Quantcast

Need steel hardtail mtb recommendations

JoanRHammack

Chimp
Aug 13, 2014
I just recently broke the frame on my Surly Instigator and am looking for some input on a new frame. Preferably something suited for freeride/trail riding. appreciate any feedback

edit: price range is around $300

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Kona explosiv. That bike is the bomb! Seriously, my coworker has one and it just feels right. I'd upgrade the fork and put a dropper post on it and go ride.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i can't say enough good about the explosif, check it out...good angles, great dropouts, and they sorted the cable routing this year...

here is mine before it got dirty

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I hate to say it but I'd go the Ragley too, the Kona is nice but the HA is too steep unless you run a 6" fork. A slacker frame with a 5 or even 4" fork is the way to go, in my opinion anyway.

EDIT- The Chromag is way over the OP's budget.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
On-Ones suck! Both in build quality and geometry, people that rave about them are idiots!

Slack seat angle and short reach make them climb like crap as you are cramped when off the saddle and when you are sitting they just want to lift the front unless you run a 4" fork or run a low bar height(but then they want to buck you when the fork is compressed).

A blue Pig is a half inch longer in reach has a much more useful headtube size and looks like it has a stay that will flex less under braking.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Will a 27.5 x 2.3" wheel/tire fit in the Blue pig? I'm building a Hardtail as we speak and wanted the On-one 456 Evo carbon cause their carbon frames fit a 650. If the Blue pig will fit a 650,then maybe I'll change my frame.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry, I couldn't tell you but there are at least a couple of people on here with them. The carbon On-One does look pretty and supposedly rides ok but I just can't stand the geo, my current frame is a bit longer in the reach department but I still find it a bit cramped when off the saddle.

The Commencal Meta CrMo also pops up on sale from time to time(sadly not in Oz because the importer is a dick) they are slack, super low but I don't know what the reach is. Also if you aren't super tall the NS 650B frame may suit you.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I too have an Explosif and it's an awesome bike. Angles are perfect for it's intended (trail) use. That said, I assume the OP is running 26" wheels so it probably wouldn't be the best choice. My recollection is the BB is about 12.5" with a 150mm Pike.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
On-Ones suck! Both in build quality and geometry, people that rave about them are idiots!

Slack seat angle and short reach make them climb like crap as you are cramped when off the saddle and when you are sitting they just want to lift the front unless you run a 4" fork or run a low bar height(but then they want to buck you when the fork is compressed).

A blue Pig is a half inch longer in reach has a much more useful headtube size and looks like it has a stay that will flex less under braking.
I'm looking into the same thing as the OP. By what's available online though, some of what you're saying is wrong such as the top tube is 1/2" shorter. Here's some comparisons

456 Evo carbon or steel-
Sa- 71.2 Ha- 65.7 Reach- ETT-603
456 carbon-
Sa- 71 Ha- 67.5 Reach-416 ETT-609
Blue Pig-
Sa- 72 Ha- 66.5 Reach-409 ETT-605
Piglet-
Sa- 72 Ha- 67 Reach- 414 ETT-605

Was it an older model that you rode on? Ttyl, EC

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm looking into the same thing as the OP. By what's available online though, some of what you're saying is wrong such as the top tube is 1/2" shorter. Here's some comparisons

456 Evo carbon or steel-
Sa- 71.2 Ha- 65.7 Reach- ETT-603
456 carbon-
Sa- 71 Ha- 67.5 Reach-416 ETT-609
Blue Pig-
Sa- 72 Ha- 66.5 Reach-409 ETT-605
Piglet-
Sa- 72 Ha- 67 Reach- 414 ETT-605

Was it an older model that you rode on? Ttyl, EC

Hmmm, never really looked at the carbon(even a Cr-Mo On-One attracted too many weirdos) wonder why they set that thing up with decent geo? The EVO carbon is the same Geo as the EVO 2 Cr-Mo frame so it has quite a short reach.

Also it looks as if one frame is measured with a 5" fork and the other with a 6 so the ETT will change slightly. They aren't great with their Geo, a wheelbase spec would be handy. Still it's better than my current frame, the manufacturers site said that the ETT was 620mm, it's 600, pretty solid difference.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Also keep in mind that those ragley numbers (blue pig and piglet) are sagged not static based on the suggested fork for each frame so the HA as typically measured is much slacker than 66.5 or 67.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
is that a 150mm pike? whats the ha and bb height with that?
It is but im about 2 days away from dropping it to 140mm with a new solo air spring, I don't know the updated numbers with this fork, i just know it rips trails apart. The 150mm was making a bit 'light' in the front on the climbs so I decided to drop it just a bit.

I think I am going to pick up the ti version of this bike soon, it just fits my local terrain and style really well...

Those blue pigs are some of the uggliest bikes i've ever seen.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It is but im about 2 days away from dropping it to 140mm with a new solo air spring, I don't know the updated numbers with this fork, i just know it rips trails apart. The 150mm was making a bit 'light' in the front on the climbs so I decided to drop it just a bit.
I just did the same to mine. BB height is 12.25" with the 140mm Pike.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just did the same to mine. BB height is 12.25" with the 140mm Pike.
How was it to do? I was a bike mechanic for years so im pretty good with most stuff, i just havent messed with the pike yet. I really dont want to take the whole thing apart when its running great. Ha.