Quantcast

New Fox 40 availability?

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Contemplating selling my Avalanche Boxxer for a 40, but I'm fine waiting until next season or so if that means getting the newest and greatest 40.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
after checking out a Session with said Fox 40, I'm not so excited. It's basically the same as the 888 of old, with a coil spring and air "preload" system. Wake me when there is a fully air-sprung 40.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The "Hybrid Air" 40 on the Trek is basically a Trek creation. I much prefer the standard coil-sprung version from Fox in terms of feel.

The new 40 is a fully air-sprung fork. Time will tell how good it is!

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Haven't heard anything about the full air...I'm talking about the hybrid air/coil system seen on the Treks along with lighter lowers, and bleed ports.

Does Fox have a "normal"/ consistent release period throughout their line?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You're getting your wires crossed, as are a few others.

The hybrid air/coil system is on the Session 9.9, is a Trek development, and available already - but only to those who buy the Trek bike. It's not particularly impressive IMO and the coil feels much better.

The fork with the pressure relief ports and lighter lowers is the new 40 RAD fork which runs a full air spring. It's entirely possible that Trek could choose to run their 'hybrid air' system in this fork if they wanted (because parts are compatible to my knowledge), however that is not how it comes standard.

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
You're right seems I missed that...
"In a later communication, Mark Fitzsimmons corrected PB's guess that the 40 RAD's spring was a hybrid: "The spring system is unlike anything out there in the gravity suspension world. It is a 100% FOX design that has several different adjustments for individual riders' weight and riding style. It is not a hybrid system. The Trek World Racing team races on FOX designed spring systems."

That is slightly disappointing as I much prefer coils...Maybe I don't want to wait for this new 40.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They aim at 2014. So I wouldn't be too eager about selling your boxxer. I'd also want to try it but only because I want something air sprung that isn't a boxxer.

gnarbar

Monkey
Oct 22, 2011
That is slightly disappointing as I much prefer coils...Maybe I don't want to wait for this new 40.
same here. thankfully, I just dumped my 2010 Boxxer WC for a new 40 and have no regrets

weight's not everything, and so far, it feels pretty damn awesome

but I will be so out of koolnizz in 2014 when the RAD comes out....

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
looks like a killer fork after watching the last WC race from France and noticing pretty much all the Men where sporting this fork and putting it thru the paces and it looked to perform flawlessly

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I've been watching the WC closely, as is it just me or do all the Marzocchi riders need some mid travel adjustment? Spagnolo going over the bars this weekend, Matti eating it Mt Saint Anne, as well as most of the other Mz riders plowing thru their travel in the same section... It just seems they lack Highspeed compression or they simple need to go up a spring. Fox and Rockshox on the other hand look flawless on said parts.