Quantcast

pivot bearing choice and lateral stiffness

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
all things equal, if i swap the sealed cartridge pivot bearings on my morewood for angular contact bearings, will i notice any increase in stiffness?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is it an old SP morewood? Those elevated-chainstay type bikes aren't well known for their lateral rigidity due to the swingarm acting as a giant lever-arm on the main pivot (allows rear end to "twist" shock tower/post). Compare to a foes with the non-rate changing (older and some current models) swing-link that simply existed to stiffen that rear triangle. Those didn't use angular bearings, in fact the bearings themselves kinda sucked (I had one), but the overall design was to maximize lateral rigidity, with short stays, asymetrical BB and swingarm, the tubing size, swinglink, etc. What are the angular contact bearings going to be riding on? It doesn't sound like the bike was designed with that intention from the start, so would it be equal to one designed with that application/implementation?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
yea, i know the flaws of these frames i've already broken one. i know angular contact bearings helped SC stiffen their bikes up a bit