle the staff at the hospital while they cleaned moss/leaves/dirt out of my gash for 3 1/2 hours.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have had a few maintenance related minor injuries like DOT fluid squirting into my eye and cutting some fingertip skin off by a spinning brake rotor. Have a few semi stupid incidents from riding.

Once I had just replaced the seatpost on my XC bike at the time (Giant VT) and was heading out on a ride, leaving from a college campus. I was bombing down a grass slope and wanted to get onto the sidewalk. Since I was a bit afraid of just veering onto the pavement from the grass and getting the tires stuck on the pavement edge, I did a little bunnyhop to move sideways a bit. Since my old seatpost was too short, I wasn't used to where things were- seat catches on my shorts and the bike goes a bit sideways in the air. I basically highside when the rubber hits the sidewalk, flip over sideways, slam into the ground and slide a good distance. A few people saw this happen and one asks if I'm okay. I do what any normal human being would and get up with an "oh yeah, happens all the time" or something and ride away. I stop behind a building and feel like I am going to puke and am all shaky. Broken helmet, ruined jersey (shoulder material was all gone) and a bunch of road rash on my shoulder, arms and knees.

At the Mount Snow national one year I was riding the ledges section. Front wheel slips out braking before one of the rock faces, I hit the ground and bruise my knee and fingers pretty badly- couldn't pedal or hold the bars for a while after that. Funny part was that the bike goes over the edge of the rock face, probably goes off a 10 foot drop and the front wheel is tacoed. I left the race that day, the first day of practice.

At a Diablo race, the course went off a pretty big drop that lands on a rock face and sends you out really fast. I decided to try and not touch the brakes for a while, hit the drop, fly out at mach 2 without my fingers even on the levers and realize that there is no chance I am going to make the wide right turn after the drop. I am about to fly off the trail into the woods/ski slope and see that I am on course to run straight into IH8Rice, who I had been riding with. He dives out of the way (or at least attempts to) and I run straight into his bike and probably some of him too. Not much injury, but pretty funny (well, a little while later).