Quantcast

Nelson, BC

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm not local, but I rode some pretty seriously gnarly trails up there with Freeridetours.com

hope I'm not mentioning anything that shouldn't be mentioned.....

you must do "The Monster" - one of the burlyist trails I've ever ridden bar none..
(Monster is not IN Nelson, but a hour or so away)

"The Gimp" is in Nelson and is pretty tough

and "Newt Sack" (or is it "Nut Sack"?) was awesome! - there are many more trails in the area, a few which I rode, some I haven't - check with the bike shop on the main drag in Nelson & see if some locals will help out - shuttles would be a b*tch! (unmarked logging roads with multiple turnoffs to unmarked trails to start) - you will NEVER find these trails without help....

good luck, have fun, take lots of armor and a long-travel bike!

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
one of the guides on my Freeride Tour rode a Brody hardtail and one of the kids from Vancouver Island was also on a hardtail - you'll have a good time - just be smoove....

The Monster ends with one of the biggest ladder drops I've seen (not in terms of height - but how long it is to a very big drop - 18'?) - it was in one of the RF Freeride video contest videos this year - look like a train trestle over a cyn it's so big!

cross the logging road from that ladder drop and you start "Mr Skinny" - one of the more difficult trails of ladders I saw in BC - short, but VERY skinny ladders, bridges etc.

my favorite in the Nelson area was "Newt Sack" - fun, technical, but not off-the-hook tough....

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Just head to a local shop and ask them for a map... maybe try and hook up with them for a ride.
We rode "Main Vein" a big climb and long DH, flowy singletrack with some stunts and steeps thrown in. I also like Nut Sack and Smiling Buddah... to be honest there's a tonne of riding there.
If you have wheels maybe head to Rossland too.. 007, Oasis, Whisky, Dewdney trail... all amazing trails.