Quantcast

No shimano for SX?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
My SX frameset came in-i took my gold old shimano saint derailleur and threw it on-no dice. Spesh did it again with their stupid drop-outs. It rubs on the demo and wont fit on the SX. It can be adjusted to fit if you run a MTB cassette (or so i believe) But nothin for a road cassette. Tried my backup 105 derailleur and that fits, and works, but upon every bump smashes into the frame, making it sound like a machine gun.

Am i really unable to run a Short derailleur on a road cassette? How could specialized miss something like this? :eek:

No saint on a road cassette?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=62040&scid=1100&scname=Mountain

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
If you are using an old saint derrailur, it might have had the little black piece with the two allen screws removed (the one that rests on the bikes hanger). That extension is needed to clear some frames.

-KT

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
yes, but thats not a dh bike. if you got a sram around try it for the hell of it. also a pic of it with the saint might help as well.
Took it off already, what happens is that in the "high range" it works, but wont shift for ****. Put in in the low range, and when you shift it hits the pivot (inside side of the bottom chainstay) I am just hoping im doing it wrong-im almost so happy with it

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
Took it off already, what happens is that in the "high range" it works, but wont shift for ****. Put in in the low range, and when you shift it hits the pivot (inside side of the bottom chainstay) I am just hoping im doing it wrong-im almost so happy with it
can you get a couple pics? it almost sounds like what mine did when i first put it on.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
where exactly was it contacting?
It was hitting the chainstay-on the inside (between wheel and frame)

The problem enlies when it tries to work its way down and "tuck in"

The choices are to have it in "mtn" mode and have it shift like turd, or to have it in "road" mode and have it hit the frame after 6th gear. 6 speed win?

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
It was hitting the chainstay-on the inside (between wheel and frame)

The problem enlies when it tries to work its way down and "tuck in"

The choices are to have it in "mtn" mode and have it shift like turd, or to have it in "road" mode and have it hit the frame after 6th gear. 6 speed win?
Try a Shadow-type Shimano derailleur.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
That's because most people adjust their b-tension screw properly.
The problem enlies with the B tension.

Screw it in, and it pulls the derailleur back (it will now clear) However, the deraileur is now far away from the cassette and now shifts like turd. (with new cable/housing)

screw it in so it matches the cassette (per instructions) and it wont clear the frame. I will try to get some pics tomorrow-right now the 105 is on it so i can at least cruise around on it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ohh, thought - is your chain length correct? I had a somewhat similar situation once, albeit on a hardtail. der was clanging against the chainstay in the low gears, turned out the chain was too long. took out like 4 links, problem solved.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
FWIW shimano used to make little rubber boots to minimize the noise of the derailleur flapping around, for the old xt and xtr derailleurs. it should pop on and should work with the 105 rear derailleur if you keep that guy on there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've got nothin' for ya. I just thought I'd point out that "enlies" is not a word. fwiw, I have a Saint, a Demo 8 and a road cassette, and no problems. It's a known issue with HL bikes that some derailleurs hit the chainstay/pivot assembly, but I thought the new "shadow" configuration was supposed to solve that. Maybe you're due for the new XTR w/ the clutch thingy on it...

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I've got nothin' for ya. I just thought I'd point out that "enlies" is not a word. fwiw, I have a Saint, a Demo 8 and a road cassette, and no problems. It's a known issue with HL bikes that some derailleurs hit the chainstay/pivot assembly, but I thought the new "shadow" configuration was supposed to solve that. Maybe you're due for the new XTR w/ the clutch thingy on it...
This ^^ . It's due to the extra forward movement that the old Shimano derailleurs have and the low pivot of the FSR design directly in front of the derailleur. Specialized and Shimano used to come with the black bumper, (similar to what you would see on the shocks on older FSR designs so the seatpost didn't blow a hole through the shock ie. Enduros) and this would either go on the FSR pivot, or the derailleur. Now, the derailleur would still hit, but it would dampen the amount of noise and the damage to both the frame and mech. The new Shadow derailleurs do not have this forward movement, and as a result, you can have cleaner shifting, less chain slap, and no more knocking on FSR designs.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Remove what spring slappy?
Oh yeah. It's the net. I need to draw pictures.

Remove the coil spring from the shock if you're going to properly set the correct chain length. Has this been done as yet?

He's putting a different derailleur on a bike than was on it prior, so his chain length will be different.

No sense in setting up all the limit screws and B tension screw if he hasn't got the correct chain length first.

It's just like when you wipe your arse. You grab the paper and assume there's something back there. Never take your palm and do a dry run first.
:rolleyes:

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Oh yeah. It's the net. I need to draw pictures.

Remove the coil spring from the shock if you're going to properly set the correct chain length. Has this been done as yet?

He's putting a different derailleur on a bike than was on it prior, so his chain length will be different.

No sense in setting up all the limit screws and B tension screw if he hasn't got the correct chain length first.

It's just like when you wipe your arse. You grab the paper and assume there's something back there. Never take your palm and do a dry run first.
:rolleyes:
Air shock? I think that's what he was getting at.

C4dev

Chimp
Jan 7, 2009
Jesus the horst link on the sx is low... There is a good chance that you'll get contact no matter what you do, even with correct b screw adjustment & chain length. I used to have this issue on my Nicolai Lambda with a link that wasn't as low as that. A Shadow or SRAM mech should have no problems, the rubber bumper is just a band-aid Shimano produced to alleviate the problem - it'll still drive you crazy...

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Jesus the horst link on the sx is low... There is a good chance that you'll get contact no matter what you do, even with correct b screw adjustment & chain length. I used to have this issue on my Nicolai Lambda with a link that wasn't as low as that. A Shadow or SRAM mech should have no problems, the rubber bumper is just a band-aid Shimano produced to alleviate the problem - it'll still drive you crazy...
THANK YOU. :thumb:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
With deraileur set how it should be-no B tension set for a Road cassette (instructions-correct)

CAUSES THIS

if we shove it clockwise we can get a theoretical solution-it appears to work

While it wont hit the frame, it wont shift either-after even more messing with it and ANOTHER new cable + housing i am left with this as my "best" scenario.

starting in 9th
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
(now down)
Ghost-2-3-4-5-6-7-double(9th)

The derailur moves when it ghosts, however, no matter how i mess with the limit screws it wont make the shift. I cannot solve this locking out 1 2 or 9. I can reverse the problem to have it double 1 and 2, but i cannot get the double out.

*i also noticed a possible wormhole to another dimension, the shifter gets more clicks up compared to down. 8 up and 7 down. How is that even possible?

:crazy:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
check the derailler hanger for proper alignment, and make sure the derailler is straight. i've had both cause the exact ghost shifting issues you described above.

C4dev

Chimp
Jan 7, 2009
With deraileur set how it should be-no B tension set for a Road cassette (instructions-correct)

CAUSES THIS
I take back what I said about a shadow mech working, thats TIGHT; though I've never worked with one of the new SAINTs. I really doubt your going to have joy with that one: but why not get the word from the horses mouth and give specialized a call? From what I've seen on here if there's anyone they deserve to give an answer to its you as you probably contribute more to their pensions than anyone else has...

*i also noticed a possible wormhole to another dimension, the shifter gets more clicks up compared to down. 8 up and 7 down. How is that even possible?

It's not: do that 9 times in a row tell us what happens, if its still going on and your mech hasn't jammed up then I'll subscribe to your wormhole theory :D (I think your counting may be a bit off, or its not shifting through the range properly cause of you frame/mech contact at the end...)

Last edited:

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma

CAUSES THIS

if we shove it clockwise we can get a theoretical solution-it appears to work

While it wont hit the frame, it wont shift either-after even more messing with it and ANOTHER new cable + housing i am left with this as my "best" scenario.

starting in 9th
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
(now down)
Ghost-2-3-4-5-6-7-double(9th)

The derailur moves when it ghosts, however, no matter how i mess with the limit screws it wont make the shift. I cannot solve this locking out 1 2 or 9. I can reverse the problem to have it double 1 and 2, but i cannot get the double out.

almost looks like your missing the little black thing that changes derailer to work with different cassettes.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
demo 9, can you get away with 1 link shorter chain? that will pull the derailleur down and off the pivot a little bit, and combine that with maybe 1/4 in b-tension?

i am sure you have tried everything. looks way frustrating.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Got it "working" today. New Derailur, New housing, New shifter cable and routed a different way (skipping the BB cable guide). Still had to set the der up with a cockeyed mounting, but it seems better than it was, works 90% in the stand, about 85% in the street-but i suspect that it will work better when there are bumps and a higher cadence when i actually ride it (bumps/speed will work to "help" it shift)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
See, the pundits were right. Buying lots of stuff will fix the problem.

I just put a new XT shadow on my Intense and the geo of that der is completely different from the Saint. The jockey pulley sits way behind the axle CL and even with the B-tension all the way out, there is about a 3/4" gap. Shifts fine though and the spring is much stronger than any other der I've ever installed.

I think the Saint may be the only Shimano der that would interfere with your bike in that way. I wouldn't hesitate to add enough b-tension to make it clear and run it.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Got it "working" today. New Derailur, New housing, New shifter cable and routed a different way (skipping the BB cable guide). Still had to set the der up with a cockeyed mounting, but it seems better than it was, works 90% in the stand, about 85% in the street-but i suspect that it will work better when there are bumps and a higher cadence when i actually ride it (bumps/speed will work to "help" it shift)
How's your cassette looking? That sounds like how mine shifts. Ok in the stand, have to shove it a little extra for a couple of shifts in lot, works better when on the trail. FSR, new X9, Road Cassette, fairly new chain, and enough B tension to clear the frame. It's the cassette that's bad, but hardly visible to the untrained eye.