Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

rallymad_nad

Chimp
Sep 11, 2008
Just thought I would post to say that in all the years having my bike I've never had one trouble with the AC chain guide, maybe I got lucky! Anyway, once again, not mega old, mine was revision 2, had since April 99, just snapped the lower shock bolt 3 weeks back. Not bad going for a 9yr old bike :biggrin:

Bike has been kept original except grips. Old Hopes have had new caliper and lever seal and spring kits. Used to have IRC Missiles, running on old IRC Kujo's. Never got hold of the THE mudguard for the forks (they had direct fitting holes ready) and the one on it eventually broke off. Never replaced it as they never released the rear MX version that looked any good.

Old pick

Newer pic

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
awesome first post! welcome to ridemonkey & keep rocking the Giant.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I just sat through 54 pages. Awesome.

Best I can do is the Hulk, not particularly old or rare but it mine.

vmajor

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
where is that museum! post some more pictures, I bet you saw some really old stuff, must have been fun
The museum/tech archive occupies three floors in the Pacific Cycles factory and headquarters in Taiwan, near Hsinchu.

I went there to meet up with Jay from Banshee and to tour the factory for Cycle Taiwan ...and our shop (Cycle Taiwan Shop) got the Banshee dealership too so we are all super excited (or "stoked" like the legions of our new customers would say :-) )

Here is a link to the gallery of photos that we took: Visit to Pacific Cycles

Jay is in it and so is the brand new Banshee Legend. Awesome looking frame, and bike.

I could not ride it as I am about twice Jay's weight so his Legend sagged like a wounded beast when I sat on it.

V.

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
Cycle Pro 235

Old ClifCat Proto

Astrix Halo

Canfield Bros Big Fat Fatty Fat

Some scary old stuff....

This is an old Brasilian prototipe... the project had no real dampers, only elastomers close to the pivots (both front and rear suspensions pivots were concentric with the BB)

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I don't have photos, but maybe someone else does...

1) The old Mongoose bike that was in their catalog but I doubt ever sold... circa 1997 I think. I remember thinking that frame was saweet but can't remember exactly how it worked. Some funky linkage I think. I am pretty sure that Leigh and Lopes both raced them for a bit.

2) The Manitou bike from Mountain Bike Action that had custom rims and moto tires. That thing was classic - giant chainring, and no chainguide whatsoever.

3) The multilink Bianchi frames with the elevated chainstay setup. They actually looked a lot like the new Turner trail bikes ;) but big bonus points for the celeste color. Anything pastel is bad ass IMO.

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004

1) The old Mongoose bike that was in their catalog but I doubt ever sold... circa 1997 I think. I remember thinking that frame was saweet but can't remember exactly how it worked. Some funky linkage I think. I am pretty sure that Leigh and Lopes both raced them for a bit.

2) The Manitou bike from Mountain Bike Action that had custom rims and moto tires. That thing was classic - giant chainring, and no chainguide whatsoever.

3) The multilink Bianchi frames with the elevated chainstay setup. They actually looked a lot like the new Turner trail bikes ;) but big bonus points for the celeste color. Anything pastel is bad ass IMO.
3)???

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
exactly...how terrifying.

I think 1). was the outland VPP. That was the originator of the VPP concept and actually had an S curve. I wonder what people would think of it today. The linkage was two tiny links connecting the swingarm...they had all kinds of bearing issues.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

95'-lopes donovan rode nicolais
96'-Outland's
97 and 98'-Intense
Nicolai branded gooses sold about 150, never sold any mongoose branded outlands and about 150 intensegeese were sold.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
This old bike was lying around the BMW shop in Brooklyn when they were nice enough to give me a tour a couple of years ago.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
that cycle pro is the same as the old avanti Rennie rode

I have seen the same shock on a Harley Davidson Motorbike. I had a number of custom springs built to give greater setup choices. The name "Stomper" was given because I rode flat pedals at the World DH Championships in Chateau D'Oex, Switzerland in 1997. This bike was stolen in Mt St Anne, Canada in 1998. (Photo: Dad)

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
It's kinda funny, but I work for the machine shop that made the small vpp links for outland back in the day. I didn't work here then, but we still have the CNC files and fixturing.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Some scary old stuff....

Wow old skool pic of Phillipe "Parakeet" Perakis. Little dude who was pretty quick. Always had some crazy euro bikes at the races. That and he was like the only real factory Dainese guy back when Dainese was really tough to get here. Always had custom suits.

The Summit bikes were the old Trophy Lawwill guys after they didn't pay Mert for the design (then Schwinn picked him up) and then inverted the linkage to get around the patent. The Trophy bikes rode well too, but they cracked a lot due to the hign leverage.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
95'-lopes donovan rode nicolais
96'-Outland's
97 and 98'-Intense
Nicolai branded gooses sold about 150, never sold any mongoose branded outlands and about 150 intensegeese were sold.
Yeah... I guess I was confused. Do you remember the bike I am referring to though? Definitely in the 96-98 range...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
2000 Big Hit with 24" wheels. The front was a 3.0 Gazzo on a Double wide. The rear was a 2.6 Gazzo on a Rhino Lite. That was a fun bike. It had 3500 miles on it when I sold it. My buddys kid is riding it now and its still going strong.

Last edited:

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Bring this thread back to life!:monkeydance:

Circa '94

Circa '96

Original Intense? Circa '94 (with worlds fastest mom Kathy Sesslar booty shot!)

Remember when these were DH forks?
2nd generation Manitou's (first ones made by Answer)
1st generation Rock Shox (these ones are #00237!)
Have these sitting in the shop.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Remember when these were DH forks?
2nd generation Manitou's (first ones made by Answer)
1st generation Rock Shox (these ones are #00237!)
Have these sitting in the shop.
I remember looking at the Judy DH and thinking "Why would anyone need that much travel?"....it had a grand total of 3 inches!