Quantcast

Portable Power - Need An Energy Solution

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey guys,

So I am renting out one garage space in a three car garage in town for an unbeatable fantastic price. The problem is, I have no electricity to the garage. People live above the garage. The guy renting to me uses the room behind my garage and the two bays next to me as well for his own storage. I have known him for years on a personal level.

I will be doing some wood work and working on a motorcycle and car.

I need some form of portable power for lights/power tools when I am at the garage. I am trying to find a solution less than $300.

Here is the garage:

image1.jpeg

Options considered

1. Generator:
  • They are too noisy seeing that I am up against other people. I even looked at "quiet" generators and solutions to make generators more quiet, but still too loud most likely.
  • I looked into a propane generator, but they seem really inefficient and it appears as though I'd end up spending a lot of money in propane.
2. Solar Power:
  • This garage is not in the safest part of town. A hood rat may steal the panels. I do not know if this is even realistic/feasible for the energy I would need.

3. Portable batteries:

I am willing to build something myself if needed, although admittedly I am not that crafty and would need instructions.

I have unlimited access to electricity elsewhere for free, so any ideas for a portable power source?

I can bring a batter back and for though.

Any suggestions guys?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think you are fucked considering the price constraints.

Just masturbate furiously in the dark.

Last edited:
Eric's proposal above is questionable if you're using tools that draw a lot of current.

With a motor generator set, you'd want to be cautious about carbon monoxide when working in a small unventilated space.

As previously noted, your budget's not realistic,,,

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If there is only 300 dollars left for power a good amount of cash must be available for cocaine. Who needs light when you have hookers and blow.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If there is only 300 dollars left for power a good amount of cash must be available for cocaine. Who needs light when you have hookers and blow.

Poor lighting is also a good choice when it comes to hookers. T'is best to leave a lot to the imagination.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I really like the shadow. Nice touch. She seems to fit with the people in this area too.

And now we know why it was "an unbeatable fantastic price"...
Well, $400/year is cheaper than any form of personal storage unit I know of.

I guess I might have to bite the bullet and buy a cheap generator and make my own silencing box out of wood. I found some cheaper small generators like the aforementioned Ryobi on craigslist.

Thanks guys.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was I accidentally helpful? I have broken my personal online ethos. Post edited.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

I guess I might have to bite the bullet and buy a cheap generator and make my own silencing box out of wood. I found some cheaper small generators like the aforementioned Ryobi on craigslist.
And the yearly cost of the storage unit just doubled. :D

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
As stated you are screwed. The only way you can get reliable power is a generator. Even the small quiet ones are noisy (enough to be annoying to residents above).

You can also just get it off the pole if you are daring enough. The price is right, but if you never post again, we can make assumptions to why...

On a serious note, I was like, 'awesome, I'll suggest going to a gas driven welder, because then you would be able to weld and have a kick ass generator.' But then I realized you were a cheap ass and didn't think it though before renting a shop area with no power.

You might be able to build a steam generator if you use enough candles.

Also on a serious note, you really have zero options as someone that knows tools and power quite well. You could use a generator, that is done all the time on job sites, but the good ones are too noisy to be run in a garage, along with fumes. Battery packs and/or solar...you are wasting your time even considering them as an option.

Have you thought about trying to find a makerspace/hackerspace in your area? Not sure where you live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackerspace

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Does the garage door have power? There has to be a 120v circuit somewhere you can tap Into for an outlet. How about an outdoor receptacle and you run an extension cord? Or one of the other bays and drill a hole in the divider to squeeze a cord or some romex. Is the panel in the garage somewhere? It's not expensive to pop in a 20A breaker and some romex to a new outlet. Owner may even cover materials if you are making improvements to his space.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I really like the shadow. Nice touch. She seems to fit with the people in this area too.

Thanks guys.
Just cut off the male end and connect it to the pole, problem solved.
Indian electricians agree with you:

What could possibly go wrong?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I think you are fucked considering the price constraints.

Just masturbate furiously in the dark.
I've already tried to figure out a way to connect a unit to my hands for when I masturbate, that can convert my energy. I haven't been able to find anything efficient enough though.

a generator is pretty much your only option unless there is an AC outlet somewhere on the outside of the building or there is an outside light where you can screw in a plug adapter and run a long heavy duty extension cord

And the yearly cost of the storage unit just doubled. :D
No light outlet nearby. But good suggestion for light duty.

if there are people living above it why wouldnt you just run an extension from them?
Mainly because they appear to be hood rats and I prefer to keep them from my valuables. I have an alarm with a simple battery already and locks are already on everything, and everything is insured.

As stated you are screwed. The only way you can get reliable power is a generator. Even the small quiet ones are noisy (enough to be annoying to residents above).

You can also just get it off the pole if you are daring enough. The price is right, but if you never post again, we can make assumptions to why...

Yes, I am thinking about finding a used one from Craigslist and making a "silencer box" so I can sit it at the edge of the garage.

Does the garage door have power? There has to be a 120v circuit somewhere you can tap Into for an outlet. How about an outdoor receptacle and you run an extension cord? Or one of the other bays and drill a hole in the divider to squeeze a cord or some romex. Is the panel in the garage somewhere? It's not expensive to pop in a 20A breaker and some romex to a new outlet. Owner may even cover materials if you are making improvements to his space.
No the garage door does not have power. You know, maybe I can find an outdoor outlet somewhere nearby. It is located in an alley by other houses. A small black extension cord wouldn't be too obvious I suppose.

I will also look into the 20A breaker option. I am okay at applying ideas/principles with a few hours of reading. I will ask if there is a circuit breaker in the back room or anything.

Indian electricians agree with you:

What could possibly go wrong?

Not even going to lie, I've thought of that, I just don't want to die and don't want arrested.
You might be able to build a steam generator if you use enough candles.

Also on a serious note, you really have zero options as someone that knows tools and power quite well. You could use a generator, that is done all the time on job sites, but the good ones are too noisy to be run in a garage, along with fumes. Battery packs and/or solar...you are wasting your time even considering them as an option.

Have you thought about trying to find a makerspace/hackerspace in your area? Not sure where you live.[/QUOTE]

I haven't thought of that. I will look into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackerspace[/QUOTE]
A radioisotope thermoelectric generator should be small and quiet enough for your needs.
I was heavily considering one. I actually had the plans drawn up in CAD, had printed a 3D model and had a molecular physicist punching some numbers on the wall thickness required etc... But then I decided I didn't want cancer.

You guys have been helpful. I will go do work and report on what I find.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
This is sounding more like a terrible deal by the minute. Maybe you can sub-let the space to some sucker?
Give him an unbeatable fantastic price, then wait until he's in to let him find out there's no power. Make sure you get a contract so he can't weasel his way out of it....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You should go solar. Big ass panels on the roof with batteries in your unit. Drill out some big holes in the wall for the Jumper Cables. Waste Oil fired steam generator might be another option.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
You could burn it down, then when they rebuild, just casually mention they should add a few outlets on that side...maybe some 220V for good measure...