Quantcast

New nomad V6 vs Capra vs slash gen 6

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Nomad V6 xxl
Pedals well, descends absolutely aggressive and can throw whips and flats on it easy..has a solid pocket and doesn't come around on you and wander in air...

Dead silent, I do have to move saddle forward that should help with pedalling and the size.

Opened up the slow speed comp on fork and shock to allow it to take tips off stuff and couldn't be happier.

COMPARISON:
2023 Capra xxl- pedals better, hangs up on some hits a walks in rear a bit. Very playful, wanders a bit but a hell of a do it all aggressive all mountain bike...
Light and feels light but does wander a bit in air...easy to maneuver.

2024 slash gen 6 xl- pedals about the same as nomad, handles square edge hits better, less flickable and playfull then nomad..stable and fast on DH and chunk..
Heavy in alloy, jumps well but SUPER planted

Nomad v6- pedals well not as good as capra, totally flickable and easy as hell to throw it around in air and smash drifts...great at descending and handles some really chunky nasty crap...did hit a few large square edge hits and it didn't hang up but you could feel it tug a smidge...the bike is fast...

I ordered a carbon trek slash gen 6 today , be here by end of month. Love it for ripping around ..sold the aluminum due to weight and wanted a lighter version so its on the way.
20240506_184333.jpg
20240414_183947.jpg
20231211_114359.jpg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dammit...now i want to trade my nomad vwhatever for the new new nomad. except i'm not a bike whore and just build as bulletproof as possible and ride that good shit until it explodes. so i'll just keep doing that :rofl:

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
dammit...now i want to trade my nomad vwhatever for the new new nomad. except i'm not a bike whore and just build as bulletproof as possible and ride that good shit until it explodes. so i'll just keep doing that :rofl:
My mate just went from 5 to 6 and its a fair bit quicker on track. Doesnt climb as good, but descending is better for sure he says.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What do you mean by wanders a bit for Capra? I have the alu so the characteristics are a bit different but are you saying it's not stiff enough? Since that's the only gripe I have with it besides it being probably less plowy than the 2 other bikes you mentioned. Then again my previous bike was a Legend which was probably the stiffest dh bike on the market and the bikes I've tested before buying the Capra I don't remember how stiff they were.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What do you mean by wanders a bit for Capra? I have the alu so the characteristics are a bit different but are you saying it's not stiff enough? Since that's the only gripe I have with it besides it being probably less plowy than the 2 other bikes you mentioned. Then again my previous bike was a Legend which was probably the stiffest dh bike on the market and the bikes I've tested before buying the Capra I don't remember how stiff they were.
Start off by saying I really like the Capra, it has one area it lacks a smidge and I'm opening up rebound stack and adding a bit to compression .
The bike kicks ass , my son has an alloy version as well..cracked the rear and is determined to break it before replacing it .he loves it too, he came off a DH bike...

When jumping and hammering through rougher sections it likes to wander a bit in ass end. The other two hold line and when jumping are a bit more composed and numb feeling when launching and chatter..back end stays following versus little hits chipping it one side or another...

Capra likes to get a little Stevie Wonder back there and wander...it's not a deal killer by any means I love the bike, custom tuning the shock and going to try and smooth it a smidge..
It's cornering pedalling jumping (park style) and Enduro feel is really solid...granted it's not a DH bike but I gravitate towards that and it shows it's not it's strong suit...so I'm going to try and tune it out a bit and o-chain should help...

The stack that yt had done doesn't suit the bike for this..super open como heavier rebound..I'm upping compression to handle hits a little better and opening up compression to avoid packing up

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Start off by saying I really like the Capra, it has one area it lacks a smidge and I'm opening up rebound stack and adding a bit to compression .
The bike kicks ass , my son has an alloy version as well..cracked the rear and is determined to break it before replacing it .he loves it too, he came off a DH bike...

When jumping and hammering through rougher sections it likes to wander a bit in ass end. The other two hold line and when jumping are a bit more composed and numb feeling when launching and chatter..back end stays following versus little hits chipping it one side or another...

Capra likes to get a little Stevie Wonder back there and wander...it's not a deal killer by any means I love the bike, custom tuning the shock and going to try and smooth it a smidge..
It's cornering pedalling jumping (park style) and Enduro feel is really solid...granted it's not a DH bike but I gravitate towards that and it shows it's not it's strong suit...so I'm going to try and tune it out a bit and o-chain should help...

The stack that yt had done doesn't suit the bike for this..super open como heavier rebound..I'm upping compression to handle hits a little better and opening up compression to avoid packing up
Ah. It gets bounced off line. That is true. It's more progressive than the other 2 and I think less rearward too if I remember right so this makes sense.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ah. It gets bounced off line. That is true. It's more progressive than the other 2 and I think less rearward too if I remember right so this makes sense.
Definitely less rearward more vertical and progressive with a drop ...

BUT it is a fun ass bike that rips, it's why I have a hard time selling it. Climbs well and descends well, balanced fast in and out of corners. The XXL frame makes for it nice being longer...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Our Bullcrew all done grew up and now likes bikes appropriately sized :D
Yes!!! You guys were right!!!
There I said it, lol I think being torso is so long +3 arms it fits better up top it's more composed with direction...i do notice that I have to start my tricks a little ahead of time or throwing bike last minute wont get me as far or fast..but stability and planted feels better...

Plus you get really good deals on larger bikes so that's a bonus . I am going to add a large to the mix for airbag and tricks...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I wonder if Horst link bikes have a tendency to be a little less stiff in the rear end. I noticed a massive difference when I upgraded from my Levo to my Heckler SL doing shitty little cutties and such. Also, the stiffer rear end on the Heckler (and my Nomad) handles being loaded up on flat-ish corners to pop out of them better.

Or maybe Spec just makes noodle-y rear ends to try and save grams.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I wonder if Horst link bikes have a tendency to be a little less stiff in the rear end. I noticed a massive difference when I upgraded from my Levo to my Heckler SL doing shitty little cutties and such. Also, the stiffer rear end on the Heckler (and my Nomad) handles being loaded up on flat-ish corners to pop out of them better.

Or maybe Spec just makes noodle-y rear ends to try and save grams.
I personally don't think every rear needs to be stiff, deflection and riding style I think are more important..allow it to move and take away some energy from rider and glide a little easier and less off course.

I'd think some bikes benefit from a more compliant rear and others big hit mashing type need a little more Ridgididty to keep exit on a hard hit or drop.

I am tuning the rear to a C20 r35 stack on Ohlins (add compression open rebound up).

See if between that and O-chain doesn't open it up a bit off the tips..then that bike will kill it..

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Definitely less rearward more vertical and progressive with a drop ...

BUT it is a fun ass bike that rips, it's why I have a hard time selling it. Climbs well and descends well, balanced fast in and out of corners. The XXL frame makes for it nice being longer...
Imho it depends on the tracks you ride. Everything here got turned to flow tracks and our DH track builers are morons (thankfully not all) who are sending me treats for neutral comments about uci delagates existing because 10 yeas ago I wrote some articles (not about them but about good builders abroad) plus criticized them on the forums and they are still butthurt about it apparently ;)

So since everything here is flow and I'm not fit enough for rough tracks after a spinal fracture 1.5Y ago + having 9 months of a work that ended with my psychiatrist sending me on medical leave (French corporate culture is something else. avoid it). Maybe once I get back to form I might be tempted to ride roughter tracks on the Slovak/Czech side of our mountains.

To end the TMI - for flow tracks the Capra is a total blast. It's basically a pedalable park bike that can take fairly large hits.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@norbar yeah injury sucks ass..broken backs, hips, ribs, skull and the TBI when I disappeared off here for a few years.. so yeah a broken back is not TMI man rather a hell of an obstacle to overcome and be killing it still..way to keep going

And yeah the capra Rips really well, fast fluid fun pedals ...shark teeth runs aren't it's wheel house but I will give it a shot and do pretty damn good

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@norbar yeah injury sucks ass..broken backs, hips, ribs, skull and the TBI when I disappeared off here for a few years.. so yeah a broken back is not TMI man rather a hell of an obstacle to overcome and be killing it still..way to keep going

And yeah the capra Rips really well, fast fluid fun pedals ...shark teeth runs aren't it's wheel house but I will give it a shot and do pretty damn good
Thanks for the good words. Weirdly I had what is called an A1 compression fracture and when a regular doctor was like "OMG broken back" when I went to this awesome sports hospital we have in here (really worth it going for medical turism for injuries to PL) the doc was basically "naah, a broken arm is worse". It's just I couldn't really train much. The doc recomended swimming weirdly enough but I could not because that was a year my body was testing me and I had a toe infection. So this was more annoying. The shitty job i'm currently at probably has taken more time off my riding and training than that injury.

As for the Capra - my real only annoyance is the brakes. Code R's are shit and I really like brakes with on/off feel. I was about to replace them but I'm on medical leave from the shrink now so not spending any money for a while. If finding rotors for old gustavs wasn't such a pita I'd visit my fathers parts bin and simply put 2006 Magura Gustavs on it. I am still thinking about it.

I'm envious of the chice you have though. I did ride quite a few bikes before the Capra to see what suits me but I really need to find a way to hop on a high pivot enduro bikes. I previously thought high pivots only make sense for DH but I'm open to changing my mind.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Hayes if you want on/off feel & power, and don't want to roll the dice with Shimano's wandering bite point.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks for the good words.

I'm envious of the chice you have though. I did ride quite a few bikes before the Capra to see what suits me but I really need to find a way to hop on a high pivot enduro bikes. I previously thought high pivots only make sense for DH but I'm open to changing my mind.

Always man we all go way back on here and have history..

Yeah the capra kicks ass, code brakes haven't been bad but they do lack a wooden feel, on have 2mm galfer rotors 223 front 203 rear ..
I like the Capra and that's part of the reason I'm going to spend some time custom tuning and seeing what I can smooth out with its weaker spot which isnt really one cause it's not really designed for it.

I had the new slash in alloy, weight I couldn't get below 39lbs without compromise (it was an XL) so sold it and ordered carbon version.

The new one coming in is carbon and almost 2lbs lighter so it'll put me close to the 37-38lb range and for its design it pedals well and literally smooths out chatter allowing you to focus on pushing harder.

If you pedal, park, smoothed track, medium chunk and Enduro style the capra will be the better of the 2. It will handle its own in nastier terrain. My guess is in most cases this would be the faster bike unless you had a section that was more solid DH style (which is not all to common in alot of enduro races non ews)
It is so close to a 1 bike does well with a focus on pedalling efficiency being important..

If you have some uphill with more DH style nasty chutes, rocks and aggressive landings and or trails the slash will own this terrain...
The new crop of higher pivot idler set ups are amazing and have dialed in the inherently weak pedalling efficiency they are known for and growing rear length and not cornering tight.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Do you have a short travel bike? I still really want one of these but the G13 is no longer being made. I think it may be possible to short-stroke the G15 but not sure.

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 8.24.16 AM.png

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Always man we all go way back on here and have history..

Yeah the capra kicks ass, code brakes haven't been bad but they do lack a wooden feel, on have 2mm galfer rotors 223 front 203 rear ..
I like the Capra and that's part of the reason I'm going to spend some time custom tuning and seeing what I can smooth out with its weaker spot which isnt really one cause it's not really designed for it.

I had the new slash in alloy, weight I couldn't get below 39lbs without compromise (it was an XL) so sold it and ordered carbon version.

The new one coming in is carbon and almost 2lbs lighter so it'll put me close to the 37-38lb range and for its design it pedals well and literally smooths out chatter allowing you to focus on pushing harder.

If you pedal, park, smoothed track, medium chunk and Enduro style the capra will be the better of the 2. It will handle its own in nastier terrain. My guess is in most cases this would be the faster bike unless you had a section that was more solid DH style (which is not all to common in alot of enduro races non ews)
It is so close to a 1 bike does well with a focus on pedalling efficiency being important..

If you have some uphill with more DH style nasty chutes, rocks and aggressive landings and or trails the slash will own this terrain...
The new crop of higher pivot idler set ups are amazing and have dialed in the inherently weak pedalling efficiency they are known for and growing rear length and not cornering tight.
Thanks man.

As for the ride style - yeah my main thing with Idler bikes is if you don't live in an inherently rocky area you have a choice. If you ride life assisted rough trails - why not get a DH bike anyway? That's why I didn't understand idler enduro bikes. At least as a mass market thing and not a niche product for people living in gnarville.

As for 1 bike does all I agree. Giant wanted to do a similar thing with short travel Reign but I'd rather have a more progressive bike with some travel to save my ass when my adhd meds wear off and I get stupid ideas.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Supposedly Nicolai will make just about anything in their back catalog if you ask.
Ah yes. I also heard it. Not sure if it's still the case but I remember some insane people who hated their nutsacks ordering the lambdas because they liked the look

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ok so nomad got hung up on a nasty rocks 1 felt like it bottomed out...it may have but it kicked bike and made a hard impact lol

Some pedal bob seems like I am over rear too much, so up the low speed compression...

So need to run a couple more runs and see what time I need to do...aside of that it was fast and nasty quick on rocks. Only hang up I have is hands fell asleep.. so need to work on bar sweep

Last edited: