Quantcast

Oh good

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This. I haven't bought much new because I can't just get a frame and swap all my parts. When I do get another bike it'll probably from a comp like guerilla grav so I can get what I want without the marketing bukakke

I'm exactly in the same spot. I might buy a new trailbike but that's only because mine is from 2001 but my legend stands the same for the last 3 seasons. The funny thing is I don't see any performance upgrades worth my money. The damping didn't get better, the bikes aren't lighter unless you buy a carbon frame. 27.5 feel similar to 26 so meh.

A 142 hub is basically a 135 but with a 3.5mm extension on either end that "nests" in the shoulders in the frame. This makes aligning the wheel during installation easier. To accommodate the shoulders, you basically add 7mm to the "old" hub widths. Thusly a 150 hub became a 157. And by that logic, a 148 hub is like a 141 in terms of old units.
So basically they invented 650b of hub standards? Guys let's help the industry and come up with as many in between standard ideas that are possible.

For now I can only think of 27.5 bars and overdrive from giant. Is there an inbetween standard for pedals? Or tire pressure?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Why can't this be a standard ffs? 2 companies make it and it's a great idea but I'm not too eager to drop that cash on a product from a company with known customer service issues. (atomlab)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I can't believe Hope hasn't just made a wider hub shell & axle for use with the SS cassette body that they already make.

I'm sure those would have sold like hotcakes over the past "half of a decade".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i feel bad for premium hub makers (king, hadley, i9, profile, etc) they now need to make eleventy billion different subcomponents to fit all these fucking dentist bikes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Maybe they don't. If you are a dentist and ride mostly around the parking lot, will you go through the trouble of getting custom built wheels with Hadley hubs or will you get some big brand bling from your LBS directly?

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
I had no idea anyone else was doing this, Thanks.
Why can't this be a standard ffs? 2 companies make it and it's a great idea but I'm not too eager to drop that cash on a product from a company with known customer service issues. (atomlab)
Atomlab is awesome to deal with Stateside, in my experience. Don't know why so many companies have been sleeping on this hub design. I have been E-mailing and talking with hub manufacturers about this since the mid 2000's and they all responded like I was crazy, except Atomlab, they were very receptive.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The funny thing is I don't see any performance upgrades worth my money. The damping didn't get better, the bikes aren't lighter unless you buy a carbon frame. 27.5 feel similar to 26 so meh.
Welcome to 2015, the year of the sidegrading. Hundreds of new standards and designs that achieve almost nothing from a performance standpoint but cost a lot of money, thus keeping rich middle aged people's wallets occupied - which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't simultaneously destroy the availability of parts for older standards that work perfectly fine but are now superseded.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Welcome to 2015, the year of the sidegrading. Hundreds of new standards and designs that achieve almost nothing from a performance standpoint but cost a lot of money, thus keeping rich middle aged people's wallets occupied - which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't simultaneously destroy the availability of parts for older standards that work perfectly fine but are now superseded.
It's funny because it's also what keeps some of the gear whores like me from buying new parts. I've built my legend in 2010. Swapped some parts in 2012 and see no reason to upgrade. Ok I could get enve wheels and a bos air fork (don't know why I still want air but whatever) but outside of buying few super high end products new bikes aren't atractive to me at all since they give me no apparent benefits. Hell maybe if I finally decide to get a larger frame I will go 27.5 but again they don't make the rims I like in 27.5 so why would I?

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I think it's good that the industry brings out these stupid standards

...that way I can easily identify on the trail who likes to suck the industrie's c0ck

-Look, that guy has a Boost 148 bike
-Ha, what a c0ck sucking moron!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
While reading this thread I can't help but feel bad for the shops and the suckers buying this shit. I've worked at shops for 17 years now and can tell you how much it sucks to have customers come in and not have the product they need in stock. We get calls all day long asking "Do you have a bb for a Trek Fuel?" or "I need a rear wheel for my stump jumper". You then find out they want the same 28 spoke wheel that came on the bike. The BB for the Fuel isn't a typical BB, rather a press fit that needs to be ordered. Trek asks for the serial number and tells you what one and sends it to you. They didn't tell you that they changed the BB since then, so now you need to order an adapter to make those bearings work that they previously sent you.
I9 spokes, straight pull spokes, j-bend, butted, guage, color, lenght...
BB's - threaded, square taper, shell length, spindle length, isis, gxp, plus the new 12 press fit sizes.
Hubs-....
Forks-....
Derailleurs -....
Disc brakes - post, IS mount, 5 different rotor sizes, avid specific 185 disc, splined, 6 bolt, adapters out the ass, pads, mineral oil or DOT fluid, the tools to bleed every type...
Chainrings - 1,2,3, color, speeds, tooth count, narrow-wide, SS, 4 or 5 bolt, cinch mount...
Tires-....

As if this shit isn't bad enough, we didn't even mention the common Wally world bikes, ROAD or BMX yet!

It's a very bad situation to be in if you're a shop owner. It's too bad cause the company you're trying to sell is hurting your return customers.

My IH Sunday has seen its day, but last year I didn't buy a new one cause I saw 650 was the new thing. This year I'm buying one, but I'm hesitant because it's only made in aluminium which tells me that they're still making changes to it. Not that I want carbon, but this means that when the carbon one does come out, I will be tweaked to the "new industry standards"

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Not that it kept me up at night but I did always wonder why we didn't have dish less wheels. I thought maybe it made them tougher against retuning from braking. But I never gave it much thought as I'm a lightweight and can't notice wheel flex as an issue. But frick, it'd have been obvious when they changed from 110 x 20 and 135 etc.
I'm annoyed to be running an unneeded dished rear 142 on my Nicolai with gearbox, but again, don't loose sleep over it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
mmmmm bukkake

is that natto?! caus' if it is, you can keep it, you creep. that's just disgusting.

in other news..: "Bill didn't seem to be a fan of the new Boost standard, and says he only produced these hubs to give his customers the option. He feels that the industry isn't thinking outside of the box, and suggests the main reason for Boost is to move the chain line further outboard, to give clearance for wider tyres and shorter chainstays, not to create wider hub and stronger wheel. He's a fan of Cannondale's F-Si cross-country race machine which uses an offset rear end to achieve the same effect. The F-Si has some of the shortest 29er chainstays on market with suitable rear wheel clearance and chain line. "We didn't need the Boost standard in this ever-changing industry, and could have simply used non-symmetrical rear ends to achieve the same results," he said."

If a (not insignificant) industry player is already pooping on the standard, maybe it won't gain traction?! (One can only hope)

source

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Stuff smells like a wet, dirty dish sponge that's been left to ferment in a dark place. Delicious!
and tastes even worse.

I have a pretty adventurous palate... but this stuff defeated me. Hell, it tastes worse than the toasted grubs I had in Ecuador.

Last edited:

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
is that natto?! caus' if it is, you can keep it, you creep. that's just disgusting.

in other news..: "Bill didn't seem to be a fan of the new Boost standard, and says he only produced these hubs to give his customers the option. He feels that the industry isn't thinking outside of the box, and suggests the main reason for Boost is to move the chain line further outboard, to give clearance for wider tyres and shorter chainstays, not to create wider hub and stronger wheel. He's a fan of Cannondale's F-Si cross-country race machine which uses an offset rear end to achieve the same effect. The F-Si has some of the shortest 29er chainstays on market with suitable rear wheel clearance and chain line. "We didn't need the Boost standard in this ever-changing industry, and could have simply used non-symmetrical rear ends to achieve the same results," he said."

If a (not insignificant) industry player is already pooping on the standard, maybe it won't gain traction?! (One can only hope)

source
Winner, winner chicken dinner!
The whole wheel stiffness thing is just to help shove it down peoples throats. Very much like BB/PF30 standard.

Really funny thing is that Trek is now finding out that some of the Boost 148 components that they talked the big boys into making shift like utter shit. Kinda like how PF30 is a major downgrade from threaded BSA BB's.

Boycott the Boost!