Quantcast

new fork on my recoill...

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
So i've basically decided that my old boxxer is on the verge of dying after going thru my un-smooth riding, and also seth and alex from bcd. i found an un-used but still older model super T on a site and was wondering what some of your opinions are of the fork, as far as performance and price go, and wether it would be worth it to buy it over a newer one.

http://wheelworld.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1833&Catalog=39&sort=Price

edit: also will a lower end fork like the super t make my azonic recoil feel way too low on the front end?? i have heard that taller forks are better for this bike but i dont have any expierence as far as that goes...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
600 is steep i think for an '02 super T. you can find them used in really good shape for 300-400.
i don't really have any further opinions on the subject though.
in '03 they stepped up to 32mm stanchions but lost tire clearance. so the newer ones are stiffer but it's hard to run something bigger than a 2.5 in it. for '04 they fixed the clearance issue but took out one of the HSCV cartridges, so it's not quite up to the same level as the older ones.
sorry it's vague, i have limited knowledge on the issue.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
the 30mm stantions i can deal with, i am not too big of a guy, 150 lbs. @ 5'9''
but tire clearance IS a pretty big deal with me, do you know what the clearance on the '02 is??

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The 02s fit at least a maxxis 2.7 as I recall, and probably a micchie 2.8. Good forks, and $600 is a decent price but nothing spectacular. The QR20 system's pretty lame, IMHO. That's the only drawback. I liked mine a lot on my Big Hit.

MD

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
no, the '02 super t used an even less practical QR system where the bottom piece of the dropout bolts to the lowers with a 4mm bolt and uses that big QR. it doesn't use those wing cam thingys
500 ain't a bad price. for new, you're gonna have to search around whole lot to find it much cheaper. i say do it

B

bighitfsr

An 02 superT is not going to hold up well as the boxxer you've killed.
Its performace is questionably better than the boxxer but strength wise its way behind (30mm upper legs and cryofit lowers).

An 03 or newer will be marginally stronger/more durable than a boxxer (similar construction to a boxxer but they weigh more).
Really you should probably be looking beyond the supert at an 888R, pre-03 monster or shiver.

I cracked the upper legs on a 30mm marzocchi right below the crowns doing nothing more than 3 foot drops and nose wheelies (didnt even use them off road).

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
i think $600 is a little high for an 02 fork. i have an 02 supert on my bullit and it rocks, but i wouldn't pay $600 to get it. for $50 more you can get a new 03 from cambria.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
John,

I have to agree, I think a new Boxxer would be a better choice for you. The 30mm stanctions won't hold up like you're hoping. What exactly is wrong with your boxxer? They are easy forks to fix.