Quantcast

Pedals

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
One of my 10 year old Time Z'z took a hit this weekend that it was unable to survive so I'm in the market
for a new set of clipless.
Naturally the Times are at the top of my list, but was also considering the new Crank bros. Mallet race.
Never owned a set of CB, I've always been a Time fan. Same goes for Shimano, never owned a set.
So, If anyone has had a chance to ride the two in question and can give some reviews or advice, that would be much appreciated.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Time or Shimano, and then it's a matter of preference. CB for disposable products.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I ran CB's for a bit (not mallets, and not the new ones) too much float/standing on ice feeling for me, and I broke too many of them.

Shimano cheepies with the big black plastic platform seem to be holding up very well for me ( 2 pairs each with 2 full seasons on them)

these guys:

At the end of the day I am sure they make a better pedal than this one, but it's doing the trick nicely.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
^^ Those really aren't the cheepies. Those are pretty much the real deal 647's, DH race ready pedals. The composite platform looks weak but trust me, they are strong and will last.

The cheap plastic ones are the 424's.

Only thing you have to remember to do is drop a few drops of Tri-Flow on the coils whenever you lube your chain and they will release consistently and be your friend.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I have a few pairs of Time pedals that I don't use any more, incl. X ROCs that saw little use before I switched to flats. PM me if you want to see pics.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
^^ Those really aren't the cheepies. Those are pretty much the real deal 647's, DH race ready pedals. The composite platform looks weak but trust me, they are strong and will last.

The cheap plastic ones are the 424's.

Only thing you have to remember to do is drop a few drops of Tri-Flow on the coils whenever you lube your chain and they will release consistently and be your friend.
While I agree they hold up well, at $65 they seem pretty inexpensive, I assumed they made something more fancy since they have other expensive stuff, anyway I really like the 647, they've been good to me

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Just stick with time pedals. They are cheap enough for the new z like pedals at CRC and you'll end up with new cleats too (just bought a new set for my ladyfriend and I think it was $60).

With the general industructability factor of time pedals, I am honestly surprises you don't have ten pairs floating around from the late 90's like most of us...