Quantcast

Onza tire in the US?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Has anyone spent any time on these? The Ibex looks pretty good..reasonable compounds too..does anyone know what the deal is? Are they going to release them in the US?? A 2.4/2.2 Ibex skinwall combo would be pretty sweet.. CRC has them but a pretty limited selection for 27.5

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I just spent the weekend with a Canis on the rear of my bike in Moab, which is pretty fast rolling, but not super burly. The Ibex definitely looks like a winner, and some other folks on here have tried it and liked it.
I know there's a local rep in Denver that just started carrying them, Elevation Sports and Marketing.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
the IBEX are great, 1ply foldable front, 2ply for the rear.
greate weight, and great traction.
lighter then Maxxis. and strong.
I use them as Gheto tubless.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Another Vote for the Ibex here. While I can't comment on the US availability, I can say that the "Enduro" casing ones are certainly the version to go for, 2.4 Front and Rear (only 850 ish grams each)

Skinwall looks gash though - have a word with yourself ;)

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Interesting tire...

Mounted to an i30 rim, still pretty round. 61mm knobs, 58mm casing.

Did not mount w/ floor pump, required compressor.

Quite open channels between the center line paddles themselves, and between centerline and corner knobs. Lots of negative space

The center line is 1mm shorter than dhf (4 vs 5mm) and same height corner knobs. 1cm thick corner knobs.

It's like onza took the hr1 corner knobs, and then mixed dhf and dhr2 centers.

Interested to see how they hook up on the kitty litter over concrete going on right now

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've been using an Ibex in 26.5x2.25, RC2 casing for over two years. For reference, I use a Maxxis HR2 2.4 3C as a front tire. They are about the same size in my I30 rims, the Onza is a tad narrow then the HR2. I find the Ibex to have more traction and better cornering than the HR2, since the rubber compound is softer. It's been a pretty good tire, except for the fact of a side landing killing it. The casing got all deformed and the tire has a pretty big lump now.

I'm thinking of buying another one in 2.4 and send the faster rolling and sturdier HR2 to the rear wheel.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Another Vote for the Ibex here. While I can't comment on the US availability, I can say that the "Enduro" casing ones are certainly the version to go for, 2.4 Front and Rear (only 850 ish grams each)

Skinwall looks gash though - have a word with yourself ;)

A buddy of mine was running the 29" AM/END ones front and rear.....

Punctured through the center of the rear tire on the first ride. Also the rubber was not gripping well. I'd say go for the DH casing in the rear or avoid rox.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
hmmm. This is interesting. I thought the Ibex had less grippy rubber, and was faster rolling. But I'm looking for a front tire, so maybe the grippier rubber is a good thing?
My fingerometer tells me the 3C HR2 is harder than the Ibex. The way the Maxxis slips on wet logs and the difference in wear/tear confirms my scientifically formulated thesis :nerd:.

EDIT: Just checked. The Onza has the FRC casing, 55a durometer. The less grippy feeling may come from the shorter center knobs when compared to a HR2.

Last edited: