Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Eh, I'd buy jacked up geometry, especially with the adjustable collar on those shocks, but I'm fairly certain there were no derailleur stops on the 8s. Besides, that would be a pig to ride up anything...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
there was multiple e-t-e lengths for those pull shocks??
Not sure, but eyeballing the angles between the rear links and the seat tube kind of suggested that. It's been a long time since I had that bike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The original Straight8s had Super Deluxe rear shocks, the later models had the DKG linkage and Pro Deluxe shock with piggyback. He's got no linkage but the latter shock, which might be throwing the geo off.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Might just be the 888s set up tall. That bike was built for 6" Boxxers No? With a steepish head angle.
It was built around a 7" boxxer/Manitou noodle (can't remember the name of the carbon DH fork). The collar on the shock allowed for adjustible i2i, because the collar was a separate piece from the shock collar. It did not have stops for a derailluer, but you can put on the aftermarket clamp on cable ends.

All in, I would love to have another DH8, assuming the shock would work and you could find spare chainstays. That bike was a ton of fun.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The original Straight8s had Super Deluxe rear shocks, the later models had the DKG linkage and Pro Deluxe shock with piggyback. He's got no linkage but the latter shock, which might be throwing the geo off.
Not all of the latter frames had the linkage. You actually had to order that in addition, at least from Yeti. I ran mine without the linkage because I liked the liner feel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Not all of the latter frames had the linkage. You actually had to order that in addition, at least from Yeti. I ran mine without the linkage because I liked the liner feel.
Ah, I see. Everything I've seen suggested that with the drop of the bassboat gold/black color scheme and the adoption of the red/white stripes, came the addition of the linkage and the prodeluxe. I'll see if I can host up some images later, I have a serious collection of old and obscure.

SynGyn

Chimp
May 8, 2012
dont know if this is old school or not i would love some help to find out what kind of bike this is i was told it was a custum built trek 1 of 5 all i have is fram and forks any help would be grat and the cost of the bike to 010.JPG

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If it makes you feel any better, rumor was they were terribly put together and suffered a lot of back end flex. Add to that the twisting seatpost setup, and the bike was a disaster. I had a guy suggest we trade at a plattekill race in 98, and I was on a Straight Six with a Z1...

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Seeing all these old bikes makes me miss my Karpiel and BMW. After selling both and relocating to South East Asia, I ended up riding a XC HT. While ok for excersize, nothing can compare with the thrill of drops, jumps and a bit of speed downhill.......damn, I miss that......

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You guys might like this article on DH bikes from XXL mag in 1999;

Someone sent me this recent clipping from a Japanese sneaker mag.

Not DH specific or obscure but this is AMP #263 circa 1991 and hella O.G. It's not even broken!

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
I always tought these were kinda swell looking..

Especially with those HED rims

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That bottom one is 3rd generation bike- notice there's a normal seatube stump?
Those were actually built by FTW in his Carmel shop after Spooky proper closed up operations.

This frame is serial number "not for sale". It's from the first generation of 1997 team bikes.

Those bikes went through three different rear ends that season as travel got longer and issues with the crazy-ass amount of flex were progressively reduced. Most of the seat towers rusted into place, thank goodness!

This is Steve Geall's 1999/late 98 World cup bike;

It's the 2nd proto of the rev2 frame.
Those frames were famously late- the final "production" batch was done just for Mt. Snow in July. The tardiness of those frames killed our DH team, which was shaping up to be an East Coast powerhouse.

Westchesters finest on a g2, at platty, of course.

A total of 7 G2 frames were made.
The one we had at the shop was beastly. Spooky Teradactyl steel bars(31 inches wide in '98 mofos), SDH stem, Profile SS cranks, 24" Doublewides with 3.0 Gazzy's, G1 hayes, Brooklyn Pedals, SDG big boy and Hurricane post.
50 pounds on the nose IIRC. I "learned" to dirt jump on that bike. It was SO GOOD for landing to flat or uphill. It was also fluorescent green. Key to hux.

A pimped g2 from the UK;

The Hood Mussel was made in the same fixture as the G3 Project X and had the same geometry and suspension setup but it was made with a 100mm bb and 160 rear end.
The front triangle was made out of left over FBM Angel of Death tubes.

Last edited:

SynGyn

Chimp
May 8, 2012
thanx for the info, and i check it over and no cracks the guy i got it frum sead he never road it but it das have some scratches on it but looks like i can jest rub them out
anyone know what the frame is worth?