Quantcast

Pain In The Butt

WhozDaMastah

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
Hello Fellow RM members-

A couple of months ago, after an 8 year hiatus, my wife finally decides she wants to start riding her bike again. So the past several weeks I updated her fork and rear shock and just got it back from the bike shop to have it rejuvenated and checked out.

So till we take her out for her maiden voyage, my wife has been riding around the neighborhood to get back into shape and she is complaining how her butt hurts during long rides in the saddle, but I did remind her that most freeriding and downhilling will be done standing up, but she still wants something that will be comfortable when she does sit.

So are there any comfy seats or padded shorts that you folks could recommend?

Thanks to all those who replies.

W

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
must. resist.

But in a serious tone of voice that doesn't hold with making jok....good god this is difficult.

I recommend playing with saddle angle, type of saddle, a chamois under whatever shorts she regularly wears might help as well.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Lemme get this straight.

She doesn't ride for 8 years, comes back, and complains her butt hurts?

Tell her to ride more, build back up the supporting muscles, and she'll be just fine. Might also look into a lady specific saddle so as to prevent her from looking like Mick Jagger sideways.

:D

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Look into get her some shorts by Terry. My wife tried PI and Shee Beast shorts and was saying the same thing.
Once I get her some shorts from Terry she said it was better. But they still need to put hours on the bike.
VM

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Tell her to ride 3 times a week for a month, and that pain will be gone by the end of the month.

Also, WTB makes some wider saddles that are still tough and not nearly as heavy as a spring-filled comfort bike monstrosity.

Ok, I'll get serious; after 8 years without, I suspect, any kind of "butt reinforcing activity", some light pain is what you expect. After all, the pain goes when you build up muscle and get used to it, so riding is they only real solution.
Gel saddle covers are cheap and might help ease the pain those first rides. If not, lady-specific or wide saddles should help too (specially if pain continues after having a "trained butt"). After that, she might want to switch to a saddle that doesn't feel like a bar stool.
Also, check saddle angle/height.
BTW, I think another common source of butt-pain for newbies is the fact they put most weight on the saddle, instead of the pedals. I'd say to try riding in a flat place for a few minutes without saddle, to build up leg strength and kick off that habit, but should that go wrong the "rear pain" could rise exponentially.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I used to recommend the women's specific Planet Bike ARS gel saddle when I was in a shop. Wider by normal sized saddle standards and nice and soft with a deep "anatomic relief" channel. Men's saddle has a slightly longer nose. They can be had for less than 30 bucks.