Quantcast

Nicolai riding impressions - I don't mind if you spam

I'm planning on finally getting a new frame at the end of this summer, to replace my 2001 big hit comp.

While it all may be a pipe dream depending on the amount of funds I manage to raise between now and then, a nicolai is definately something I'm considering at the moment.

I'm deciding between the Lambda and the M-Pire.

I'm just looking for some riding impressions - you can spam and tell me how great the bike is if you want, but what would be even more helpful is if you described the ride quality of the bike: what it "feels" like.

FYI: I'm also considering the canfield f1, the turner DHR (my current top pick), and the sinister R9. I DO NOT like bikes that feel dead, similar to the SC v10. I rode a friends Giant DH team bike, and it felt nice - it seems to share many design features with the M-Pire.

THANKS - and remember, I don't mind biased opinions, just try to be as descriptive as possible.
Cam

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ive got a lambda and i love the bike. it feels very lively and pedals quite well to. Its a great jumper, it drops great, and feels awsome on a DH course. The bike IMO feels like a very long travel turner RFX. craftsmanship is the best of any bike ive ever seen, and the warranty is awsome. Id strongly recommend one

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Good point..ok well I have only had one ride on it so here is my intial impression. I owned a Nucleon all last year and loved it....except for the weight I couldn't ask for anything more. Having said that I immediately noticed a huge weight difference. My M-pire weighs in a 41lbs. but that was with a breakout+. I like the headangle but the rear stays are a bit short for me. I use to run my Nuc at 18" and the M-pire at full length is only 17.5

I have had to adjust my riding style from the middle of the bike when cornering to hanging over the bars to weight the front tire. I also immediately noticed the chain torque. I ride flats about 80% of the time and I must say it's quite irritating. Although I was getting more comfortable with it as the day progressed....I still just don't like it...I will throw a couple of more links in my chain and that should help short of running a 50t chainring.

One advantage I noticed with the shorter stays and the breakout+...I could manual pretty easy and bunny hop over anything. The bike runs very quietly and there is minimal chain noise as long as you protect the upper and lower stays (see Pic). Hmm what else can I say....oh the cable routing is clean...it may seem like a small thing to most but I think when a manufacturer is asking a couple grand for a frame the least they could do is have nice clean cable routing.

The Romic shock works well with the suspension and helps eliminate some of the skipping of the rear during braking...also the M-pire pedals pretty well I was able to really stomp the pedals without a lot of suspension action. This could be because of the Romic or the suspension design....I'm not sure.

That's all I can think of now...if you have specific questions ask away and I will do my best to answer them....D