Quantcast

Post your 2012 Rides!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
The bike lost another 250g :) So it should be about 14,90kg :) Still got to put it on scale.
It seems my bike lost more weight than I expected :D It's 14,80kg (32,63lbs), actually :)

HA, measured on the previous pic was about 63,5* and, then, checked with iPhone was closer to 63,8*... but, it seems to be no more than 64* :)

BB is on about 357mm (14,05")

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hell yeah that Yeti is tidy.

The weights on here are getting pretty crazy, fairly sure my bike is around 42-43lb.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
New DH bike with Chromag stem, HillBilly DH's (Butchers for the dry and Wetscreams for the Epic slop), and KMC X-10 sl chain. Got out 2 days on it and am blown away. No pedal strike issues, it jumps awesome, is super stable, much plusher on big hits then my 08 demo and just goes fast easy. I decided to give the Spec. pedals a try and am impressed: They are scary light, decently thin, have a nice big platform and are very grippy.

My work horse xc/am/freeride bike at least for the first couple weeks of 2012. Likely be phased out for a Reign X frame shortly.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I'm trying the one bike thing this year. Seeing as I won't be racing much, if at all, I'm going to see how it plays out.

32.5lbs as it sits, but a new set of incoming crossmax STs and tires will get me down towards the 30lb. mark.
The bike pedals REALLY well for 7 inches.

ASR7 - large
'11 float rc2
magura louise BAT
deemax rear
hadley/823 front
Slx - 170
34t salsa
X9 short
1070 -11-36
sunline V one 50mm stem and 762 flat bar
HT - AEO1
Thomson
WTB
Blah, Blah, Blah..........

The bad:
-Stand over is giant @ 32+ inches
-The seat tube will only allow about 8 inches of insertion...........so a dropper can never fully insert, and with that kind of stand over it is really limiting.

The GEO with the Float 180 is right at 66 HA and a 14" BB. The BB is a little higher than would like, but with 7 inches I will run more sag than usual on a bike that gets regularly pedaled.
This is my first build with flat bars and they really help negate the 66 HA going up. They also make carrying the front end of this thing a little work.

I'm only a couple days fresh, so I'll give a post honeymoon kiss and tell once I've gotten the bike into several types of rides. No doubt though, Yeti puts together a really nice frame.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
this is what im riding mostly for 2012.

294765_2078799456757_1448146522_31740847_1170958254_n.jpg

The DH bike hasnt seen much use since I got this. Really loving it, its so much fun to ride goes up almost as well as it goes down. Its got as much travel as my first DH bike (sintesi bazooka), better geometry and weighs only 30lbs

Spec
Nukeproof Mega
Monarch Air
Lyric R2C2 Dh
XO groupset
Ive added a e13 Hemi chainguide since I took the pics
Nukeproof headset, bars, stem, seatpost and saddle
Hope Pro II/ Ztr Flow wheels
Continental Rubber Queen black chilli 2.2 tires

Cant get over how good this bike is and if i was to sell my DH bike I dont think id miss it bar for racing. Ive been using it for everything from dh riding to 30k xc rides and does it all very well. Some DH tires and a single ring and it would probably be even better at the dh riding but obviously loose out on the longer xc rides.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
diggin the mega!

Myself i am just waiting for a late delivery from Santa, its going to be a though 3-4 weeks of more waiting, then its Cruzing time.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
cheers. U waiting on a mega ? 2012s are in in about 3 weeks. Just put a reverb on mine today weight went up to 31.06lbs but it should be well worth it. Love how the brake lever clamp/shifter/reverb remote is all integrated . It makes for a very tidy handle bar setup. Cant wait to get out on it tomorrow and test it out

Brete

Chimp
Dec 14, 2011
Salt Lake City
Finished building my first gravity bike on New Year's Eve. The lack of snow in the Rockies has offered up a dozen rides on her so far in 2012. Loving it!

SCD8-04.jpg

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Sold my DHR and picked up a Demo for this year. Just have to build up some new wheels and then it's done.
I built one of these up with a Fox 40 for this year. Did you use the lower spacer provided by Specialized as well?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
Finished building my first gravity bike on New Year's Eve. The lack of snow in the Rockies has offered up a dozen rides on her so far in 2012. Loving it!

View attachment 109654
So how do you like the ride? Did you get a Works headset?
I have yet to pull the trigger myself but am thinking about doing it today. I'd be careful with that seatpost being so low. You could damage your fender/shock protector.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
The only solution for the FOx 40 problem is this:

View attachment 109660
By "solution", you mean the only way to push the crown out of rant from the frame entirely?

... because I'm using the Specialized-provided solution, and it seems OK: the crown still contacts the frame, but the supplied bumpers work as intended.

Is there any reason (other than turning radius) why I should move to the solution you're showing? Also, can you point me to where I can buy one of those?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
You mean other than the supplied spacer and bumpers that Specialized provides with the frame.
My guess is that he wanted the crown out of the way of the frame entirely; the Specialized-supplied spacer only pushes the "flat" of the crown out of the way of the frame.

I'm happy with the spacer/bumper combo from Specialized.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
I built one of these up with a Fox 40 for this year. Did you use the lower spacer provided by Specialized as well?
I don't think my frame came with a spacer. It did come with the bumpers for the 40 but it's a very tight fit. I'm selling the 40 to get a Dorado though so I'm not too worried about the clearance and turn radius. Also, as an fyi, a medium demo with a 40 will not fit on a North Shore rack.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
...demo with a 40 will not fit on a North Shore rack.
Is that like a regular rack, except with a bunch of crap made out of wood attached to it? Does each rack come with a dude who always has an eighth in his pocket and won't stop talking about "flowy lines"?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't think my frame came with a spacer. It did come with the bumpers for the 40 but it's a very tight fit. I'm selling the 40 to get a Dorado though so I'm not too worried about the clearance and turn radius. Also, as an fyi, a medium demo with a 40 will not fit on a North Shore rack.
Barely any combination of demo and fork will fit on a north shore rack.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Is that like a regular rack, except with a bunch of crap made out of wood attached to it? Does each rack come with a dude who always has an eighth in his pocket and won't stop talking about "flowy lines"?
http://northshoreracks.com/

actually pretty rad racks. Some of the best out there. They don't stick out so far, so parking is less of a b1tch, and if you have any dirt roads/kinks/dips in the road, you don't have to worry about 5 feet sticking out of the back of your car smashing into the ground. There is also less leverage on your suspension. If I ever break my thule I'll get one of those.