Quantcast

Newest Hope M4 for DH

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've never been impressed with them in the past. Yeah, they are pretty and made in a 1st world country, but the price/performance ratio never penciled out for me.
The newest prices look good. Better than XTR in fact. On par with the new Saints.

Have they fixed the issues? Noisy when wet? Lever going to bar? Pumping up on long descents?
Are the new Race levers any good?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My friend has the 2010 model and he has no problems but when I test rode them they weren't the most powerful brakes. If you are light they will be ok but expect am brake power.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Any of those issues you just described can happen to any brake, and be fixed. Hopes are in my experience the absolute easiest brake to work on and require about 4 tools you can find in pretty much any tool box.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The only serious complaint I can even begin to fathom anyone having with the current Saint brakes are the lever ergonomics, which don't bother me much but can see how they could be annoying, particularly for people with smaller hands, and they look to have fixed that on the new ones. Hell, even the current XT brakes are entirely DH worthy.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i have a set of the new hope m4 evo's on my trail bike. very nice brake. the eve lever fixed the issue with poor power. much better feel than the 1-2 year old version.

that said, i would not pull them off and put them on my DH bike so i can save 45g per brake. saints stay on the dh bike for sure.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
To be more insightful.

Saint brakes: Mine were inconsistent feeling to me. At the beginning of a run they felt very powerful, but by the bottom they were squishy and would go to the bars. I bled them multiple times, so that was no the issue. Other than that, I probably would have stuck with them as I liked everything else.

Hope Tech V2's: They have a ton of power, but modulate very well. The pads are bigger and require you to use Hope's rotors, but that is not a downside to me as they look great and I wanted 2 piece rotors anyway. Hope has a lot of info on their site regarding set-up, bleeding, etc. I have contacted their support and they are very helpful. They are billet, one piece calipers and levers... I could go on and on what I like about them.