Quantcast

Oakley goggle venting question

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
hi guys, i'm gonna buy some new goggles, oakley I'm pretty sure... so I visit their site and they have a section for bmx/mtb there. So why do all the bmx/mtb goggles not have the circle vents on top of the lens? Seems to me that the double lens w/ the vents on top would be much better for anti fog?

Basically I've always thought the "MX Enduro" goggles would be the best for mtb. Anyone know the difference?

thanks a bunch :oink:

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I just got some Oakley MX "O" frames. They're pretty killer so far. No, they don't have circular vents on top or a double lense, but after 2 days of pretty hard riding, I can safely say that fog is not a problem. They do have vents on the bottom and top of the frames. The only time they've fogged up on me is when I'm pushing back up, or sitting for a couple of minutes with them on, even then it's minimal and the second you start riding they clear right up. I also went to a MX shop and picked up one of those quick straps so I can tear them off pretty quick. For everything I spent $50.00

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I got the L frames and I tend to run really hot. I am always fogging up my goggles in the winter snowboarding. I haven't had any problems with the L frames. As long as I am moving they stay nice and un-fogged.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I think that it has something to do with double vs. single lenses. Goggles trap heat. Having a single lens snow sport goggle would lead to fogging. When the teperature of your face and the air is closer, figgin is less of an issue. Or something like that. Think about breathing on a cold window in winter versus blowing on a warm window in summer. Its the cold window that will fog much worse. But you still need some venting. I have Spy Scoop MX goggles and the Oakley MX goggles. I do not know how many different lines of MX goggles each company offers, but each retailed for ~$40. Both resist fogging equally well so long as I am moving.

I just tried another pair of goggles on that have recently become my first choice. Maybe Native? I'm pissed I can't remember. A friend owns them. They are wider than Oakley and Spy, but thinner (top-to-bottom). They haver very low profile frames and very convex lenses. They offer the best fit and field of vision of any goggle I have tried. They are wide enough that helmet width could be a factor.

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
thanks guys, so its sounding like the regular MX single lens will work fine... I was just hoping maybe someone has tried both and had a direct comparison for DHing, which fogs less, dual vented lens or single unvented lens.. thanks again :)