Quantcast
  1. XenForo is here. Problems or comments on the new site? Please report them.
  2. New stuff: Our new Classifieds have launched. Check them out!
  3. New stuff: You can now tag users in posts using the @ symbol, and they'll get a notification that they've been mentioned. Try it out.

My trip to Nepal and Mount Everest Base Camp

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Polandspring88, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Polandspring88 Superman

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Saturday March 31, 2012 – Lukla to Kathmandu (2 days)

Another day, another early wake up. We quickly packed and had a bite to eat as we were off to the airport to catch an early flight. It was just a short trek up to the terminal where a first come first serve line was forming for each of the airlines. It was humorous going through security; compared to the high tech X-ray terminals found in most large airports security here consisted of a metal detector and someone looking through your bag. After a quick screen, we sat in the waiting area for the planes to arrive. Given how early in the season it was, I was surprised at how many people were flying back. Never the less, it was a short wait before we boarded the creaky aircraft and began taxing down the unique runway. It was slightly unnerving looking through the windshield and seeing the mountain in front of you growing as the aircraft picked up speed. And then we lifted from the ground and were in the sky. The Himalayas appeared out the window and slowly faded as we descended out of the mountains. Civilization, here we come!

We had the pleasure of spending the next few days in Kathmandu, seeing the sights and visiting some of the places we did not have a chance to before the trek. The schedule initially had us staying 3 days in Kathmandu, but for Tim, Jane and I, that was 1 day too long. We hoofed it down to the local airline office and got our flights changed to the following evening. Even at $275 (ouch) it was worth it to get home a day early. Highlights of the short trip included playing frogger in what could only be described as free for all intersections, almost getting hit by a car, and seeing a girl projectile vomit out of a moving van with 15 people in it. Just another day in the city.

The bulk of the two days were spent drinking beer, eating good food, hanging out with new-old friends, and seeing the sights.

We had the opportunity to visit another one of the old cities where we were wowed by the wood and stone carving, a festival where everyone was giving food, the local pot makers, and the crematory. It gave us a great insight into how the locals live, and it appeared to be a humble, yet fulfulling lifestyle.

It all flew by in a blur, and before we knew it, the three of us were packed up and in the courtyard of the hotel exchanging goodbyes with the rest of the crew. I found myself a little choked up; I had spent the past three weeks with these people, sharing our lives and going on one hell of a journey. One dark, bumpy ride later and we were on our way to the airport, off to Doha and then home.

We said goodbye to Jane at Doha and the journey ended just as it began. Tim and I spent the 11 hour layover in the airport lounge and hopped on the flight to DC together. 13 hours later we were back on US soil and making our way through customs. Little scrutiny was paid to us, I have a feeling that the beards and stench validated our trekking to Mount Everest base camp story. We exchanged a hug and a handshake and went our separate ways. I hopped my flight up to Boston, and that was the end of my adventure.
  2. The Toninator Muffin

Rep  |  Likes:
    1   |   0
    Awesome. Any advice for personages considering this trip or some of the others in the same region?
  3. Polandspring88 Superman

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    I'm putting together a few thoughts as far as that goes, but my #1 recommendation at the moment would be to buy and wear a Buff everywhere. It'll help with the air pollution in the city and help with the airborne dust on the trails. I am so glad I brought one of those and a slew of cough drops to help keep everything clear and hydrated.
  4. CrabJoe StretchPants Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick

Rep  |  Likes:
    5   |   6
  5. Polandspring88 Superman

Rep  |  Likes:
    0   |   0
    Nice find! I forgot to post that one up.
: tl;dr