Quantcast

New Manitou 160mm Fork

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
How on earth is noone talking about this new fork here?
probably waiting to talk about this : "Prototype Enduro Fork just arrived in the mail! Once we get the decals and internals installed we will post a picture of it! Exciting times! Cheers, DVO"

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If the damper is anything like the Dorado I'm pretty excited about this.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
:rofl: i thought the same thing. aside from the dorado, everything they've been doing is XC.
The 140mm travel Minute is a pretty nice fork for AM duty. I've been riding one for a year or so. It was much better than the Fox 32 Float I tried before I bought it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The 140mm travel Minute is a pretty nice fork for AM duty. I've been riding one for a year or so. It was much better than the Fox 32 Float I tried before I bought it.
can you elaborate? I'm interested in the tower for a 29er project. I hear great things regarding tunability of the MARS spring and everybody loves TPC+ anyways.

I'm not really scared off by 32mm stanchions, though virtually everybody else is. This fork should solve that, whatever they call it!

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
can you elaborate? I'm interested in the tower for a 29er project. I hear great things regarding tunability of the MARS spring and everybody loves TPC+ anyways.

I'm not really scared off by 32mm stanchions, though virtually everybody else is. This fork should solve that, whatever they call it!
I have it on a Transition Bandit 26. I test rode a demo and found the bike awesome, but really held back by the Fox 32. It just seemed harsh and flexy. I bought the Bandit as a frame only and put on a Minute 140 (after having previously used a minute on another trail bike) and was astounded at how much better it felt. Super plush while not being divey (is that a word?) especially since I'm around 215lbs. You can get a complete tuning kit from Manitou with all the bits and pieces you'll ever need to customize the shim stack. I really think they are an under rated fork, perhaps because of a smaller marketing budget than the big boys.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Interesting stuff. I'd like to hear more about this new fork. Will probably need to pick up a 150-160mm fork in the next bit and my early impressions from my Dorado are very positive. Hopefully we'll get more details from Eurobike.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Nice! Looks like it's going to be a tough game in the long travel single crown enderpo game this year.

Manitou's Mattoc
MRP's Thing with stuff in it
RS's Pike
Devo Plastic Sapphire

Not to mention whatever else is already kicking around...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
that foam thing they described sounds like the only maybe questionable thing? but when you compare it to the bladder config of other forks it doesn't really seem that far out. curious to see first ride reports.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that foam thing they described sounds like the only maybe questionable thing? but when you compare it to the bladder config of other forks it doesn't really seem that far out. curious to see first ride reports.
it sounded like, under a cursory read, that oil bleeds out through it? or is that wrong? It could be neat, but I guess I'd worry about wear over time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Why couldn't they make it 20mm?
Looks like it's time to get a 20mm to 15mm adaptor kit
There's your answer.

Let this be a lesson...buy good hubs. Hopes, kings, and I think hadleys are all convertible between any retarded standard that's going to make whatever other retarded standard obsolete in 5 years.

Although...I bet we see 25mm axles come into play within 3 years. Once 20mm is fully obsolete, 25mm will be under way since no hubs can fit 25mm axles. Everybody switches over to 15, but now you gotta pay to play! 25x120, better for 29/650b/27.5/your mom!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why does everyone always go so crazy for axles. I'm way more scared of fore-aft flex and the binding associated with it (or just snapping). This is where 1.5 comes into place and I think this is where the manufacturers have focused. looking at this pike, 20mm or 15mm, whatever, but that crown, steerer and stanchion interface better be pretty damn good, given how light this thing is and what it's intended to do.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it amazes me that it took this long for a fork manufacturer to put both high and low speed independent compression adjusters on a single crown fork.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^ that's interesting you feel that way cause I've always felt a difference in mine, granted the adjustment range isn't huge.

Regardless, I'm real excited by this fork. Great features, competitive weight (far lighter than my 36), probably as cheap or cheaper than anything else. Will be interested to see the reports from those that jump in first.