Quantcast

North shore and Whistler set up

Rocket

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Can anyone tell me whats the ideal chainring set up for all the NS and downhilling at whistler.

Is a single ring set up ok and what size, or do you need to run a small gear on your rig.

I posted a similar topic in the lounge about this but didn't get too many replies, I'm still just not sure about the best set up....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Post this in the PNW forum and you will get more people who ride the shore all the time. If you are going to shuttle the shore and ride whistler, you will want the single ring with a real chainguide. The dual ring guides just aren't as good. If you are riding up the shore, then you will need that small ring. Me? I just push and leave the single ring. I would run a 34-36. Another hot setup I've seen is to run a single ring guide with dual rotating plates and a small chainring with no front derailleur. When you get to the top, shift the chain with your fingers. If you run a MRP, you would have to readjust the rollers, but it would give you the best of bothe worlds.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
for the shore a 32 or 34 mid ring with double plates works well (no rollers / guides) - i've run that on my ht & dually & never drop a chain. if you're reasonably fit, a granny isnt really needed for the climbs. the 34 works @ whistler as well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
xy9ine said:
for the shore a 32 or 34 mid ring with double plates works well (no rollers / guides) - i've run that on my ht & dually & never drop a chain. if you're reasonably fit, a granny isnt really needed for the climbs. the 34 works @ whistler as well.
it's not like rollers are gonna hurt you? MRP's Mini Me (32-34t?) works killer for low speed stunts and is super cheap ($140?)!

although a 34t will work for Whistler I like a 38t...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
zane said:
I have a 32t ring and am running an e13 guide. Works awesome for shore stuff.
good point, E-13 guides are also cheap and I think they accept a larger range of gear sizes...how big does yours go up to?

Stinky_Rider

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
I ride 32 and 24" in the rear, can be abit hectic in whistler

I would go with a 42/44 witha 24" for shore and whistler
or 32/34 witha 26" rear for shore and whistler.

I don't use a granny gear as I got a chainguide, but I would suggest running a rock ring, and an eNVy double e (e2) plate with a granny gear on the very inside, the system works well, more info found on http://www.nsmb.com/gear/diaboluscranks_04_04.php, and www.envygear.com

hope that helps!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I swap my ring over from riding the shore to ripping Whistler. I think you need at least a 38 tooth there, I generally ride a 40t.
On the north shore, something like a 34 will work well, you need the extra BB clearance too. I run a 32 on the shore as I don't have a granny and I like to pedal my M1 up too.

Rocket

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
Cheers for all the advice, think I'm goin to run 32 or 34 with a 22. Best of both worlds....

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I run a 22/32. But my bike is also my trail bike so I need to be able to pedal up a lot. If it was a PURE dh bike...36 would probably be ideal :)