Quantcast

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am going to start marketing a drive train with an infinitely low gear ratio. It will be super light weight, made from advanced alloys that optimize performance. It will just be a dropped chain but someone will buy it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Why do hubs keep getting wider and wider, rims get wider and wider, cassettes keep getting more and more gears, and yet the width of the cassette body has stayed the same since 1990? Unfortunately, when the change does come, Shimano, Scram and whoever else will have different widths, and grooves for the cassettes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how about quick-change chainrings, instead? with all the "enduro-cool" ness going on, you could throw a 24t in your pack, then swap to a 36t at the top, tool free, and win the race that's totally just like riding in the woods with your friends except you have fanny packs on.

I'd rather have a nice tight cluster and the wider range of two front gears.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
how about quick-change chainrings, instead? with all the "enduro-cool" ness going on, you could throw a 24t in your pack, then swap to a 36t at the top, tool free, and win the race that's totally just like riding in the woods with your friends except you have fanny packs on.

Would anybody bother changing chainrings mid ride, ever? I know I wouldn't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

may as well carry spare tires with you so you can swap out for a DH tire before descending. So endurobro.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Would anybody bother changing chainrings mid ride, ever? I know I wouldn't.
oh god no, not mid ride. but if you're participating in a race that has a really laid back atmosphere, where everybody is riding half-domes and goggles, and you've just totally shredded that last segment, you could hot-swap a 20t on your progressive-linear-progressive wheel rate bike, and totally shred your way back to the top. totally.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

That's an awesome idea. What if we improve it a little though. Instead of having it in your pack, what if you could have it affixed to your bike in some way. And instead of having to stop and swap the big one for the little when you get to the top, what if you had a button on your handlebars that you could press and the chain would go from one ring to the other by itself.

We could call it... um.... a "FRONT DERAILER"
Oh even better... a "front chainring switcherroo'r"

Oh, I hereby patent this idea and the name.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
dude front derailleurs turn monkeys into MTBRers. You can't do that. Next thing you'll be saying we should be riding fat bikes and ride fat rims and buy 27.5" bikes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm gonna come out with "Four Minute Abs" :D

Bigger rear cog means you can run a larger front chainring. Usually that helps with pedal bob. Also helps you reach mach plaid.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
The only reason I switched to 10spd was for the clutch. I barely use first gear as is. 34 up front and 11-36 out back, if you need more than that maybe you need to htfu.
That may be fine for the Poconos but I have a 4500 foot (top to bottom elevation change) mountain near my house and the climbs can last for HOURS without stop. Some of the gradients are STEEP. 34/36 wouldn't cut it.. Well, not for me at least. I'll stick with a front derailer thank you very much.

I grew up near you, and I know the topography out there. The climbs may have steep sections, but they are not the death marches I have here in SoCal.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That may be fine for the Poconos but I have a 4500 foot (top to bottom elevation change) mountain near my house and the climbs can last for HOURS without stop. Some of the gradients are STEEP. 34/36 wouldn't cut it.. Well, not for me at least. I'll stick with a front derailer thank you very much.

I grew up near you, and I know the topography out there. The climbs may have steep sections, but they are not the death marches I have here in SoCal.
34t ring and an 11-32 cassette on my Spitfire when I lived down your way. HTFU. :D