Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Giant ATX 900 (1st gen)

Giant ATX 970 (1st gen)

Coyote Ultralite Prototype!!! The only one in existance? :think:

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Actually, I retract my cable disc brake comment as that thing has such wack geo that whoever is riding it cant be going that quick or will most likely crash to a stop anyways

jimmy5willy

Chimp
Jul 11, 2010
Yeah, I think it was called the "Shockster" or something...

I've recently looked into the Shockster and mine is nothing like that.
The shockster has twin coil springs running up the seat stays and looks like it's made out of Mechano..
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16158

Mine has twin elastomers (so predating the shockster?) pertruding horizontally rearward AWAY from the rear axle. The leftmost nut you see gets pushed out about 2" by the end of what looks like a piston. Whatever it is, it's inside the elastomer. It's insane! Theres also some nice CNC/milling on the plates. Most importantly though, mine is a permanent weld on. That's not saying some entrepreneur did that themself, but without my freakish add-on the frame has no dropouts.
:eek::nerd:

Last edited:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Anyone remember GSR??

http://www.gsrbikes.com/bike_fr.html

The GSR team riders were rocking a pretty trick UD fork then as well, the Razor rock Anti-PAsta (which is probably one of the worst name to give a fork) fork with carbon fiber uppers.

Then near the end of the GSR's life, Mike revealed a 14" travel frame -- using a wound-up elastomer spring system. :thumb:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I had a friend that raced on their team (I think it was '98). He had the Mach 9 with their superlight fork. All I had was a Super 8, so I thought his bike was the sh!t :)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
euphoria-lt.jpg

Anyone remember their crazy DH rig with the snowmobile shock? There were a few floating around Oregon.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I was visiting a dealer near Milan on Wednesday and spied this beautiful piece of downhill history.

It's Corrado Herin's Sintesi Bazooka race bike from the 1998 season.

-ska todd

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
That thing is dope. I did not realize it had two linkages. I had noticed the rear scissor linl, that stiffens the rear end, but had not seen the link that alter leverage ratio that's tucked in there...

Did you bust out the tape and measure WB, CS, and BB height?

Those michelins were the best tires of their day. Somehow I was on the Gazzi JR & Intense 2.5" indestructo tire bandwagon at that time...

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
And then there was the successor to the bazooka:

Major bonus points to anyone that can find pictures of the Colella Viper. Made by Louis Colella who Sintesi allegedly stole major aspects of the design from. I remember one of the big mags at the time (MBi?) had a test of the Viper. Retail was 8k pounds and it had some kind of gold coating on the brake rotors...

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Major bonus points to anyone that can find pictures of the Colella Viper. Made by Louis Colella who Sintesi allegedly stole major aspects of the design from. I remember one of the big mags at the time (MBi?) had a test of the Viper. Retail was 8k pounds and it had some kind of gold coating on the brake rotors...
I've tried to find the Viper a few times (lovely trellis frame) with no luck, binned the copy of MBi (skids and wheelies monthly :) ) many years ago too (it had a good interview with Mr.Colella iirc)

don't forget this Bazooka too:

and yes, it does look as steep as that in real life!

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've tried to find the Viper a few times (lovely trellis frame) with no luck, binned the copy of MBi (skids and wheelies monthly :) ) many years ago too (it had a good interview with Mr.Colella iirc)
It's funny. I actually bumped into Louis a few years ago working a warehouse job between school. Seems he lost interest in the bike business and getting ripped off (at least according to his accounts) by Sintesi was the final straw. An entertaining guy to chat to, that's for sure!

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Wanted that original Bazooka so badly......Test rode this
Resized330x235_Bike for sale 004.jpg
Bought this
$(KGrHqYOKioE16Fo8DHOBNnNFoev)!~~_1.JPG
None were actually very good, but I thought it was all so cool.....

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I raced that Bianchi - of course it was Celeste. I think I had a DH3 on it before I got a Z.1

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
I assume this isn't the Viper you're looking for- it's all I could find at a quick glance through my archives. I'll keep looking when I have more time.

Here's another strange one- Saracen with front/rear linked elastomer suspension and telelever type fork.

Last edited:

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I assume this isn't the Viper you're looking for- it's all I could find at a quick glance through my archives. I'll keep looking when I have more time.
Oooh. Not quite. As Mark says, the one I'm thinking of had a crazy truss frame. I didn't realise he'd called multiple bikes "Viper" though, so cool to see that one!