Post your 2012 Rides!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I sold a handfull of Kowas herer in Oz, every customer but Hardtail hack riding em DH on a hardtail(and he's not anorexic)had issues with them. Every other set sold had extremely happy owners, and some are good hard riding DHers. Most buying later sets.
Avvy cart in Kowa I initiated with Avalanche, but handed to Covic(US) who somehow f@#ked it up.It won't be going ahead now. Engrish speaking guy at Kowa is having health issues I think(good bloke, hope he's okay)so there's been little action with them of late. I had them working on some 50-170mm triples for me for my trail bike, not sure what's happening with them now.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I sold a handfull of Kowas herer in Oz, every customer but Hardtail hack riding em DH on a hardtail(and he's not anorexic)had issues with them. Every other set sold had extremely happy owners, and some are good hard riding DHers. Most buying later sets.
Avvy cart in Kowa I initiated with Avalanche, but handed to Covic(US) who somehow f@#ked it up.It won't be going ahead now. Engrish speaking guy at Kowa is having health issues I think(good bloke, hope he's okay)so there's been little action with them of late. I had them working on some 50-170mm triples for me for my trail bike, not sure what's happening with them now.
Pfft that's a cop out, I had a set of QR Manitou blacks that I got a solid year out of until a bush dislodged. On my second ride on the 160SS the steerer came loose in the crown, this happend to three crowns.

I tried three sets of bushes and most people would not be able to install them themselves and seat them correctly. I measured the ID of a new bush before install and after with an inside bore gauge and the stanchions with a wic and there was quite a difference and was out of spec for even a very worn fork.
I may have the measurements written down somewhere.

A big problem with boutique brands is people that pay loads of money for something **** and say it is awesome because their ego forces them to or they like being different and hate Taiwanese mass produced products blah blah(me).

I will edit this later with air spring pics, oh both the 200SI and the 160SS(?) score the air spring, it's not flex it's from poor bush selection.

Both forks are scored like this-

Strange machining, looks perfect at the other end.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Pfft that's a cop out.
Not saying none of it's true, Just telling it from my knowledge with other sets, ands your misfortune. The 160 crowns we replaced ASAP, and then they got it sorted.
We've not promoted Kowa since your dramas. Waited to see what they did.
Still a good feeling fork. I agree with your people justifying their purchase comment.:thumb:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Not saying none of it's true, Just telling it from my knowledge with other sets, ands your misfortune. The 160 crowns we replaced ASAP, and then they got it sorted.
We've not promoted Kowa since your dramas. Waited to see what they did.
Still a good feeling fork. I agree with your people justifying their purchase comment.:thumb:
Yup all true, I got great service from you guys, everything was replaced within the week. But from my side, you imagine racing and wondering at every corner if your wheel will actually turn or not, one loose steerer meh can happen to anyone but a few that **** was scary.

Just so people don't assume I'm just a fat whinger that just rags on random products for no reason. I was racing a SS hardtail and usually finishing in the top third of the field overall, yeah I'm a fatty(220lb) but a set of dual slalom rims lasted me a season so I'm not that hard on gear.

I'm still yet to try the new crown, they do look promising, my framebuilder had my fork and other parts for almost two years then shut up shop, I have my parts but am down $800, bummer.

On a side note Joe from Covic was a legend I shot him multiple emails and he was nothing but helpful but he didn't sound like he had 100% faith in the Kowa brand.

Damn it Norbar why did you start me on Kowa, here's a link to the proto rear shock, looks awesome but the res might be a bit hard to squueze in most frames.
Oooh Spy shot

EDIT- This is a 2012 ride thread, if I get my funds up I'll finally get my custom HT done, I've found a builder but no funds and I can't sell the Corsair coz it comes with factory spec'd cracks.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A big problem with boutique brands is people that pay loads of money for something **** and say it is awesome because their ego forces them to or they like being different and hate Taiwanese mass produced products blah blah(me).
I don't think it's only the butique brands. Remember the first year of hype for the new boxxers? Now everyone hates them and then everybody loved them.

Though I'm also guilty of protecting some of the more obscure products I have bought (like that idiotic atomlab clipless pedal)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't think it's only the butique brands. Remember the first year of hype for the new boxxers? Now everyone hates them and then everybody loved them.

Though I'm also guilty of protecting some of the more obscure products I have bought (like that idiotic atomlab clipless pedal)
must have missed the hate boat, I like mine alot. Its not that hard to tune and make feel pretty damn good. I'm running it over the avy'd totem I have sitting in my garage.

maybe I just got lucky in that I know how to rebuild incredibly simple forks, but going on about 1 year having serviced it once (when it was brand new)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
must have missed the hate boat, I like mine alot. Its not that hard to tune and make feel pretty damn good. I'm running it over the avy'd totem I have sitting in my garage.

maybe I just got lucky in that I know how to rebuild incredibly simple forks, but going on about 1 year having serviced it once (when it was brand new)
I liked mine too but you know what is the general opinion on them ;) Though I was lucky and bought mine off Christiaan who did all the work for me (well acording to him it was sram holland but nvm ;) ). Actually the only thing that bugs me in m world cup is the incredible dive in the 2010 solo air.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Another year on my carbon Trance X Advanced SL. It's dialed with the new XTR Trail pieces set up 1x10, and is between 24.4lbs and 25lbs depending on tire selection. Slam that stem. Needs ENVE wheels though.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Another year on my carbon Trance X Advanced SL. It's dialed with the new XTR Trail pieces set up 1x10, and is between 24.4lbs and 25lbs depending on tire selection. Slam that stem. Needs ENVE wheels though.

Such a fun bike. Still loving mine too. :thumb:

Edit: Now in DH mode; newest upgrades are 3C EXO Minions, 55mm Haven stem, and Twenty6 Prerunners...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Looks way smaller than it is, i rode a long and a short before deciding on the short. The long was WAY too long. I am 5.11 and really like the fit. Its comparable to a size medium demo 8 if you cross check the geo.
i'm 6'1" and have a long... but i use it as a trail bike :D

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca

atlas fr bar 740mm
'11 boxxer rc. modded compression damper/fork seals.
elka stage 5 - 350lb ti spring
32t chainring
mg-1
x-9 short cage derailleur
tioga d-spyder seat

pretty fun bike.

prolly will just get some saint brakes and call it a day on this bike.

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
thanks! it didn't stay clean for long....i've never owned a new bike, car etc so it was very weird taking it for the first ride and almost bailing 2 turns in cause i hadn't tuned the shocks for piss!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
By "clean" I meant basically 3 colors on the bike :)
I presume, both shocks are air?
What's the weight of the complete bike?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
37lbs pretty much on the money, the fork is basically a team with an avalanche cartridge. i can't imagine it built to 30-32 like some that i have seen.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Here is my 2011 Yeti 303R. It's a replacement for my broken Evil Revolt. What a surprise, I'm still waiting on its warranty.

2011 303
2011 Fox 40 rc2
RC4 rebuilt by suspension experts, 300 lb Ti spring
Saint Brakes and cranks
Industry Nine dh wheels - green hubs, two green spokes at valve.
Dura-Ace cassette
Sunline bar and stem
Odi grips with green locks
E.13 lg1+ guide and green 36t ring
x.9 shifter/derailluer
SDG I-fly seat and post

Stoked on the bike so far. I have ridden a lot of different downhill bikes, and this bike seems to be the best combination of all the traits I prefer! The bike loves to jump, no doubt about that.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That DHR looks so minimalistic(is that a word?) that even a fixie rider would be happy to own it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just built this week. I'll have to find somewhere to test it over the winter.