Quantcast

NEW DH frame?

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
ok so new frame time i think...in time for my alps trip.

i ride a bullit with 888's at 8". crazy angles...crazy bb height..fun but tricky.

looking for a more steep rig, that can be jumped..just because i dont want something like the old v-10. been looking at anything. price is not an issue. and i want something fairly light..not a big fan of super heavy dh bikes. prolly something slightly more advanced than the bullits pivot system, to make up for my sketchy unsmooth riding style..

cheers lads.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If you live in the UK why not the 223. Its light and a proven design with even more refinements this year. Its my first season on one and I love it but my best advice is if you decide on a frame make sure you ride it first. Nicolai also make some interesting bikes from the looks and its a German company so its within EU but then again with the current low dollar you get a lot of bike for your pound.

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
i dont understand why id pay more money for a bike with essentially the same pivot system. i want to pay for an advanced bike..to make up for my sketchy and unsmooth riding.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If your problem is sketchy and unsmooth riding I don't know if any bike will help that but good luck trying it in the Alps :D . I do think you can find unadvanced single pivot bikes that do a good job like Turner, Orange and Foes and there is a big difference between a DH specific designed single pivot and a freeride bullit but if a more pivots is your thing then go for it.

B

bighitfsr

"i ride a bullit with 888's at 8. crazy angles...crazy bb height..fun but tricky"
"more steep rig, that can be jumped..just because i dont want something like the old v-10"

You need a frame that offsets the tall 888R with a low BB and steeper head angle. You want something lighter and more jumpable than a v10.
A Turner DHR fits the requirements perfectly.
Not sure about the BB height but the foes fly might be another option.

"price is not an issue"

Risse or Go-ride crowns.

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
turners..are an option too, but i can get demo9s cheaper than rrp. as with dares.

ive heard the demo9 was designed for the 888..whether this is marketing hype or not, i dont know..i would then imagine, crowns are not req'd.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
JK:UK said:
turners..are an option too, but i can get demo9s cheaper than rrp. as with dares.

ive heard the demo9 was designed for the 888..whether this is marketing hype or not, i dont know..i would then imagine, crowns are not req'd.

1 vote for demo 9. I've ridden one with an 888 and loved it I also know for a fact they have a much more understanding warranty department than mr ellsworth. You also won't get crossbar up your ass when leaning over the back wheel.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
JK:UK said:
i dont understand why id pay more money for a bike with essentially the same pivot system. i want to pay for an advanced bike..to make up for my sketchy and unsmooth riding.
I have owned/ridden both a Bullit and an Orange Partiot and trust me the bullit doesn't even belong in the same room as an Orange.....D

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
I love the DHR. I think it's beautiful.
However, I live on the east coast and race at Plattekill. The BB on the DHR is a bit low for east coast riding.
Result? Design and build my own bike. Out of steel. With DHR qualities.
So, I'd vote for a DHR aswell, or a foes DHS.

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
Have you had a look at the PDC Racing DH One? Theres a review on descent-world.co.uk. I can set you up with a test ride because your from the uk(at a dh course). If you ride the bike trust me youll never look back....

thanks

mike

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
BMXman said:
I have owned/ridden both a Bullit and an Orange Partiot and trust me the bullit doesn't even belong in the same room as an Orange.....D
I've spent a bit of time on both, and they do both "belong in the same room" - the dungeon! :nuts:

Seriously tho, it sounds like a Turner would fit the bill perfectly.

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
err hang on...my choice was the bullit or the patriot last year.. the patriot is not half as good as the bullit.

demo9 it is i think.

any idea what kind of weight you can get them down to? 888's with light hubs 32h 321's, light spec?

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
You should check out the sinister r9, the bike is built around the 888, it may be a little heavy but when built right it feals nice, that thing can definatelly be jumped and raced.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
no, busted spoke team sponsor, but I wouldnt just say it if I didnt think it was true, it might be a little heavy for what you want, but I was just saying you should take a look at them.

iljicS

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Budapest, HU
What about the Yeti's ? DH9 perhaps too heavy for your specs, the AS-X will be good enough and its much better than Bullit, but I don't know the head angle with a 888.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
if money is no object then you might want to consider the canfield custom frames. i've heard great things about them. you can't really test them out unless you fly out to the wwestern US to their shop or find a customer of theirs.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Sounds like you need a Kona Stinky, they are fairly light, steep angles, and great suspension...
Sorta... slack head angle, steep seattube angle. Kinda weird, not really the most DH orientated setup.