Quantcast

Post your 2012 Rides!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
@RayB

Thanks for the mini-review!

Really like the all around possibilites of this bike.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Are you running the 142 axle? I'm really interested and I've seen a few 11's for sale but I read that they can't be converted to 142...
me? yes, '12s come with the 12x142 axle. There isn't a way to run a 12x135 out of the box(Remember reading earlier it was going to come with a conversion for 12x135, no such luck).

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
me? yes, '12s come with the 12x142 axle. There isn't a way to run a 12x135 out of the box(Remember reading earlier it was going to come with a conversion for 12x135, no such luck).
I have no interest in running 135x9 anymore that's why I'm not looking for a used '11. I read somewhere that Spesh didn't make the 142 setup backwards compatible.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Hey supercow what do you think of the CCDB compared to the BOS?
I've had both in the same bike too but it's always fun to hear comparisons!

Sweet steed by the way.
Thanks, Its still early days yet as I've only just come back off injury and I've only now ridden it once since.
It's hard to judge, as I'm quite weak at the moment still and can't really put my bike into awkward places to make a good comparison :)

Just some initial thoughts were that it's very much like the BOS, in that the rear wheel was stuck to the ground like snot to an African kid's nose. One difference being that it lacked a tiny bit of "pop" which of course can be tuned out, but I left it as is for now while I get stronger again.

The main driver for me changing to CCDB, is because of the Stoy "TWEEPTWEPTWEEEPTWEPTWEEEEP" while you ride, that cat eating a asthmatic budgie sound was doing my head in. I used to have a silent Stoy ( made so by TFtuned at the time) but can't get it done anymore :(

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Yeah, it's durable as hell. I've had mine for about 2.5 years. It's got about 15 days of Whistler through it. Including everything-else, all together, I'd say about a million plus vertical feet of descending so far to date. Countless crashes, cases, epic fails, etc. That's not a close-up shot of my bike -- the finish is definitely pretty worn (clear coat missing, paint chips from rocks, etc.), but no cracks. This is my only bike and should the zombie apocalypse happen, I'd trust my life with it lol.

I just did a major tune-up on it this past weekend. Replaced the lower link with a new one. New Chris King BB. New Angleset. New chain guide. New fork oil. New drivetrain (original was SLX and it was still rideable!! :O). New Code brakes. New tires.

Frame size is Large. I ride mostly trail/downhill. It might not seem like it, but even in the mini-DH/heavy-wheel&tire bike setup I have it in right now, it still hauls ass UP the hill -- pretty stoked on that.
That sounds about accurate. They feel rock solid when you ride them too!
I have a friend that has one that gets THRASHED and it's been holding up spectacular!
If I could have only 1 bike, I'd pick up a Mojo HD for sure.

TWilks

Chimp
Feb 25, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Just finished it today and under 32lbs.
Everything is 2012
Photo1.jpgPhoto2.jpgPhoto3.jpgphoto4.jpg
Size Large V10c w/ Vivid Air
Boxxer World Cup Keronite
Cane Creek Angleset set to -.5˚
Mavic Deemax Ultimates
XO DH Crankset
SRAM GXP bottom bracket
Point One Racing Podium pedals
Shimano Dura-Ace 11-25t
SRAM Powerchain 1091R
Renthal 40t Chainring
e13 LG1+
XO DH rear derailleur
sexy Silver XO 10spd shifter
XTR Trail brakes
Shimano Ice-Tech rotors (203)
Butcher Control tires run tubeless (need some heavier tires for the summer)
SDG Micro Carbon seat post
SDG Black Embossed I-Fly
Point One Racing Split Second stem
Renthal 10mm rise FatBar (also getting 38mm rise and Enve DH bar)
TLD/ODI grips
so hot Silver Hope CNC Machined brake adapters.

I'd like to give a big thanks to marine grease and torque wrenches!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Very nice looking bike :)
What's the weight?
I was going to ask if the Boxxer was the same color as rear end, but it's just the light, I guess.

TWilks

Chimp
Feb 25, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Very nice looking bike :)
What's the weight?
I was going to ask if the Boxxer was the same color as rear end, but it's just the light, I guess.
Yeah the Boxxer Keronite matches pretty well
I stated the weight at the top of the post but here's another picture for it.
photo8.jpg

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Yeah the Boxxer Keronite matches pretty well
I stated the weight at the top of the post but here's another picture for it.
I missed the weight you posted... my bad ;)
Impressive :)
I might be able to reach it with my 2013 setup ;)

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I might have been better off with the butcher sx, I guess I'll have to find out. but as for DH tires, which I have waiting, it depends where I'm riding. There's not a whole lot of really consistent rocky stuff around here.
Maybe run 'less bike' then, and get your weight in the 20's......

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
not necessarily 1000g. more like 500g . real tire on rear, front 1-1.5ply foldable tire (bigger) on front. All UST.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Ppl say you can use 1,5ply Schwalbes as tubeless with good result.
I've run a lot of Schwalbe tires, including several different versions of the freeride "1.5 ply" and DH dual ply tires. Yes, you can run their freeride tires for DH racing; I ran an 1100g Freeride Big Betty UST as a front tire at Crested Butte & Keystone (Crested Butte isn't real gnarly, and the Keystone race wasn't either) and didn't have any issues with it. But, for rocky gnar (like Angel Fire), the dual ply doesn't make you hit the brakes for fear of ripping your tires apart.

Summary: yeah, you can use the lighter Schwalbe freeride tires if you're not riding anything super gnar, or you're ok going slower through the gnar.

As a side note, I'm running the "1.5 ply" Big Betty's on my trail bike right now and they're awesome for that use- grip for days.

TWilks

Chimp
Feb 25, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
Maybe run 'less bike' then, and get your weight in the 20's......
No I'm alright, thanks. I wasn't building the bike to be the lightest out there, it just turned out really light somehow.

Edit: I drove a few hours yesterday to ride somewhere that is actually rocky, and surprisingly the tires help up well. The bike is a little different getting used to it, but so far it feels really smooth, stiff, and just sticks to the ground over everything from chatter to jumps. It's pretty forgiving when you make some poor line choice too.

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
One season under a world cup rider, and going on two under my hack self. Stock bearings are still smooth. This bike is rad.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
That's what it should do, according some reviews.
Others have, well, let's say another opinion;)
Looking forward to hear some review. Since you have had a few different frames (I DO hope you will get your Undead) in a short time you should be able to compare them.
Like you said,you can get some smoking deals for these frames.
looks good dude. Doesn't seem to be a lot of people on those DHRs, I keep wanting to hear from somebody unaffiliated how they ride. Certainly a clean looking bike.
Took the DHR riding last weekend on the Shore and just east of Van. So far I like it; lots of traction but still pretty nimble. Its not a Shore bike, it took a lot of English to maneuver it at low speeds. Out in the Valley where you get up to speed it felt much better.

So far I've only tried it with my RC4. Next time out I'll give the Vivid a go. I usually ride a medium but I'm at the lower end of the scale for a large on the DHR. It fits me pretty good so far.

I will admit its not the smoothest ride compared to the V10C but it doesn't slow down at all over roots and rocks. You can pedal the **** out of it over smallish bumps without noticeable bob or smashing pedals into the ground.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
finally got a (temporary) wheel to get rolling again. coming off of a CK, this Crossride's engagement is horrendous....but the brand new wheelset was free. i couldnt use the front since they dont make a 20mm adapter for it, so im using a spare DH wheel
i also didnt think there was a fork that was more plush(er?) then my 888 but this 55 Micro Ti is unreal!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Sick ride dude, those butchers are mad fun. My buddy did race for tara on his too, I couldn't believe how fast he pinned down stick and stones on that bike

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
So they were free, that explains it. I was really surprised to see you go with Crossrides. Let's go for a trail ride sometime.
ill tell ya sunday but it was close to being free. not what i ideally want but beggars cant be choosers! itll hopefully hold me over until i get a new wheelset.
ill take you up on the ride when i get my uphill lungs back. :rolleyes:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Thanks to sikocycles, my 2012 and beyond ride.

Still needs chain, cable and brakes.

Pretty stoked right now.

043.jpg