Quantcast

Pork in a Slow Cooker

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hellohello.

Does anyone have a delicious and easy recipe for making pulled pork in a slow cooker?

What cut of pork do I get? How long to cook it?

I will offer e-beer to the winner.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Shoulder, with bone-in.

This one is for carnitas, but similar. Put the shoulder in with the fatty-layer on top, so it melts through the meat. Was F-ing delicious, it's important to fry it up like it says at the end. I only deviated by throwing a bunch of cilantro in too.

http://www.recipetineats.com/pork-carnitas-mexican-slow-cooker-pulled-pork/
Well that was easy. Just going to make that tomorrow!

Apparently finding pork shoulder is hard around here. Went to 3 grocery stores and they only had pork loins and chops. I know Costco has them, but I'm not a member. :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Safeway/Vonns/Cars if you have it.

Also, pork "blade" will work too...

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
How'd it turn out?! The shoulder is the way to go--love that in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and broth! Nom nom nom

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Shoulder in slow cooker. About a cup of vinegar, chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic, ground mustard seed, and a table spoon or two of worchestershire sauce, soy works too. A shot or ten of bourbon doesn't hurt. Adding some bacon grease from breakfast makes things extra special.

When it is about done pour in some liquid smoke.

Serve with bbq sauce, red hot, and yellow mustard. Goes great mixed with baked beans.

I prefer to sample and season as I go. If you do it right you will be full and drunk when it is ready to serve.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
On the side note of pork, I like using a pork shoulder cubed and then thrown in with a can of green enchilada sauce. Super easy. I usually just serve over rice or egg noodles. Can also use to make tacos or burritos.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
On the side note of pork, I like using a pork shoulder cubed and then thrown in with a can of green enchilada sauce. Super easy. I usually just serve over rice or egg noodles. Can also use to make tacos or burritos.
i will be trying this. soon.

edit: about how big do you cube it? and how long?

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I use the Las Palmas green enchilada sauce, cube the pork into roughly 1" cubes, give or take, it isn't very critical. I tried cooking the whole thing at once and it doesn't work as well. I think last time I cooked it, it was 6 hours on low. I also threw in some Thai chili paste. When you are finished cooking, you can just use the pork, or you can thicken the liquid with a roux easily enough. I've experimented with it a few different ways, but the basic 'throw cubed pork in with the big can of sauce' is where I started. It's very basic and tastes good. My wife likes it with rice because we can just use the rice cooker, set the timers and everything is done for dinner with minimal cooking.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How'd it turn out?! The shoulder is the way to go--love that in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and broth! Nom nom nom
Still have yet to do this. No regular grocery stores here have a good pork selection and by the time I get home from work/biking/whatever, all the butchers are closed. Will try this weekend...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i did a recipe based on this.

6lb boneless shoulder
8 diced tomatillos
2 diced jalapenos
1 diced poblano
2 chopped onions
7 cloves garlic
1 jar salsa verde

browned the pork, put in crock pot
sauteed onions and garlic, put in crock pot
then added the rest of the veggies, salsa, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and oregano. added about a cup and a half of water, although next time i dont think that much will be necessary

4 hours high, 6 hows low. turned out incredible. had a few friends over, was a big hit.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My wife does a pork shoulder in the crock pot and shreds it as if we were going to do pulled pork but then pour in a jar of Wegmans green salsa verde. Really simple with almost no prep time and tastes pretty good. Can serve it over rice or use it in tacos/burritos.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
so i did a recipe based on this.

6lb boneless shoulder
8 diced tomatillos
2 diced jalapenos
1 diced poblano
2 chopped onions
7 cloves garlic
1 jar salsa verde

browned the pork, put in crock pot
sauteed onions and garlic, put in crock pot
then added the rest of the veggies, salsa, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and oregano. added about a cup and a half of water, although next time i dont think that much will be necessary

4 hours high, 6 hows low. turned out incredible. had a few friends over, was a big hit.
Doing very similar to this today. See how it goes. Using part of a chopped tenderloin from Costco.