Quantcast

Oven Alternative

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Ok, so... it's too hot inside my house to turn on the oven and survive the night. I want to make enchiladas tonight, but am not sure how that might work in the BBQ. I don't own a cast iron cooking device, so I'm not sure if I can do those successfully, but it got me thinking... what have you cooked on your BBQ other than the standard meats/kabobs? I'm looking for dinner ideas I can cook outside.

Thanks!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you have a camp stove, that would open up options for all sorts of stews, etc

Pizza on the grill works pretty well as long as the crust is thin. The problem I have found with the grill is that it makes things have that BBQ flavor, and in some cases that isn't a good thing (like the time I baked a cake on the grill).
I think a chicken fricassee/ pot pie type thing could be pretty good on the grillZzz.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I did actually hit my cousin over the head with a frying pan when we were 7... could be the reason we don't have a heavy duty one now... ;) Sounding like the way to go for sure. As well as eggplant spaghetti... :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I heard these are good for cooking and very fast on facebook. No plastic, smoke, flame, or Teflon nastiness to contaminate your food either:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/

Stuff I've seen in the past few weeks on her feed:

"Spicy chicken chili verde: only 17 minutes (hurray!! ) in the Instant Pot instead of 10 hours in slowcooker according to the original recipe. And the chicken thighs were amazingly tender!"

"Veal chop with figs and pomegranate-thyme reduction. Another successful dinner using the Instant Pot"

"Ligurian lemon chicken made w Instant Pot"

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I got a cast iron dutch oven (basically a frying pan and a deeper pan that clamshell together) for like $20 on Amazon, and it's been awesome. Just get that and go nuts.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
So we ended up cooking the insides and sauce on the stove, then coated the tortillas with olive oil and garlic powder, and grilled those. The were fvcking amazing, you have got to try this. We just wrapped and put the sauce on top, skipped the baking part for now, until I get that cast iron pot after work today!

What to grill tonight?!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I heard these are good for cooking and very fast on facebook. No plastic, smoke, flame, or Teflon nastiness to contaminate your food either:

Yeah nah, I'd never willingly give money to a company that's a as lacking in morals as AmaAsshole.
Don't whine about apple if you're not going to do the same about the way Amazon treats it's non management staff.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah nah, I'd never willingly give money to a company that's a as lacking in morals as AmaAsshole.
Don't whine about apple if you're not going to do the same about the way Amazon treats it's non management staff.
Every major brand is listed and most consumers use it as a resource for product information and forums. Also third parties and small businesses routinely depend on their listings there and they don't use Amazon warehouses or staff. Ecologically though, Amazon is most efficient and far superior in terms of their footprint so you can go local and pollute many many times higher than Amazon. Apple has retail stores and they're awful for the environment in comparison. So don't whine about don't whining if you care about the environment.

I would also like to know if you audit your warehouse suppliers which also typically have similar practices or worse and are less efficient and worse for the environment.

It's only getting far better for Amazon workers that remain:

"In several Amazon.com warehouses your packages will be moved from the shelves to the staff not by people, but by robots. Amazon’s new “robot army”—a fleet of short, bright orange robots on wheels—is now working in some of its warehouses to move stocked shelves to workers, who then scan them. This robot army makes Amazon’s operations more efficient: Workers are now expected to be able to scan at least 300 items per hour vs. 100 when the robot army wasn’t in use and will now avoid up to 20 miles of walking each day."

Last edited:
...It's only getting far better for Amazon workers that remain:

"In several Amazon.com warehouses your packages will be moved from the shelves to the staff not by people, but by robots. Amazon’s new “robot army”—a fleet of short, bright orange robots on wheels—is now working in some of its warehouses to move stocked shelves to workers, who then scan them. This robot army makes Amazon’s operations more efficient: Workers are now expected to be able to scan at least 300 items per hour vs. 100 when the robot army wasn’t in use and will now avoid up to 20 miles of walking each day."
Better for the workers that remain. Which is to say more to the few, less to the many. I'm sure the rewards will trickle down.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
First off Dave's point is irrelevant because you can buy the product in over 25 different resellers online alone (and offline too), not just Amazon: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/676022964494509527

Better for the workers that remain. Which is to say more to the few, less to the many. I'm sure the rewards will trickle down.
So what you're saying is you and Dave favor Apple's model where they outsource to China over Nokia's who was able to keep their factories in first world country working conditions with superior working conditions and environmental compliance for over a decade after Apple from the start made their smartphone in China. I'm sure China's profits will trickle down to both the lower class there and the US...

When automation simplifies the distribution and handling of product from manufacturer to store shelf, there is no need to outsource the manufacturing, distribution and handling of product in favor of low cost labor and the plants and jobs stay in the U.S. and other high wage countries.
They're outsourcing meat processing for the US market with US meat products to China these days even...

The alternative is clearly better than Apple's reality:

Also you fail to consider that retail models also depend on warehouse which are as bad or worse than Amazon's

“It is certainly hard work,” said Brant Ivey, who spent six months in one of Amazon’s hubs lifting oversized objects. But “the conditions at the warehouse were on par or better than most other warehouses that I have been in.” One of the biggest complaints is that the warehouses are too hot.
“The work does suck, but all warehouse work sucks. I have experienced FAR worse conditions and been treated terrible by other Fortune 500 companies.”
Amazon was singled out so they were one of the first warehousing companies to fit all their distribution centers with AC - they took major action in less than a year because they're in a first world nation (while Apple has made much slower progress in comparison with their factories in China a decade after being exposed - the best they do is issue annual audit reports saying they can do better for the most part).

The Morning Call followed the story after their initial report, and found that Amazon applied for permits to install temporary air conditioning after complaints were filed with federal regulators. The temporary system was removed in November, and in March a contractor applied for permits to install permanent cooling systems. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos then announced at the end of May that Amazon will retrofit all fulfillment centers with air conditioning.

All new warehouses have air conditioning installed, but analysts like Forrester Research's Sucharita Mulpuru think the decision was likely made to protect food and electronic products, not workers. "I would like to think there was an element of humanity to the decision but there's nothing in Amazon's history or in Jeff Bezos' public persona that would lead me to think that was the driver of the decision. … Rarely has Amazon made any business decisions that didn't affect the bottom line."
Also the planet is more important than supporting redundant industries that support excessive first world consumerism. Perhaps we should work to revive the horse carriage industry? The fossil fuel industry is going to be on it's way out, I suppose you support the subsidies there too.

With the recent automation in the latest factories they are even more efficient than this states:

Despite their size, e-commerce warehouses use 1/16th of the energy that retail stores do. And even overnight air shipping adds up to 40% less fuel, per item, than the average car trip to the store.

Ground shipping is six times more efficient than overnight air shipping. It saves fuel and reduces global warming pollution.
Further reading on automation: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/07/world-without-work/395294/

Last edited:

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
My little brother is in web security or something for them, and he loves it. They have flexy hours and are good to the guys in that department. They are also building a lot in the city, which makes for more cush jobs for people in my industry (commercial property management). I buy as much stuff off of their site vs. others because I feel like I'm supporting my family and my city when I do. And I hate shopping in stores this time of year. Maybe in a torrential downpour I'd go look around... but.... but the INTERNET made life so eeeaasssyyyyy!