Quantcast

Neutral Density Filter question

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I love, love, love shooting with my f1.8 35mm prime.

What I don't love, is fighting the sunlight for that beautiful, shallow DOF the lens gives you when the shot calls for it. I'm looking at some ND filters to help that out, but not sure if -1 stop is sufficient enough, or should I go up to -3?

Anyone have some experience they would like to share on this?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you are fighting tough sun, it's likely that 1 stop won't cut it.

next time you are in those conditions, just take note of what aperture you have to shoot at min ISO/max shutter, and then see how many stops it's over f/1.8

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
your thoughts on lee filters?
I've only borrowed a set of grad NDs to do some sunset stuff. The kit I used seemed pretty legit but I didn't geek out on them very hard and LOOK for color shifting. It's magenta/pink that usually shows up the worst but it's not something you'll notice where I used them where the filtered part is only above the horizon in pretty sunset colors. That's all I got on those guys. They seem to be somewhat well respected in the realm of 'not schott glass' filters.

I just mentioned the vario ND thing because it's kind of sweet having one filter to cover 6 to 8 stops of darkenationing™

The only problem I've had with the ones I've used (including the heliopan) is that since they're essentially two polarizers, you'll get some really subtle crosshatch patterns. It's nothing you'd notice in an individual shot but when comparing wide open to full 'closed' you'll see the shading. For stills it's not big deal at all. I only noticed it because of some of the timelapse stuff I shoot where I've tried to rotate the thing across multiple frames.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Thank you very much for all of your responses. I figured the -1 stop on that filter would be not enough.

But, on the other hand, if my filter costs more than my lens....I need to think more creative with my lens.

"darkenationing™" Strong work, sir. Great word. :thumb:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Would setting a custom white balance with the filter in place help with the color shifts of less expensive filters?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Would setting a custom white balance with the filter in place help with the color shifts of less expensive filters?
Usually yes.

Unfortunately one thing you can't tune out is the image softness that also comes with some of the cheaper filters. I'd suggest that whatever you buy, do some good locked down tripod shots in various light and do comparisons of what your camera looks like with/without whatever filter you get. It if looks like crap, return them immediately.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I love, love, love shooting with my f1.8 35mm prime.

What I don't love, is fighting the sunlight for that beautiful, shallow DOF the lens gives you when the shot calls for it. I'm looking at some ND filters to help that out, but not sure if -1 stop is sufficient enough, or should I go up to -3?

Anyone have some experience they would like to share on this?
Yeah, don't shoot in the middle of the day. Spend that time riding.