Quantcast

New to the downhill world

Oct 30, 2014
Hello everyone I am new and want to get into downhill biking. Can anyone help with bike and equipment recommendations and advice for someone new to the downhill world?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
How much money you got?

Most people will tell you to get a bargain bike while you ease yourself into the sport.

In my opinion, that is a waste of money. You will love the sport. I recommend you get something that is the shiz and is relatively expensive. That will keep your stoke level up and make you want to ride even more often. That has always worked for me.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
First, you'll need to watch this:

Once thats out of the way, buy a bike. If you'll be riding mostly park stuff and mild DH, you're probably OK with getting a newer "enduro" bike (i.e. something with ~`60 mm of rear travel like a Santa Cruz Nomad, Spesh Enduro, Giant Reign, Transition Covert, etc...) as they can handle most of what you'll actually ride. But if you're dead set on a DH bike, just get something a couple years old like a Transition 450, Spesh Demo, Santa Cruz V10, Giant Glory or something like this -
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1666132/

Most of the DH bikes from the last 4-5 years are pretty solid designs, have reasonable geometry, and will last a long time if treated with a modicum of sense. IMO, the main thing to look for in a used bike is the condition of the pivots/bearings (should be no play in the suspension and it should move freely if the shock is removed), condition of the fork (preferably no stanchion flaws and its not in need of a complete rebuild right off the bat...or just get a Suntour Rux), and quality brakes (I'm a Shimano guy myself, but there certainly other good brands out there, but they should grab hard and fit your hand well in terms of reach). A well functioning rear shock is obviously nice as well, but not as important as the front bumpstick and brakes in my experience.

You'll want a decent full face helmet, which can usually be had for $100 or so - no need for a $400 carbon TLD bike hat. You'll need goggles too ($50 or less). I'd pony up and get at least knee/shin and elbow/forearm armor, which you can probably score for $150 or less. There's tons of quality armor options out there now, with the main goal of finding knee/leg armor that fits you properly and doesn't slide around while riding. Like in the bedroom, tighter is usually better (but not so much it cuts off your circulation...no one wants that). Upper body armor vests are nice too, but hot as hell in some climates and not an absolute necessity IMO. Same with a neck brace - nice, but they can be spendy, and I'd consider that investment if you end up really getting into the sport.

If you're used to flat pedals, thats the way to go. Again, a lot of good flat pedal options out there for under $100, and sometimes a used bike will come with what you need anyway. I'd spend some money on quality friction shoes like Five Ten Impacts or something along those lines. If you're clip guy, get something like Shimano M647 pedals or Time ATACs, and there's tons of options for clip shoes - just get something kinda beefy with decent toe protection.

Now you're almost all set. The last few things you'll need is a ziploc bag of shim(z), a cliffs notes version of Tony Foale's book on suspension design, another ziploc bag with a few ounces of weed, and an enduro fanny pack (to hold your weed & shimz).

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Best advice is not to ask anybody for advice in the The Lounge except if you need to buy a Subaru. For DH there is a down hill forum.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
God damnit, that was my first planned response...Le sigh...

Oh well, at least I've seen a grown man naked and don't think NBA players play defense.

And yes, fuck the official car of women's softball. I want to make a boxer motor/RS boxxer joke, but I'm too lazy.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dh is dead. Enduro is the new black. Buy carbon and don't screw around, the cheap stuff is made from recycled Chinese cardboard and crack babies. The new mantra is water bottle cages, EPO and being Kom of everything . Consult kidwoo on tire choice, gff for lifestyle, and stosh about fashion.