Quantcast

Post your 2012 Rides!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
But how does one know if the full travel is used on the coil-version? I'men the rubber thingy has to be compressed to zero for using full travel. And testing without it will probably damage this end cap

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
But how does one know if the full travel is used on the coil-version? I'men the rubber thingy has to be compressed to zero for using full travel. And testing without it will probably damage this end cap
Add a little grease to the end of the shaft and look for marks in it from the seals. Don't do a lot for obvious reasons but a little grease on a bumper will leave some on the shock body from full use.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
Add a little grease to the end of the shaft and look for marks in it from the seals. Don't do a lot for obvious reasons but a little grease on a bumper will leave some on the shock body from full use.
What I think he is trying to say is that its really hard to tell if the bottom out bumper just barely touched or was completely smashed, the grease mark would be the same either way. To use the full amount of travel the bumper has to be fully compressed, right?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Yeah. I mean I see already when the bottom of the shock body hits the bumper because the dust gets blown away there but in my understanding the bumper has to be completely compressed to zero for full travel being used and I doubt that's possible. But then I have seen a few blown bottom caps of the ccdb:

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/p/921335

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
New fork, new bars. Front wheel is borrowed, rim became taco dinner two weeks ago and CRC haven't been able to deliver a new one...
Backdrop is Hafjell, the venue for the final WC of 2012. Picture taken last night after the downpour...

H72A4975.jpg